Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable Camber/toe bolts backing out

I have AKG rear camber & toe adjusters.

Ever since install I have had issues keeping alignment/keeping rear trailing arms bolted. It is VERY SCARY to be on the highway to realize an eccentric has just backed its way out. I have had this happen twice now. 4 wheel alignments are not the cheapest thing either. I wanted an adjustable rear suspension, but not one that was dynamic in its adjustability!

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Can I tell the alignment shop to use some red thread locker? -or blue? assuming I'd need the tough stuff.
    Can I get a professional to put a safety wire hole in these bolts? That should stop them from backing out.

Maybe the bolts are just too short? Happy to hear all suggestions.

TIA
    02/1992 E30 Cabrio
    02/1989 E34 535iS

If memory serves, the AKG adjusters utilized bent brackets instead of machined brackets. This meant that the washers were not sitting snug into the bracket (there's a number of old threads on this if you look).

Hence why a large number of people used the IE adjusters. It's not a perfect system still, but it's an improvement over the AKG setup. A more robust adjuster is the Posi-loc style adjuster from IE.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

What sort of nuts are on the other end? Id be putting some decent nylocks on.
      and if you are a really concerned drill a small hole in the bolt past the nut and put a split pin through it, then it cant physically come out.

Comment

I used garagistic parts and they have been solid, I did however replace the locking nuts when i did the subframe exchange.

Comment

Nylocks are a good idea and prob what Ill be doing next.

The nuts and eccentrics are from a BMW X5. The ones currently installed are new.

# 33-30-6-786-186 (washer) and #33-32-6-760-668 (nut)
          02/1992 E30 Cabrio
          02/1989 E34 535iS

Comment

Working...
          X