Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not just tune your own Motronic chip?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a software developer for embedded systems. I also have a fairly good grasp of what an ECU does. I also have a pile of blank EPROMs. When it came time to chip my 325is that I autocross, I bought a MarkD chip. Why? Because I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, I didn't want to spend the enormous amount of time and money it would take to get to the same place I could get to by paying for Marks development.

If you want to experiment, I highly encourage it. Just remember that it takes more than a $40 chip burner. If you are playing with air/fule ratios and don't have a good wide band AFR logger, you may do more damage than the cost of a chip. You also need dyno time. In the end, I wanted the performance and the MarkD chip was the cheapest way to go (love it, BTW). I don't want to experimant. I do that for a living. On my off work time, I want to drive.
    sigpic'87 325is, S50, Lightened Flywheel, Ground Control suspension, Strut Tower Braces, Roll Bar, Five point Harness, lots of little go fast things.

Comment

Thanks for explaining it to the others who may get dazzled by HakenTT's simplistic view of things, CoClimber. I've been developing embedded firmware for world-class products for over 30 years so I know a thing or two about proper firmware development, unlike hacker boy here.

Here are two patents from a previous life:

And that's not all. But I'm sure Haken boy has a big list of automotive patents.
      URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca

Comment

$200 to tune the entire ECU? huh? I spent over $300 and that was just the WOT ignition curve. Please let me know where you have a dyno that is that cheap..
        You're back to making baseless claims and lies.

if anyone wants to use tunerpro/ostritch, they can just as easily go to those sites and figure it out for themselves.
        Here in Phoenix AZ it is $50 an hour on a dyno on a "dyno special" day. I am not making facts up. I can get you the phone number.
        With tunerpro you will need a good XDF for our ecu, you can't make that up, it takes lots of time making, and that I am donating to comunity.

Why is everyone hating on this guy so much? All he's doing is sharing information.
        Its the BMW sindrom. Fact is most other car enthusiasts are tuning their OBD1 ecus easy, GM, FORD, honda, nissan, saab and many others. Saab community even has free flashing software for all of their OBD2 cars that come with free tunes. Why does BMW have to be in the darkness?

MarkD, you seem to be very upset that I pulled the BMW ecu tuning out of the darkness. If you want to debate ecu tuning we can do that

Comment

this is nothing new... it's more complicated than you're making it seem, though. I lol'd when it was mentioned that you don't care about checksums. HAHAHAHAHA

but people, feel free to go grab a copy of winols and bull shit around. it's not like opening up a standalone and having 2 maps that are labeled "ignition" and "fuel."

good luck.
          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
            this is nothing new... it's more complicated than you're making it seem, though. I lol'd when it was mentioned that you don't care about checksums. HAHAHAHAHA

but people, feel free to go grab a copy of winols and bull shit around. it's not like opening up a standalone and having 2 maps that are labeled "ignition" and "fuel."

good luck.
            On a motronic 1.0 and 1.3 there is no checksum required, you can make changes to the data and ECU does not care, there is no checksum place anyway. The later Motronics 1990+ do need checksum correction, those are on E34-E36 cars.

I also re-wrote the whole Motronic code for 173 ecu where there is only one map for fuel and one map for ignition. You can find it at tunerpro site and it is named HakenTT software, so that puts it closer to stand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by HakenTT View Post

Why does BMW have to be in the darkness?

MarkD, you seem to be very upset that I pulled the BMW ecu tuning out of the darkness. If you want to debate ecu tuning we can do that
              I dont think you pulled it out of the darkness and if you think the 173 DME does not need a valid checksum, you are still in the dark.

I'm not upset at all that you released XDF files for people to use. You seem to have forgotten that about a month back you offered to email a copy of my chip to Marsuper and told him to just buy a programmer and make his own. Or did you forget?

And I saw a post that you made on Bimmerforums where you said that Miller and I were the Canadian scammers. Did you forget that one?

What part of this do you not understand? Anyway, I have nothing else to say to you at all. I'm not sure why Nando un-banned you and it looks like he is not sure why also.
              Last edited by MarkD; 03-16-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Other people who have tuned their own 173 can confirm that checksum is not required.

I have never said that I will send your tunes to anyone, you are making that thing up. I don't even have your tunes.

