Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to drop weight from an e30 convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
    Removed weight, moved battery to trunk. win
    If it is this simple then why did BMW go through all the trouble to relocate the battery to the front?

Comment

probably the price of the copper wire to go to the trunk, bitches were getting cheap as you can see in the e36
      "I wanna see da boat movie"
      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

anyways....... verts are for cruising and getting hoes

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
          probably the price of the copper wire to go to the trunk, bitches were getting cheap as you can see in the e36
          If that's the case, why didn't they move the batteries to the front in all the e30's?

Comment

Chop off your legs

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              Chop off your legs
              You've also got two kidneys... loose one of those for more weight. Toes are unneeded too
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the Ă¼ber project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by BenDem View Post
                If that's the case, why didn't they move the batteries to the front in all the e30's?
                it started later when they realized hence the change

Comment

When they through the trouble of altering existing production methods for one style, it would be trivial (and more cost effective) to just move the whole range over to the same method when the vert was introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                    it started later when they realized hence the change
                    E36 batteries are in the trunk. Also, early e30s came with it up front (318 ). Your logic doesn't add up.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                      Removed weight, moved battery to trunk. win
                      yea i think this is the best way to go,
                      pull the spare and unbolt the top for the summer if you have a garage deff get a front strut bar

Comment

A vert with reduced weight will be benefit performance if it is done carefully. To date my 89 car has the following weight reductions:

No central locking
                        No AC including evaporator
                        No viscous fan
                        Lightened bumpers
                        UUC BBK
                        D Force LTW 15x7's
                        M3 alum. control arms
                        Minimal engine insulation
                        NO vibration damper
                        Lighter exhaust system
                        No oil cooler
                        No EVAP cannister
                        Lighter seats
                        Lightend cowl cover
                        CF hood
                        Lighter battery

I have added some weight with the B35 and 260/6 as well as a Luke box and Mason X brace. The plan is to get it corner weighted and see if I need to address any major imbalances.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

you know, I have no idea why the batt wasn't in the trunk like the other E30's. A damn good trivia question, let me know if you find out.

I'm guessing it has to do with the extra bulkhead trunk wall thing that they added and not enough schedule before production started.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                          If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Old thread I know. However wondering if anyone has weighed the difference between the soft top and hard top off of the car?

Im debating competely removing my soft top in favor of the hard top.
                            Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                            Cab
                            billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                            : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                            88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

The entire soft top can't weigh all that much

I know the thread is old but I want to add my 0.02.

1. The weight on the rear corner is to reduce cowl shake. I've driven both with and without it and there is a obvious cowl shake when driving with an empty trunk and without the weight. The reason bmw put the e36 battery there is because the e36 battery is vibration resistant. Being that the weight is there to absorb vibrations, putting a vibration-susceptible battery there wouldn't make much sense. You can swap it out with an AGM battery and not have a problem (which would actually be better because they are valve regulated and you wouldn't have to set up an acid leak tube to prevent rust in the corner there) however this is a lot of work and not really worth it just to save a few pounds. (I have a 100% entire kit to swap the battery if anyone is interested)

2. I like bigger cars and I feel like my convertible drives like a small version of a 5 series. So I'm not really going for nimble or light, but it does feel nice in the corners. It feels to me like a small big car, rather than a big small car. If that makes sense.

3. Anything you can remove from a convertible you can remove from a hard top and now you're back where you started. Just buy a cross brace and swap the motor for more power. A convertible is a different experience but still a fun one

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

the entire soft top and frame is actually very heavy. the frame is steel. i would guess it weighs well north of 80 lbs. i would say it weighs just slightly less than my hard top does. however, with that said, it seems like a pretty silly proposition to remove it in order to save weight. as mentioned earlier, it is a cabrio for gods sake. just enjoy it as the cruiser it is.

the good news is that it is attached with only 6 bolts. you can take it off easily. good luck getting it to line up properly when you go to put it back on.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X