Megasquirt 3 vs WAR chip - HP gains on a NA motor -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    say a 3.2 liter with a wild cam and lots of head work.

it would need a lot more fuel for start up. also if you change the injector size, the starting PW needs to be different. the stock routine will work great for many motors, and it is definitely easier than tuning your own. Just saying that sometimes, it's not going to be good enough.

standalone isn't for everyone any more than a W.A.R. chip is for everyone.

at least we aren't stuck with piggy backs or those really awful split second MAF conversions anymore.. :up:
    i used motronic and an AFM for quite a while without any major problems on my 3.1L and made more than 200whp. For FI i can see going to standalone but most NA M20's on this forum do not need it. You don't need any data logging, WB etc. Just get a pro who knows how to tune to do it and do it once.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      i used motronic and an AFM for quite a while without any major problems on my 3.1L and made more than 200whp. For FI i can see going to standalone but most NA M20's on this forum do not need it. You don't need any data logging, WB etc. Just get a pro who knows how to tune to do it and do it once.
      so did I. And somehow I think cold starts are just a *wee* bit more important here than they are in Australia. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

For what it's worth, I installed MS2 in my 318is last winter. I had no prior knowledge of anything, and taught myself how to do it all. I built the controller, and an adapter box to avoid cutting any harnesses. I taught myself how to tune it all and get it running well, with a wideband of course. And I was 18 at the time. Basically, if you have the time and the patience to teach yourself how to do it, I'd vote MS. Plus, it's been done on the M20 quite a few times. I didn't have that luxury, so you'd at least have a nice bit of support from others. After a bit of tuning, my car drove better/was faster than the car was with a MarkD chip, and got better fuel economy to boot. I don't have experience with the WAR chip, but the MS experience has been nothing but good. The ONLY thing that doesn't work like factory is the econometer and the average fuel economy on the OBC, because they are on the same circuit, and I bet I could get that working if I cared enough. Even closed loop idle using the factory ICV and AC works. MS can basically do it all.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          so did I. And somehow I think cold starts are just a *wee* bit more important here than they are in Australia. :p
          it depends where in Oz you live, it is not all hot desert and 40C...lol Anyway people aren't getting MS for good cold starts.

MM sell a chip for their strokers so it is not that bad a system so if you then get a MAF conversion and a custom tune thats most of what you'll ever need for a NA M20
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
          X