You are not willing to share any information about ecu tuning, so why are you trolling my post, you don't want people enjoy E30 more, tune their own ecus, you don't want that. Why would I need to get banned when I am providing my own depeloped free information, to make out cars more enjoyable...

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  we hate you because you're a pathetic fucking moron. I thought I made myself pretty clear after I unbanned you, yet here you are. You're back to making baseless claims and lies.

if anyone wants to use tunerpro/ostritch, they can just as easily go to those sites and figure it out for themselves. they don't need your bullshit.
                  :firehop::firehop: :giggle:

Comment

Other people who have tuned their own 173 can confirm that checksum is not required.

I have never said that I will send your tunes to anyone, you are making that thing up. I don't even have your tunes.

You are not willing to share any information about ecu tuning, so why are you trolling my post, you don't want people enjoy E30 more, tune their own ecus, you don't want that. Why would I need to get banned when I am providing my own depeloped free information, to make out cars more enjoyable...
                    You deleted the post where you offered to email the file directly to Marsuper yesterday. I'm sure that's why you were banned.

And if you don't have any file of mine, why did you make a post asking why I adjust the checksum, etc? How can you ask they if you have not seen the files?

Oh look here it is:

Originally Posted by HakenTT
                    I can send you the file for free then you just burn yourself a chip.

As for MarkD chips, I have been tuning Motronic ecus for 10 years now and all that MARKd does is advances the timing maps, it would be cheaper now to buy a eprom burner few flashable eproms SST27SF256 and burn yourself chips. I already made tuning software for free. And if anybody needs a tune I will send him a file via email, don't waste money on vendor's rip off prices.

How short is your memory? I see now that maybe you were offering one of your files but when someone asked about my chip and you chime in with that repsonse, what am I supposed to think you are offering? But I'd still like to know how you can discuss what you think is in my chips if you never analysed one...

Stop playing silly games.

I can repond here if I want, especially when it concerns posts you have been making regarding how I run my business and what I do or don't do in the chips I sell.
                    Last edited by MarkD; 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM.

Comment

What I was telling is that I can send MY OWN tuned file to anyone. My files are good and they are free.

Your chips are proven to be good, you tuned them on a dyno and people should buy from you, no doubt, I support you MarkD.

But for people who want to tune their own E30 then they can use my own personal files, I posted some on tunerpro.net and on ecuproject.com

Comment

Hey Mark - since you're going "there": When you started to make the chips you sell, where did you get the base map from? Did you pay BMW for it?
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

What I was telling is that I can send MY OWN tuned file to anyone. My files are good and they are free.

Your chips are proven to be good, you tuned them on a dyno and people should buy from you, no doubt, I support you MarkD.

But for people who want to tune their own E30 then they can use my own personal files, I posted some on tunerpro.net and on ecuproject.com
                          I'm not sure how you support me when you siad on Bimmerforums that I am a Canadian scammer, and you offered to email some file to Marsuper when he mentioned he was wanting to buy one of mine. And then you ask why I appear to not like you?

Comment

Here in Phoenix AZ it is $50 an hour on a dyno on a "dyno special" day. I am not making facts up. I can get you the phone number.
                            With tunerpro you will need a good XDF for our ecu, you can't make that up, it takes lots of time making, and that I am donating to comunity.

Its the BMW sindrom. Fact is most other car enthusiasts are tuning their OBD1 ecus easy, GM, FORD, honda, nissan, saab and many others. Saab community even has free flashing software for all of their OBD2 cars that come with free tunes. Why does BMW have to be in the darkness?

this has nothing to do with tuning the stock ECU (I could care less), and everything to do with you being an asshat.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              Hey Mark - since you're going "there": When you started to make the chips you sell, where did you get the base map from? Did you pay BMW for it?
                              that's a straw man argument right there. BMW isn't selling tunes, except with their cars.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                                The base map is in every BMW, so you have a licence to use it with one car. All I am selling is a "delta" to the base map which you should already have in your ECU. I see where you are going with this, but why not ask Turner and Dinan also? I am selling a modified file to people who already run the base software. I'm not selling them something that BMW charges extra for. BMW is not losing any revenue because I am selling a modified EPROM, and that is what is important. But the changes made to the base software is my IP. I'm only charging for development cost for the changes, the method of delivery and the postage etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X