No announcement yet.

M20 super charger kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's not what I meant by lag - I meant the narrower powerband that results from minimizing lag by using a smaller, more responsive turbo.

There's still throttle lag; a turbo simply can't respond as quickly as say, a well tuned N/A engine with ITBs. it can be somewhat tolerable, but it will never have the same responsiveness. That matters to some more than others.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I agree with that completely.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Personal preference is what it boils down to. Where do you want your additional power? Up high, or down low? That should be the first question one asks himself when considering a swap or a turbo or supercharger. Most often people just go, "I want more power, and I have $1000. What should I do?". Power comes in lots of flavors. What's your favorite?
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nitrous.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

^ Ban
            No E30 Club
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Awwww, c'mon. N20 + Money shift = Legendary status!
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Have a look at this,,,

truly stunning IMO

Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Originally posted by Alpina View Post
                  Have a look at this,,,

truly stunning IMO

http://www.schaper-automotive.com/in...at=c6_e30.html
                  I think r3v is more of a DIY bunch. I'm not so sure $6500 euros full kit is the way to go.

A "Here is the 2-3 brackets and tensioner pulley you need for $250-$300" kind of kit is what I assume would sell well. Then add a write up and a shopping list for all the other parts. Done and Done.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I balked at the price when I looked, but it comes with EVERYTHING, including a standalone computer + tune.

The tuning is something everyone on r3v leaves out. you're looking at at least $1k for a decent computer with sensors, and dyno time here is $100+ an hour, so figure several hours at least of that, plus the time & gas spent tuning all the other parts of the engine correctly.

I'm still skeptical of their HP claims though..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Centrifugal SC are basically belt driven turbos so it's completely possible they're seeing higher hp than a roots style SC
                      1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

^

Yes, but you are limited to whats in the overdrive and pulley sizing. The higher the gearing in the box, and the smaller the pulley the greater your parasitic loss which translates all the way across the power band.

I know I am late but a proper sized turbo is going to be very often a size or 2 larger than the stock factory equipped units. For several reasons, but primarily for nandos point of response (especially in the North American market where "low end power" is what most people want and are used too, and the thoughts of if you rev it up, it will break it sooner) and warranty/reliability issues

There are lots of reasons but persoanly I want a turbo for my power adder vs a S/C set up Roots or Centrifugal

Edit: Example, my bother runs custom turbo setups for every thing he has. One is a factory based 2.3 ford in a 2wd ranger for a dd that makes about 300hp, and gets 35mp rolling down the highway. Is a touch laggy for stop light racing, BUT is very very streetable and that is mostly due to tune. The other is a Holeset HX55 engineered onto a 1 off 100% custom yet factory based GM 3.4 DOHC v6 LQ1 making close to 600hp on 12psi, (might be 14psi ICR) (engine was built to handle 2 bar hopefully) but does not really spool till close to 2600rpm. Its also quite streetable as well as you can putter around town, and not really get into the boost, but this comes with tuning,.
                        Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-31-2015, 02:29 PM.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                          Centrifugal SC are basically belt driven turbos so it's completely possible they're seeing higher hp than a roots style SC
                          And a power curve shaped like the Eiffel Tower.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

Eh its not that bad. The power is at least linear. I dont like engines that run out of breath at 6k..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It is not cheap... but i think it is worth it,,, quality and all in
                              Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                              ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                              E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

it kinda depends what your plans with the car are.
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X