Sparco harness Bar install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparco harness Bar install

any1 here running the sparco harness bar? i cant get it to sit rite, it wants to sit in a U shape with the hoop sitting downwards, but i think it should be sitting with the hoop facing backwards...when i try to push it back, it get really tite, and already broke my A pillar panels...:-?
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Are you tightening it down before it is in place? I am assuming you are leaving it loose.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

It gets REALLY tight. I helped Ted install one in his car... I think one of the b-pillar covers actually cracked.

You'll be amazed at how much it stiffens the car up.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

heres my speedware bar. identical to sparco as far as i know.

Originally posted by rwdrift
        Back to E-Rich's car and drifters. His car is baller, purpose built. Posers are fags. KA-Ts suck. I like beer. And I need monies.
        - Erick

Comment

mine looks like ^ rite now. i want to get the hoop higher though, but it already cracked up my Pillar covers just like yours... did the bottom of your support bars have like a triangle metal plate on it with one hole and a notch?
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

were did you buy your bars from? how much
            Anything can be done

Comment

given how the removal/re-install of that bar is a pain, why not just put in a proper 4-pt rollbar?
              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
              '91 SpecE30 #523
              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

check on line:

speedware motorsports.
                Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
                  given how the removal/re-install of that bar is a pain, why not just put in a proper 4-pt rollbar?

I was going to ask the same thing. It seems to damage or require removal of the same parts... the seat, plastic B-pillar covers, etc...

And since you have fixed back seats, harnesses, and no rollover protection, you're toast in an accident that caves the roof in. Worse off then stock, IMO.
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

And since you have fixed back seats, harnesses, and no rollover protection, you're toast in an accident that caves the roof in. Worse off then stock, IMO.
                    I hate to burst your bubble (not really:)), but the structural strength of the human head and cervical vertebrae is less that that of a stock seat back in a roll over situation. So it likely won't matter in a roll over if you are in 4-5-6 point harnesses and a fixed back seat or in the stock seat with the cross-chest belt. If the roof collapses you'd best have jelly/jam in your back pockets as you'll be toast either way without a cage for crush protection.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Not to mention the damn thing costs nearly as much as the VSR 4 pt.

What I was $399 + shipping for the bar, and $549 for the VSR 4 pt.
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        I hate to burst your bubble (not really:)), but the structural strength of the human head and cervical vertebrae is less that that of a stock seat back in a roll over situation. So it likely won't matter in a roll over if you are in 4-5-6 point harnesses and a fixed back seat or in the stock seat with the cross-chest belt. If the roof collapses you'd best have jelly/jam in your back pockets as you'll be toast either way without a cage for crush protection.

Ehhh, with a stock 3 point belt your body will just move out of the way... (best case scenario, anyway)

If you are referring to using a 4/5/6 point, then yes, you are equally as screwed with or without the fixed back seat. If you have a harness, you should have rollover protection. That's what I was getting at. The use of a harness without rollover protection (AKA harness bar) is a bad idea IMO.

Comment

The point of a harness bar and 4 or 5 point belt is to keep you behind the wheel as much to save your ass in a collision.

Roll over is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                            The point of a harness bar and 4 or 5 point belt is to keep you behind the wheel as much to save your ass in a collision.

Roll over is a different story.

Well if you are doing any high speed driving event, why would you put yourself in a position where if your car does roll over you are most likely dead?

I don't think the "point" of harness bars have anything to do with collisions. I think they allow you to use harnesses at low speed events such as autox's where the chance for rollover is low and the desire to hold yourself in place is high.

I don't think anyone has been saved with a harness bar and harness vs. a stock 3 p.t system.

Comment

That's a good point... However.

The chance of a real roll and tumble at an auto X or cone slalom is pretty low.

In just a roll over on flat ground the lid usually holds up pretty well and in this case a harness will keep you from flying around (and possibly halfway out a window... Very ugly sight).

Me personally... I'm all for a full cage.

Comment

Working...
                              X