M42 Road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
    Fuel pump for sure. That left me stranded once.

Also how old is the cooling system? Might be a good idea to go ahead and replace some of those parts if they're old.
    the cooling system is unknown to me i have bled the coolant and everything works no leaks and thermostat opens up just fine. hoses look very new. i think I'm just gonna grab an extra radiator and maybe hoses and bring them with.
    i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

The radiator is probably unnecessary as a take along, replace before the trip, sure. After all, if the radiator (probably at the expansion tank) leaks a bit you can just refill it as needed. If a hose ruptures at the end you might be able to cut it back enough to get it back on. If the thermostat sticks just remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        The radiator is probably unnecessary as a take along, replace before the trip, sure. After all, if the radiator (probably at the expansion tank) leaks a bit you can just refill it as needed. If a hose ruptures at the end you might be able to cut it back enough to get it back on. If the thermostat sticks just remove it.
        this is all true. i need to think more haha. all great ideas.
        i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Just a simple set of tools to adjust the belts. If you've kept up with maintenance then it should be trouble free. Any more and you might as well drive the flatbed tow truck. Maybe get a AAA membership before you go, it'll cost less than a tow.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
            Just a simple set of tools to adjust the belts. If you've kept up with maintenance then it should be trouble free. Any more and you might as well drive the flatbed tow truck. Maybe get a AAA membership before you go, it'll cost less than a tow.
            This is true, but some people benefit from the thought of being prepared as it allows them to enjoy the trip more thoroughly.

Also, if you plan to get AAA, get it at least a week before you go, and be sure they tow your car gently if you do end up needing it. If lowered, remove your front lip before going on the flat bed, if getting winched up the front tow eye point is not super strong and can twist your bumper. For the rear tow eye, there is a rather expensive OE bolt part that prevents your paint on the eye itself from getting wrecked.

Comment

I drove from long beach to Dallas 4ish years ago. Not one problem with the trusty 318. It's been a good daily since the day I bought it.

Welcome to tx where the car scene kinda blows

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                i have the AAA with 4 100 mile tows.
                i love bmws

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  This is true, but some people benefit from the thought of being prepared as it allows them to enjoy the trip more thoroughly.

Also, if you plan to get AAA, get it at least a week before you go, and be sure they tow your car gently if you do end up needing it. If lowered, remove your front lip before going on the flat bed, if getting winched up the front tow eye point is not super strong and can twist your bumper. For the rear tow eye, there is a rather expensive OE bolt part that prevents your paint on the eye itself from getting wrecked.
                  yup being prepared is big with me. and solid advice about the tow trucks. we have some solid tow dudes here in sonoma and the bring the flat bed with small wood blocks to get it on there right and always from the rear. funny fact i found out AAA is not supposed to tow any modified vehicle at all even just lowered. my friend has a 70 C10 and they left him hanging for lowering springs when we were outta town. i just tell them i have the sport package stock height
                  i love bmws

Comment

Originally posted by d_elson0 View Post
                    I drove from long beach to Dallas 4ish years ago. Not one problem with the trusty 318. It's been a good daily since the day I bought it.

Welcome to tx where the car scene kinda blows
                    awesome ya this is my first M42 and I'm liking it so far. doing a lot of work tomorrow. i got some buddies who are big in the drift scene in austin, not my style drifting but the know some cool bmw guys. come out some time. i hope it doesn't suck to bad coming from the bay area where the scene is awesome
                    i love bmws

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
                      i hope it doesn't suck to bad coming from the bay area where the scene is awesome
                      Not sure if I would call the scene here awesome, but it has its moments. Certainly the E30 people I have met here are great, but that is probably going to be the case almost anywhere since the average age of an E30 owner has to be at least 30 now.

Austin is a fun place, and aside from the hot summers ("but it's a dry heat"), it's a lot like the Bay Area in a number of ways. You also don't need to have a household income of $400k to afford a house in Austin. Just be careful of the BBQ...it is SO DAMN GOOD! There just isn't anything in the Bay Area that compares, not even to Rudy's which is just a chain BBQ joint out there. Austin has also developed a pretty good international food scene, maybe not as crazy as here, but it has come up a lot and you can get decent-anything there. The Mexican food is also better there.

Good luck on the move, I hope that the drive is safe and uneventful. I hear the drive through west TX is a real slog, but at least Austin is worth it.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                        Not sure if I would call the scene here awesome, but it has its moments. Certainly the E30 people I have met here are great, but that is probably going to be the case almost anywhere since the average age of an E30 owner has to be at least 30 now.

Austin is a fun place, and aside from the hot summers ("but it's a dry heat"), it's a lot like the Bay Area in a number of ways. You also don't need to have a household income of $400k to afford a house in Austin. Just be careful of the BBQ...it is SO DAMN GOOD! There just isn't anything in the Bay Area that compares, not even to Rudy's which is just a chain BBQ joint out there. Austin has also developed a pretty good international food scene, maybe not as crazy as here, but it has come up a lot and you can get decent-anything there. The Mexican food is also better there.

Good luck on the move, I hope that the drive is safe and uneventful. I hear the drive through west TX is a real slog, but at least Austin is worth it.
                        i found austin to be a lot like the bay area also when i was there. and the heat i can manage. and shit you just stated the reasons I'm moving there can't live where i want(berkeley/sf) cause I'm not rich. terri blacks bbq for the win in austin. i can't wait for the change it will be nice but ill always miss they bay. thanks for the good luck. cheers
                        i love bmws

Comment

If I could do it all over, Austin would be where I would end up in tx. Seems like it would it me more than Dallas. Lots more outdoor stuff, cool locations to go to, hill country is nice too.

Just do a once over on stuff and take the drive. Make a nice road trip out of it,
                          Lots to see while you're on the road out here

Comment

Originally posted by d_elson0 View Post
                            If I could do it all over, Austin would be where I would end up in tx. Seems like it would it me more than Dallas. Lots more outdoor stuff, cool locations to go to, hill country is nice too.

Just do a once over on stuff and take the drive. Make a nice road trip out of it,
                            Lots to see while you're on the road out here
                            thanks man will do. gonna be making a few stops on the way.
                            i love bmws

Comment

So saturday A buddy and i got a bunch of work done and took a couple shitty photos i figured id share with those who helped me out.
                              replaced all four bilstiens and mounts
                              new steering rack and fluid resivour
                              S4.27 with new gasket and fluid.

heres a lil video getting the rack in there, thought it was awesome that 4cyls you don't need to bend the tabs or drop frame or lift engine. just wiggled right out easily.

heres my buddy cleaning up the diff surface before the re seal.

New diff in there

rack tucked in there nicely

new Vs. old

having tools makes life easy

Getting an alignment today but i did a lil test drive and it all feels great. i still get some noise in the ps when i turn it to the left so theres still some air in there.

Any suggestions on getting it out ?
                              i love bmws

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
                                tire plug kit, fuel line, belts, 2 Coolant block off caps/hose clamps for heater ports, thermo house gasket,relays and fuses, coil, diff/trans filler, lug bolts, tire pump, dme, metal zip ties, fuel pump are absolutely great ideas thank you so much this list is exactly what i needed to see. its all great ideas but those especially i completely overlooked thank you. and i agree should take up minimal space and I'm shipping another car thats gonna be packed with most of my shit.
                                You might add a tube of HondaBond ... Makes a great gasket maker.
                                Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Working...
                                X