UUC front sway bar install problem - Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UUC front sway bar install problem - Confused

I'm trying to install my front UUC sway bar but I'm running into a problem with mounting the brackets.

From these instructions I'm getting that I would use the original bolts for the front bolts that hold the from subframe/cross member in, which is scary since I loose a lot of thread on the bolt after adding the bracket hardware. Then I would use the smaller bolts that were included in the kit for the rear.

Further more, even if there was enough thread on the bolt, the flat bracket's holes are too small to fit the front subframe bolt through.

So, where do I go from here? I feel like I'm missing something here or not understanding the install instructions. The rest of the hardware is correctly installed on the sway bar / end links and I'm only left with two bolt and nuts... I would need four if there were new ones for the subframe.

:thankyou:
    Last edited by AllydNYC; 07-26-2016, 10:14 AM.
    E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

bump. Should I take some pictures of the bolt? Maybe I'm missing something obvious since there are no replies.
    E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

Comment

The subframe bolt is pretty long. Maybe the previous owner replaced it with a shorter one. Picture of the subframe bolt?
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
        The subframe bolt is pretty long. Maybe the previous owner replaced it with a shorter one. Picture of the subframe bolt?

I replaced them with new ones, they are the same length and verified the part number. It just seems crazy to loose some threads on the bolt especially when an M52 is going to be sitting on top of it.

Looking at IE's setup, https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...wybrpvtmt.html it's the same thing... it only includes one bolt. So I guess it's fine. A lot of people are running with these setups.

Comment

You should be good then.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

I'd think new bolts should have been provided. Seeing as it's a rip-off of the IE kit and that kit provides new hardware.
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
              I'd think new bolts should have been provided. Seeing as it's a rip-off of the IE kit and that kit provides new hardware.
              Looking at the picture IE's bracket, they just provide one of the bolts needed (technically two, one for each side), which is the same thing as UUC. The bolt provided isn't the one that holds the front subframe to the chassis.

---
              This is about the bolt just not fitting, not that you loose threads doing this. Plus the attitude/poor customer service I received on the phone.

I just got off the phone with someone at UUC, they're very proud of their product to say the least and said with all of them that they sold, it's impossible for this one to have an issue... This sounds like the same stuff people go through with their lightweight flywheel problems... The reason that they sold so many is the reason why I went with them, along with my rear sway bar, short shifter and rod

I confirmed with him that there should be absolutely no modification necessary to anything on the kit. Maybe they can explain how to fit a bolt into a hole that is too small for it to go in without modifying it?

Same picture as the first post. The bolt fits nice the first curved bracket but I can't get past the threads on the second. Yes, these are stock front subframe/cross member bolts

I'm just about done with this kit. ***If I had to modify it, I would, but given that it's a kit, assembled to make it 'plug-n-play' and that I had it explained to me in a disdainful tone that no modification are necessary, this is unacceptable. I'm surprised he didn't ask for pictures or anything on the phone, it's me, not the kit.
              Last edited by AllydNYC; 07-26-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I recently cancelled an order with them when I phoned a week after confirming it was in stock to ask where it was. The delay wasn't the issue but rather the tone and attitude.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  I recently cancelled an order with them when I phoned a week after confirming it was in stock to ask where it was. The delay wasn't the issue but rather the tone and attitude.

Comment

Fyi, the first 3 threads of a bolt carry 75% of the load. Any more than 4-5 threads is just not needed. More than 6 is completely pointless.

Comment

I said fuck that and went and bought the gargastic spacer and dumped the washers

Then looking for a cheaper alternative to their UUC expensive bushings.. I BOUGHT this instead. correct size with my bimmer world bar. everything fit in sweat including my ss headers.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                        Fyi, the first 3 threads of a bolt carry 75% of the load. Any more than 4-5 threads is just not needed. More than 6 is completely pointless.
                        Good to know :D Thanks for that info :up:

Comment

Originally posted by goarmy View Post
                          I said fuck that and went and bought the gargastic spacer and dumped the washers

Then looking for a cheaper alternative to their UUC expensive bushings.. I BOUGHT this instead. correct size with my bimmer world bar. everything fit in sweat including my ss headers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prothane-00-...EQCoBQ&vxp=mtr
                          Thank you for the info and links. I had to pickup a few things from IE so I went with their brackets which eliminate the washer setup as well.

Good links for future people looking up info.

Comment

I'm sure OP is way past caring but I ran into the same issues as described installing my UUC front bar today. The issue is not that it doesn't fit without modifying but rather the instructions could definitely be clearer about which hardware goes where. The smaller grade 8 bolts the kit comes with will fit the slotted bracket/backing plate, while the bigger bolts (non grade 8) are for the endlinks. I probably tried assembling all the hardware 5 different ways while looking at the instructions till I got it right.

Comment

Working...
                            X