Pistons for m20 Stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apostate View Post
    Turbo charged or not, doesn't matter. What matters is the revs.
    It is the revs that put an enormous load on rods, pistons and pins. Not the boost. Period.

i suggest to go and read some more..

Comment

That's my point too.
      Internet is a great place to learn from but there are people there who know a thing or two about alloys. And about metallurgy science.
      Otherwise, it is great to learn from the internet. :)

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
        i suggest to go and read some more..
        Suggestion redirected back to you. :D

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          Andrew, it is a 2618 piston if its JE and it's turbo charged imo I base this on the forging they used

Je diagnosed it as inorrect install saying the locks came out of groove and pin moved out of position. It doesn't look like good fi pin imo looks very thin wall so the pin flex works the piston bosses.

Regardless of the alloy on any part the geometry has to be appropriate

improper circlip install was my first thought as well. Unfortunally pictures in that post were not good enough to focus on areas of interest for telltail signs of circlip failure: opposite/undamaged side piston balcony area, rounding of the edges on the broken side, circlip marks on the side of the wrist pin or the lack of, etc.

Comment

Suggestion redirected back to you. :D
            I'm not the one with PERIOD after each statement. But yes, I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
              I'm not the one with PERIOD after each statement. But yes, I'm still learning
              Each statement? No.
              Only after the RPMs statement and I stick to it. :)

Comment

Turbo charged or not, doesn't matter. What matters is the revs.
                It is the revs that put an enormous load on rods, pistons and pins. Not the boost. Period.

ned this before (30K miles)? I guess you sold quite a lot of pistons of this alloy while working for IE?
                To play the devils advocate if 2618 wasn't strong enough maybe none of us should contemplate building engines anymore....

There is a thread on here where guy tightened an Arp head stud and it broke must be the wrong material for the job
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I guess someone with 2618 has to make an input. Cause you guys are only 4032 gathered here. :)

Comment

Digger, make up your mind once you write on. It's hard to follow all of your edits.
                    Cheers.

Comment

I guess someone with 2618 has to make an input. Cause you guys are only 4032 gathered here. :)
                      no one here is trying to convince you of anything, 4032, 2618, 4018, 2632, shitcake....whatever floats your boat.

Comment

One only needs to use their powers of observation for what works and what doesn't.
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

@SkiFree - while you are being generous about the 2618 alloy, how come you never mentioned this before (30K miles)? I guess you sold quite a lot of pistons of this alloy while working for IE?
                          Fair enough question. I went over pros/cons with whomever asked for my input.

Best of luck finding what is right for you.
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Fair enough answer. It is just disappointing that you didn't share your "thoughts" earlier on this forum or somewhere else.

Because 30K miles limit is important and it is quite a while that you are not working for IE as I understand.

Active user like you on this forum should have shared his observations to the wide public a bit sooner, don't you think?

Don't get me wrong, but helping a community doesn't contribute much with yours or Digger's earliest posts.

Or may be all of us around here are not at your high level, so we all have to take your posts for granted without explanation whatsoever...

Cheers.

Comment

I'm sure I've seen him mention Itva couple years ago atleast, iirc in a thread about the new IE mahle ms Pistons one of the driving reasons behind it. It may have been in his build thread

Comment

Sure.
                                I don't mind a bit, it was just for the folks that are "learning" from you, clever guys. :):)

Comment

Working...
                                X