Windshield Gaskets - Interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield Gaskets - Interchangeable?

Hey R3V, I noticed that there are two part numbers for the OEM front windshield gasket - 51311962985 and 51311972248

They are both for 09/87+ cars, and as far as I can tell the only difference is that the 51311962985 version is for cars with airbags. That, and it's $50 cheaper.

Is there any reason why my non-airbag 325i shouldn't use the cheaper version?

Bump... anyone have any input for me on this?

Comment

Bump... still wondering about this. Anybody have a reason the airbag one wouldn't work on a non airbag car?

Comment

maybe the airbag one is designed to pop out from the force of the airbag deploying? so it doesn't impede the function of the airbag. If so, then I'd imagine the non-airbag seal to be more secure... but that's just a guess

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          maybe the airbag one is designed to pop out from the force of the airbag deploying? so it doesn't impede the function of the airbag. If so, then I'd imagine the non-airbag seal to be more secure... but that's just a guess
          Yeah I can't really think of anything else... the sheet metal is the same, the windshield PN are the same, and the dash PN are the same. Those are pretty much the only things the seal could interact with, right?

Comment

This is the part number of the one I bought for Klaus after paint - I linked to ECS here since you did though I didn't buy it there.

51 31 1 913 887

It's an '87 with an 11/86 build date if that matters (I don't think it does).
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
              This is the part number of the one I bought for Klaus after paint - I linked to ECS here since you did though I didn't buy it there.

51 31 1 913 887

It's an '87 with an 11/86 build date if that matters (I don't think it does).
              I think that is only for early models - different gaskets because you have the chrome strip molding where late models have all black molding

Comment

As far as I'm aware the only difference in the moulding is the color, and they are interchangeable.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  As far as I'm aware the only difference in the moulding is the color, and they are interchangeable.
                  Having swapped a late lock strip to an early car I can confirm this is correct...and the early strip is plastic that hardens with age with a BS chrome finish that turns black. The late strip is epdm and will last forever....not to mention it looks better
                  Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 04-29-2017, 08:56 PM.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X