• Show
Clear All

H&R sports are definately stiffer than the cup kit
    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
      I SERIOUSLY beg to differ on that one.

I've rode in several H&R Sport e30's and they all handled like wet mops compared to mine. Tons of body roll, very floaty over bumps, a big overall disappointment.

My cupkit rides alot harsher by comparision, and handles alot better then H&R Sports.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

well maybe my experience is different since ix sports are not the same. my car isn't exactly soft though :P
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

*shrug*, good friends 318is has Sports and bilsteins, and his car is noticably stiffer
          BEERTECH

Comment

I concur with Jordan. I don’t know what’s all the hoopla with the cup kit being soft. To all those making accusations, have you driven an e30 with cup kit? It puzzles me; H&R must have gone back and redesign the spring rates or something. I picked up the cup kit back in late 2002. I can tell you this; my car is far from soft. I have yet to encounter problems with rubbing, binding, or bottom out. My current tires are over sized 24.7 inch in diameter, and I have yet to come in contact with my front finders. All that being said, having ridden in Bill’s 318 with H&R sports the cup kit is much stiffer.

Comment

um, I have the cup kit, i'm not just talking about of my ass
              BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                Originally posted by Rob
                I SERIOUSLY beg to differ on that one.

I've rode in several H&R Sport e30's and they all handled like wet mops compared to mine. Tons of body roll, very floaty over bumps, a big overall disappointment.

My cupkit rides alot harsher by comparision, and handles alot better then H&R Sports.
                I've driven them, back to back.
                Nearly identical cars.

Cup kit is weak-sauce and wayyyyyy softer than H&R's
                Its a looks oriented spring setup, not performance based.
                Below the radar...

Comment

that is......unless you're hitting the bumpstops with every suspension flex, then I bet it feels pretty stiff
                  BEERTECH

Comment

Having driven a cup-kitted car with 3k on it, versus my H&R sport/Bilstein sport car that I've run for 6 1/2 years, the Sport/sport setup is noticebly stiffer than the cup kit.

If you don't want too much of a drop, I would personally try and track down a decent set of M3 springs and pick up some bilstein HD's. That would make for a more aggressive setup, but still wouldn't be an offensive setup for a daily driver on rough roads.

-Charlie
                    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                    FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      um, I have the cup kit, i'm not just talking about of my ass
                      Rob I already knew you own the cup kit, I wasn’t speaking to you, and it was just a general statement to those who keep speculating. As far as being week sauce, I call bull when it comes to my car. Funny I feel every bump, pebble, and imperfection in the road. This all from driving at normal speeds road in a car with J-stocks, GC, and H&R sport, and as I stated earlier the H&R sport were the softest and J-Stock being the stiffest.

Comment

Look I'm not trying cause conflict here. I’m just going by my experience with different set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                          Having driven a cup-kitted car with 3k on it, versus my H&R sport/Bilstein sport car that I've run for 6 1/2 years, the Sport/sport setup is noticebly stiffer than the cup kit.
                          I'm going to have to agree with this. H&R Sports are noticably stiffer than the Cup Kit.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Re: Suggestions, then?

Originally posted by e30Matt

I was merely stating that buying GC's and leaving them at their topmost height defeats the purpose of buying them. The point of having coilovers is to have the abililty to raise or lower the ride height of your car as you see fit, so why buy an adjustable suspension when you're not going to adjust it?
                            Actually, for those who GC actually designed the suspension for (the racers), the point of getting them is to have your own set custom rates (which are insaely higher than standard lowering springs) and to have the height where it performs best. Look at my sig. My car isn't nearly as low as other's on the board, and to me it's too low. I can actually run out of shock travel in daily driving (on Konis), I likely won't have it at this height next year. Travel is a good thing.

Also back to the original quote I posted, how would having GC's all the way up defeat the purpose of them? It may still be lower than stock, but more importantly it's where the driver wants it. Just because it's adjustable you have to lower it?

Comment

Re: Suggestions, then?

Originally posted by Mystikal
                              Originally posted by e30Matt

I was merely stating that buying GC's and leaving them at their topmost height defeats the purpose of buying them. The point of having coilovers is to have the abililty to raise or lower the ride height of your car as you see fit, so why buy an adjustable suspension when you're not going to adjust it?
                              Actually, for those who GC actually designed the suspension for (the racers), the point of getting them is to have your own set custom rates (which are insaely higher than standard lowering springs) and to have the height where it performs best. Look at my sig. My car isn't nearly as low as other's on the board, and to me it's too low. I can actually run out of shock travel in daily driving (on Konis), I likely won't have it at this height next year. Travel is a good thing.

Also back to the original quote I posted, how would having GC's all the way up defeat the purpose of them? It may still be lower than stock, but more importantly it's where the driver wants it. Just because it's adjustable you have to lower it?
                              Agreed. People over look travel. As you run out of travel, the spring rate starts approaching infinity (well, it goes >>>up). Inversely, grip starts going down. That said, there is nothing wrong with making USE of a progressive bump stop, so long as you aren't slamming into. I believe Carroll Smith once said something to the extent of, "If you aren't using your bump stops you aren't using all of your suspension travel."

FWIW, Bilstiens would possibly reduce the likely hood of bottoming out, since they are a high(er) pressure shock, and more compression damping. But I don't know what spring rates you're running so the rebound damping may not be adequete, and the ride quality will probably suffer from the high-pressure design (ie, feel more of the "small stuff").

I don't know why people think that because you have coilovers "slamming" it is the correct ride height. The whole point of coilovers is being able to adjust the suspension to the height you want (either for looks, travel, fine tuning for corner balancing, or raising it for the winter) with the rate you want.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Speed
                                Look I'm not trying cause conflict here. I’m just going by my experience with different set ups.
                                Most things cause a conflict here dont worry about it. :P

If you only want a mild drop then do what Charlie said and get m3 springs. Hardly low, hardly scraping territory. Get Bilstien sports too cause the Boge's will blow.

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                                X