Did Turner buy ECS Tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    It's not their fault that people want cheap crap, but if you order one of their 'kits' - they're going to package it with the cheapest Chinese parts they can find, and pocket the difference.
    This is a "caveat emptor" situation, 100%.

Ninja edit: the "Assembled by ECS" kits I looked at just now appear to show the brand names of the included parts.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
      This is a "caveat emptor" situation, 100%.

Ninja edit: the "Assembled by ECS" kits I looked at just now appear to show the brand names of the included parts.
      Kit components have been listed for quite a while, probably more than a year, but not sure why folks didn't pick up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        Kit components have been listed for quite a while, probably more than a year, but not sure why folks didn't pick up on it.
        Maybe we are all on the hate ECS train? I personally try to avoid big conglomerates, but when they buy everyone else you shop from it's tough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

A couple guys here still missing the point.

It is nice to know that the profits from my purchases go to support a small business. It's an enthusiast market and I want to buy from a company headed by a grass-roots enthusiast, NOT an investment firm and corporate CEO. I have no explicit "hate" for ECS, just a strong preference on who gets my profits.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

^++

I have *always* been skeptical of ECS. I'm not jumping on a bandwagon because of recent developments - it only justifies what I already believed.

Our platform has a lot of challenges already - owning, daily driving, and restoring an E30 is getting to be impossible for many people as prices skyrocket.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but BMW isn't exactly supportive anymore either - they want you to buy (or better, lease) a new X-something Msport grand touring, preferrably with an AT (those pesky manual guys waste so many R&D resources).

We don't need poorly run corporations to come in and suck the blood out of what's left of our community. We can't afford to outsource everything to the cheapest products from China - look at what the E36 and E46 communities are, look a r3v on Facebook *shudder*, and decide if that's what you really want for the E30.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

real quick is VAC still good? I'm planning to spend a large amount of money with them and don't want chinashit products
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Are the parts you need not available from Blunt, Levent or Bimmerworld? Obviously the first choice is to support the vendors who support the E30 community, and I will happily support James Clay over a VC group.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                  real quick is VAC still good? I'm planning to spend a large amount of money with them and don't want chinashit products
                  I believe so - I really need to get their ATI damper for the N5x before it goes NLA..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I believe so - I really need to get their ATI damper for the N5x before it goes NLA..
                    Do you suspect it will be NLA? Also can you explain why you'd shell out 800 for a harmonic balancer? I'm trying to understand the real world benefit of this part other than freeing up HP and helping in racecar status.

Comment

because I'm building my N52 for the E30 to have an 8k redline ;)

I doubt they sell a lot of them. Fortunately it also fits the N54, so there's at least some demand.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

because I'm building my N52 for the E30 to have an 8k redline ;)

I doubt they sell a lot of them. Fortunately it also fits the N54, so there's at least some demand.
                        When will the ATi be necessary though? Probably not till after 7k I feel. How often will you realistically be shifting at 8k? Not that I don't see it's potential benefit of your engine being sound with the ATi and maybe peace of mind, but I saw an older post where you said it was a waste of money. I'm just trying to understand.

I'm coming to you for my N52 tune after I upgrade my intake manifold and if you say this ATi is a good investment for the N52 I need to fully understand your wisdom. :)

Comment

it's a waste of money if you have a 3-stage manifold and an otherwise stock engine - because it won't make power above 7k anyway. BPC already proved the N52 can rev safely past 8k, but I'd like *some* safety margin.

and yeah, my E30 is a toy, so I'll probably bang the rev limiter every time I drive it. :)

(also this is waaaay OT).
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

it's a waste of money if you have a 3-stage manifold and an otherwise stock engine - because it won't make power above 7k anyway. BPC already proved the N52 can rev safely past 8k, but I'd like *some* safety margin.

and yeah, my E30 is a toy, so I'll probably bang the rev limiter every time I drive it. :)

(also this is waaaay OT).
                            OT sure... But we've all voiced our opinion on ECS at this point. LoL. Thanks for the response.

Comment

I've been saying ECS sucks for years - welcome to the bandwagon. :p
                              Same here. Last year, I was seriously considering changing the name of our Champcar team to “ECS Tuning sucks a fat dick”

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
                                Same here. Last year, I was seriously considering changing the name of our Champcar team to “ECS Tuning sucks a fat dick”
                                I think that's more of a 24 Hours of Lemons thing, but it would be a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X