No announcement yet.

M42 Full Rebuild now won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, I thought you were selling your engine?

Comment

I don't know shit about M42's, but if this was a M20 I would think the coolant temp sensor or something that controls the mixture while the engine is cold. It seems like once it warms up and the O2 sensor takes over control of the mixture, everything is good. So you may have open loop issues.

Comment

I apologize for not reading 12 pages of this thread but you do have the secret o2 wire connector at the fire wall disconnected correct?
        You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
        I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
        Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

For everyone reading, it was resolved page 11 -- blocked exhaust

It was a bit frustrating to read that you had all these critical components working (i.e. 'fuel is present') when critical tests werent verified (i.e. injectors pulled and verified to be sending fuel). I think you went down so many rabbit holes because of that. You definitely WERENT getting fuel to the spark and thats a critical component. That was figured out at like page 10 lol

Glad its working....

edit: whelp apparently you have a whole other issue. good luck.
          Last edited by jaredmac11; 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Well, it is finally finished :)

In addition to the clogged cat, the 2 crank position sensors that had been tried were incorrect. So we got an additional known working m42 CPS sensor and it fired right up!

DONE.
            Founder
            TheDirtyThirty
            instagram.com/thedirtythirty

Comment

Originally posted by theTBLACK View Post

In addition to the clogged cat, the 2 crank position sensors that had been tried were incorrect. So we got an additional known working m42 CPS sensor and it fired right up!

DONE.

Congrats! I've been reading and lurking, but I'm glad that you finally got it. How's the difference from how the engine was before?

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

It is so amazing and runs so strong I'm super happy. Now I need a good
                Muffler...
                Founder
                TheDirtyThirty

Comment

DONE.
                  What was incorrect about the previous two CPS sensors?

I'm wondering if we had the same issue...

Comment

I tried 3 different brands including Bosch.

The one that made it all run was an OEM BMW sensor from a known running m42 with original equipment.
                    Founder
                    TheDirtyThirty

Comment

It is so amazing and runs so strong I'm super happy. Now I need a good
                      Muffler...
                      Years ago I had my stock muffler cut off and a 2.25" in/out Magnaflow welded in. Was quite at first but then it broke into an awesome deep sound. Cheap and sounded good!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

I tried 3 different brands including Bosch.

The one that made it all run was an OEM BMW sensor from a known running m42 with original equipment.

Do you know the part number? My car wouldn't start with new CPS with the part # 12141721504, which superseded the original.

I also bought a used OEM CPS (off ebay), part number 12141721968, that did work.

Comment

Working...
                        X