R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > M30 & Other Swaps

Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
hambler
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonea View Post
Any reason behind the engine choice?
I thought about a lot of different engines, including (but not limited to), modifying the m20, s50/s52, ls1, lt1, supercharged cavalier z24 engine, carb's and ITB on a SVT focus blacktop ztec, and the SHO engine. Initially I was trying to find a super light all aluminum 4 cylinder, but I couldn't say no to the cost, uniqueness, redline and power of the SHO engine. The plan is to possibly supercharge the engine down the road if I get the swap to work well on a stock engine.
hambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
hambler
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeADE335i View Post
How many degrees is the V on those engines? Looks very narrow.

Great looking inlet manifold on those - I'd seen pics of the V8 before, didn't realise there was also a 6 cylinder version. Should be nice when it's done!

If you find the 6 speed too hard, the Mazda B series pickups supposedly had a 5 speed RWD box that bolts up.
They are a 60* v6, width is not my issue. My biggest issue will be height, which will take some serious modifying of the oil pan/cross member to get the engine low enough.

As far as I know, and I have researched pretty heavily the transmission options for these engines, the only transmission that will bolt right up is the transmission from a ford ranger with 3.0 duratec v6 (the same block as the SHO engine). This transmission is a toploader, which makes the shifter placement very poor, and there is debate about how long they will last being shifted at 8000 rpm. If you can find a '96/'97 manual bellhousing from a ford aerostar (good luck, I couldn't), you can buy an adapter plate from a company to bolt a t5 transmission on.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
hambler
Noobie

So I didn't realize anybody had been reading/commenting on this thread, as I'm use to forums sending me a email notification when someone comments. Anyway to do that on here?

The project is moving slowly, but I believe I am close to having a final adapter plate design. I added a picture of the wooden adapter plate. I ordered an aluminum plate, and hope to make the final part soon. I re-drilled the SHO flywheel for the s2000 pressure plate, but did not realize that the s2000 flywheel is a stepped flywheel- so now I need to machine that step into the SHO flywheel, shouldn't be too hard but the machine shop at my school is backed up right now. It looks like I will be able to get a very thin pilot bushing in my crank, so I'll make that soon too.

The thermostat is on the back of the engine as it will be mounted in my e30, and the thermostat itself closes off a bypass when it opens- something that could be tricky to replicate with a "remote" thermostat. I think I may ignore that problem for now and try to get the engine in the car, then come back to it.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #19
jpod999
E30 Enthusiast

Should be a fun and challenging project, big ups to you for giving it a go! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I drove a V8 SHO as a lemons car for a few races, that engine blew me away.
jpod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #20
hambler
Noobie

Thanks, I actually contemplated the v8 SHO for a little bit, but the cam gears apparently come loose on them and subsequently ruins the engine, which gave the engines a terrible rep. After I embarked on the v6 swap, I learned that you can just weld the cam gears and after that I haven't heard of any major reliability issues. If I had known before hand, I would have more heavily considered it as an engine but I'm too far into the v6 build to think about switching engines now.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #21
hambler
Noobie

Jpod999: What front turn signals are those? I was thinking about making my own out of overhead light panels like they use in schools and offices.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
jpod999
E30 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambler View Post
Jpod999: What front turn signals are those? I was thinking about making my own out of overhead light panels like they use in schools and offices.
Scroll down to the Turn Signals section: http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/e30.html

I bought them from Abrahamas back when they were selling real MHW clears, it looks like they only have kopis (replicas) now.
jpod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #23
supermansocks95
Grease Monkey

Holy swap, sir! Definitely subscribing to this one! Good luck to you, looks like it'll be an awesome swap!
Originally Posted by MR E30 325is View Post
Just circle jerking it Brah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyx View Post
my step daughter gave me and 9 of my buddies chlamittia
supermansocks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #24
agent

Quote:
So I didn't realize anybody had been reading/commenting on this thread, as I'm use to forums sending me a email notification when someone comments. Anyway to do that on here?
This forum (thankfully) does not default to that setting. Go here to activate it:

Klaus | Lola | Hans | Feedback | For Sale | Wanted | Rebuilt Diffs | . . . . . .. . . . .
agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #25
stonea
R3VLimited

Quote:
User CP>Edit Options>Messaging & Notification>Default Thread Subscription Mode> Choose you method of email delivery.

Edit: Agent's is how to subscribe to the thread. Mine is how often/when you want to get emailed.
1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
Feedback

Instagram: stone.hopkins_757_
stonea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #26
hambler
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpod999 View Post
Scroll down to the Turn Signals section: http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/e30.html

I bought them from Abrahamas back when they were selling real MHW clears, it looks like they only have kopis (replicas) now.
Thank you, they're more than I wanna pay though. I'm prolly gonna try to get some free ceiling light panel and if it works, I'll do another write up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansocks95 View Post
Holy swap, sir! Definitely subscribing to this one! Good luck to you, looks like it'll be an awesome swap!
Thank you! Whenever I think about having this completed I get a burst of motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonea View Post
User CP>Edit Options>Messaging & Notification>Default Thread Subscription Mode> Choose you method of email delivery.

Edit: Agent's is how to subscribe to the thread. Mine is how often/when you want to get emailed.
Thanks! I was already subscribed to the thread, but this is what I was looking for.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #27
hambler
Noobie

Well the fun of cosmetic mods continued this morning, with a one way window sticker from one of my favorite movies- Talladega Nights. It was only $15 online, so I'm assuming I'll get pulled over soon and told to take it off but it will be fun while it lasts!
Attached Images

'86 325es 5 speed- cosmetic mods, working out an engine swap

2000 Audi a4 quattro wagon 5 speed- bigger turbo, 20 lbs of boost, Porsche brakes, lowered on coilovers all around, aftermarket interior, etc.

'96 Camaro z28 6 speed- long tube headers, ORY, borla catback- the car sounds good, and does good burnouts... and that's all it does well
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #28
hambler
Noobie

Quick update here: tomorrow morning I'm waterjetting the basic shape of the adapter plate out of 1/2" aluminum, and then it will be on to the mill to get dimensionally accurate holes. I waterjetted a plate of thin aluminum that slipped over the dowel pegs and had a hole in the middle, which allowed me to measure to the crankshaft of the engine and input shaft of the transmission to make sure the two bolt patterns are perfectly centered on each other- which they weren't. I'll just shift the two patterns relative to each other in autocad. The pipe is a slip fit over the input shaft of the transmission and just extended it out so that I could get a reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0633.jpg (61.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (71.8 KB, 45 views)

'86 325es 5 speed- cosmetic mods, working out an engine swap

2000 Audi a4 quattro wagon 5 speed- bigger turbo, 20 lbs of boost, Porsche brakes, lowered on coilovers all around, aftermarket interior, etc.

'96 Camaro z28 6 speed- long tube headers, ORY, borla catback- the car sounds good, and does good burnouts... and that's all it does well
Old 07-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
Farbin Kaiber
Lil' Puppet

Motion to Request Personalized License Plate : SHOHORN

|1983 323i|2001 330iS|
Farbin Kaiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #30
jpod999
E30 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post