Chevy Traverse - any feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy Traverse - any feedback?

I have been looking for a mid-size SUV (for the wife) and might be test driving a 2011 Traverse tonight.

it's a little older and higher miles than I intended, but it's also easier on the pocket book.

Any feedback regarding reliability issues? I haven't found anything conclusive yet.

We also like the 2014-15 Mitsubishi Outlander but very hard to find at least in this area.

Thanks!

I would avoid if you could.

Old job had one of these that employees would use. We drove around a couple square miles all day.

The Chevy lasted about 4 months (roughly 20k miles) before it had so many issues that the company sold it for parts.

On the other hand, we had an early 2000's Tacoma that lasted over 275k miles (roughly 5 years of driving) that had almost no issues.

We also had an 02 Tundra that lasted over 220k (little over 4 years in the fleet) that also had limited issues.

They moved on from the tundra due to gas mileage, and they replaced it with another Tacoma.

The Chevy might have been a lemon, but it was pathetic in how short its time in the fleet was.

If the pocket book is holding you back it may do the job. But I personally would recommend something else.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I think you are barking up the wrong trees with the Traverse and Outlander. Have you looked at the Consumer Reports write up on either of them, as that's always a good place to start?

Anecdotally, the Traverse is something to be avoided when it gets to higher mileage, and generally has poor build quality. I've nothing for you on the Outlander as there seem to be about zero of them on the road.

Unless you are set on some design feature of the Traverse I'd suggest that you might be far better off with a Honda Odyssey or even something like the Element if you can go down in size and make the checkbook stretch a bit.

Comment

Cool thanks for the feedback, it kind of supports some suspicions I had. I have never bought a new vehicle due to the immediate depreciation. Not so much that I can't afford it, but damn, new cars are really asking a lot of money (20k+) for not much value in my opinion. If you want any convenience or luxury you're looking at 25k and that's with rebates and specials.

Comment

Originally posted by mjimport View Post
          Cool thanks for the feedback, it kind of supports some suspicions I had. I have never bought a new vehicle due to the immediate depreciation. Not so much that I can't afford it, but damn, new cars are really asking a lot of money (20k+) for not much value in my opinion. If you want any convenience or luxury you're looking at 25k and that's with rebates and specials.
          Buying a new car is a terrible investment, probably one of the worst you can ever make.

Do a bit of research, there are loads of cool options out there that are wayyy better bang for the buck. Plus, the immediate depreciation is already gone.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

4runner.

Or highlander if you want something more tame.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I'd agree and go along the lines of a 4Runner, Honda Pilot...does Nissan still make an XTerra or do they just have the Armada/Pathfinder now? I would say those would be decent choices.
              "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
              The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Look for a CPO car, best of both used and new car worlds.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

A buddy of mine had a new Outlander a few years ago. Bought it brand new and his wife hated it because of all the things that broke on it in the 2- 3 years they had it. He gave it the benefit of the doubt as he had an Evo so he was brand loyal.

Last year they got an Odyssey. Now both of them are smitten with the decision to go back with Honda
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Regarding the Highlander, what are your thoughts on getting a pre-owned Hybrid?

Especially when buying privately, I would think it would be very risky and expensive to replace a hybrid system.

Comment

Originally posted by mjimport View Post
                      Regarding the Highlander, what are your thoughts on getting a pre-owned Hybrid?

Especially when buying privately, I would think it would be very risky and expensive to replace a hybrid system.
                      Waste of money, the hybrid yields very small gains at a much higher initial/long term cost.

Comment

^
                        Agree with hybrid stuffs, they are way for people that are a little more well to-do to make them selves feel good about "doing some-thing". They are waste of money for more "normal" people, you can buy a lot of fuel for your 30+mpg runner for the premium a hybrid costs with out adding all the associated production byproducts form making the batteries into the environment.

I would not own and would not recommend unibody crossover type SUV's, for many reasons mostly just becuase they are are all common sedan based heavy and dont offer much better economy and far less longevity than their full size counter parts.

Body on frame only, since you are buying a 4wd/AWD Malibu wagon for all intents and purposes but if you are seriously considering a crossover just go buy an outback wagon, all the benefits of hauling people and stuff a crossover will haul, with better economy and cheaper over all costs.

Since about 2008 more or less, for body on frame SUV you are limited to fullsize from anyone you want, and the Toyota Prado chassis Landcrusier based offerings, the 4th and 5th gen T4r's and the Lexus GX's (470's and 460's).

I dont know your budget or needs or restrictions, but I would be seriously thinking about a early Gmt900 (07-14) tahoe/yukon (still have 4h/4l tcase before 12 or 13) with about 100-120k on the clock with out all the fancy options but a good mid trim unit. Very reliable, plenty of room, decent fuel economy, cheapish to fix easy to work on, and should not set you back too much over 17k if not less. If you want something much smaller and maneuverable, and parking friendly, T4R either a 120 or 150 based chassis (4th or 5th gen) they hold their value for a reason, and will net you about the same fuel economy as the GMT, but cost a bit more to fix when they do break unless you have a parts hook up, and are not quite as easy to work on. The GX's the 470's at least can be found for reasonable money and are all v8 powered, but they are going to be pushing nigh on a decade old. Not sure if your willing to buy something quite that old.

Honorable mention, the Highlander is Camry that has been bloated and made 4wd, but there are tons of the running around up here where I live and seem to be making along fine, for most day to day stuff and have seen a couple daring soles take them to places they should not be in the back country this summer.

Anecdotal, My wife's grandparents that have drove nothing but GM or ford for their entire lives traded off their 3 or 4 year old traverse for a AWD Yota Venza (the more car like mashed version of the highlander, the inbetweeny thing). Why because the traverse with like 32k on the clock was starting to go to "shit FAST" (their words not mine, form deeply religious people that think "sucks" used in a negative context is a curse word)...

Honestly in your shoes, a just off lease 3 year old T4R is going set you back about 26-30k and where I would serioully be looking. I say this because my wife and I are slowly shopping for a new unit for her, she really likes the GMT800' and the VDJ200/late UZJ100 TLC's but really dose not like the size for DDing traffic and parking, and likes the 150 based 5th gen T4R's for the traffic and parking but feels they are too small for her overall liking lol.
                        Last edited by mrsleeve; 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

My wife just bought a 2011 Kia Sorento. Its a touch smaller than the Chevy Traverse, but it still has a third row which is nice and gets decent milage for the size. I think a 4-Runner or Highlander would've been nice, but at the price point we were at (~14,000) I feel we got a good deal in terms of value. Get the V6, its decently quick for a larger CUV. The highest end models come with leather and some nice bells and whistles. They used to be full of cheap plastic, but the build is substantially nicer on the 2011+ Sorento.

Comment

I can sum this up for you with smilicons:

I couldnt find the puke one, but it applies too.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I work at a GM dealer.

Don't get the Traverse unless you want to replace the rear evaporator, steering rack, front shocks, and front timing cover for starters.
                              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                              X