M20 Head install fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Head install fail.

Okay, so my cam was completely wiped out, so i pulled the head to rebuild it. new valves, seals, rockers, rocker shafts, camshaft. put it back on and was following torque sequences and order. first i tightened to 30nm then i did 90 degree turn from there 15 minutes later (exactly what the writeup says to do.) i got to 8th bolt and this happened.
    What to do now. this was my daily, and i have been without a car for a while now, any recommendations? i don't want to rebuild another head, if i could weld aluminum i would just tack it back on, because it doesnt look like that vital of a piece. any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Are my eyes just not good enough to see the head bolt washers?

Sorry, I'm old

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Odd that it broke there. I have seen it before though, had a head I pulled from an m20 that had had one of them welded back together.

At the very least it will need to be pulled again to have a professional repair done. Didn't you get another head?
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Are my eyes just not good enough to see the head bolt washers?

Sorry, I'm old
        This. Op are you not using washers?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

They are apart of the headbolt.

Comment

your supposed to use washers. you are not.
            the washer will cover most of the surface area.

Comment

Originally posted by soates4 View Post
              They are apart of the headbolt.
              Uh, no sir, they are not.

Do find your old head bolts, pull the washers off and buy new bolts.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

my mistake, new to bmws. all my other head jobs ive done washers always came with the bolts.

Comment

my mistake, new to bmws. all my other head jobs ive done washers always came with the bolts.
                  Yessir, I speak domestic as well.

Lets just hope this turns out well!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

i have a friend with a head hes is going to sell me but i have to wait a while to get it. i have to drive this car, i am going to temporarily epoxy it back together as a band aid, until i can get his head. i feel that it will be fine due to where it broke and that there are no moving parts.

Comment

i have a friend with a head hes is going to sell me but i have to wait a while to get it. i have to drive this car, i am going to temporarily epoxy it back together as a band aid, until i can get his head. i feel that it will be fine due to where it broke and that there are no moving parts.
                      JB Weld

I mean it has weld in the name so its probably just as good

Comment

i wouldn't do it if i wasnt in this position.

Comment

reusing bolts to?
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

No buying new. They are too cheap not to

Comment

Jb weld isn't going to do anything. Might as well run it as is if you're that desperate. I wouldn't want bits of epoxy running through my engine clogging up oil passages. Plus you don't want that chunk of aluminum flipping around when it falls off.
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X