Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1986 325iX -3.0L Stroker - Now up and Running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well bad news that means the project will go slower than anticipated.

I tried to test fit my manifold, after removing th oil lines I found it does not clear the motor mount. I either will grind away the motor mount, modify the manifold or get a different manifold.

I also found out my oil relocation sandwich moves the oil cooler to where the AC condenser is, the PO did not have AC on his car... I am thinking a different manifold may be the answer because it would allow me to keep the oil cooler (necessary I think on a turbo car), keep AC (if its not broke, why remove it?), and not have to modify the mounts only to find that there still isn't enough clearance.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Well I got the head off tonight and finally got a look at the ross pistons... I am somewhat depressed as they have no dome at all!

The head he pulled from the junkyard, verified '200' casting

Yep, it definately came from the junkyard!

and for reference, the size of the 200 with a gasket from an 885 head.. that wasn't smart, no wonder it didn't run right. Why didn't he atleast clean it?

the current state of the engine bay, notice the oil filter relocation sandwich and how it hits the AC compressor and its not even screwed in all the way! I'm thinking of just removing the whole thing

one head stud is missing, PO said it broke

pretty big valve pockets, not sure what CR this will yield with the 885 head

Interior, I've seen much worse and he dyed the panels

interior as of now, really messy, but the passenger seat is mint!

yay this looks fun. You can't tell but that's a german check panel and german 13 button OBC

At this point I think I will just remove the AC components, I still need to modify the motor mount for the exhaust manifold to fit anyway. I've never done the head gasket or installed a new head before. Anybody have any tricks? especially with the studs? Also should I use a head gasket spray, which one? The head I've got has been decked, idk if that makes a difference.

Thanks for looking, happy thanksgiving!

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

the decked head will help keep your compression up. but lower compression is not a bad thing if you're going turbo. it keeps things safer. since your goals are modest, i dont see why the standard head gasket wouldnt be fine. (as opposed to mls cometic one. $$$) dont use headgasket spray. when you tighten the bolts, use a spiral pattern starting from the middle. you can look up the exact order.

i'd just remove the ac. you live in CO, how hot does it get there? 80 degrees? lol.

congrats on the pick up. very jelly.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

What a basket case. Id toss the AC too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
            the decked head will help keep your compression up. but lower compression is not a bad thing if you're going turbo. it keeps things safer. since your goals are modest, i dont see why the standard head gasket wouldnt be fine. (as opposed to mls cometic one. $$$) dont use headgasket spray. when you tighten the bolts, use a spiral pattern starting from the middle. you can look up the exact order.

i'd just remove the ac. you live in CO, how hot does it get there? 80 degrees? lol.

congrats on the pick up. very jelly.
            It gets up to 100 degrees sometimes, not often but, it is in the 90's during the summer. I would say make the a/c work if you can.

Comment

the movies lied to me.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

I've got an update today.

I pulled the AC lines and found a sheared off crankshaft gear. I had been busy with finals, family, and the holidays but I have finally made some progress.

Here is the old crank gear, it was sheared all the way around, I got the new one installed today too.

The rebuilt cylinder head is about ready to go on and my plan is to put it back together naturally aspirated and make sure everything works right. Not sure if the awd, clutch, and transmission are put together right. I'm crossing my fingers.

But in the mean time I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst... especially since the PO managed to mess this gear up this bad and put it back together with the WRONG cylinder head :/

Comment

I made some progress today.

Here is the newly rebuilt cylinder head

I put the TB back on, installed the alternator I got from the junkyard and put all of the belts and covers back on.

The pictures were taken before I put the manifold on, torqued the bolts, put the belt covers back on, and started connecting everything else back up.

Comment

I just want to say congratulations for your work. I'm happy to see a build thread similar to what I went through, instead of another "clean slammed ellipsoid m50" thread, in which the same thing is built over and over again. It doesn't bother me that a lot of people like that, I just like to see some variety in build threads. Also, that wiring mess reminds me of the two corvettes that my dad has, particularly the 74, in which they built part of a new harness, utilized parts of the old one, and left all of the unused wire in place. Over on Bfc BMWTyro has a euro Baur with a wire mess similar to yours. Any photos of underneath the kick panel? I would like to find out if some of this was done during federalization.
                    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

I like your work! In for more updates. So no turbo huh?

jelly of the ix!! hahah

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
                        I just want to say congratulations for your work. I'm happy to see a build thread similar to what I went through, instead of another "clean slammed ellipsoid m50" thread, in which the same thing is built over and over again. It doesn't bother me that a lot of people like that, I just like to see some variety in build threads. Also, that wiring mess reminds me of the two corvettes that my dad has, particularly the 74, in which they built part of a new harness, utilized parts of the old one, and left all of the unused wire in place. Over on Bfc BMWTyro has a euro Baur with a wire mess similar to yours. Any photos of underneath the kick panel? I would like to find out if some of this was done during federalization.
                        Thanks KI4UJO! I believe i am saving this car from an otherwise certain death. Thanks for the info BMWTyro has some good info and it answered a question I had on the throttle body and a strange thing on the throttle linkage, looks like it vents to the intake manifold. The only thing I can tell as far as wiring goes is the sidemarker lights on the front and back have separate wiring from the tail lights to them. Not sure about the kick panel, but here is a picture. Sorry for the crappy quality but the wire bundle on the right goes to a radio, not sure what a lot of it goes to though. There are these strange black buzzer looking things (the one hanging down in the middle) that cold be a door gong or some sort but it has the same one as my 91 ix also. Most of the wires go to something, will have to figure it out at a later date.

Originally posted by dnick View Post
                        I like your work! In for more updates. So no turbo huh?

jelly of the ix!! hahah
                        Thanks man. I'm putting it back together N/A first, turbo should happen if the AWD and clutch check out!

I did a lot of work today, but it mostly can't be seen. I bolted on the Throttle Body and air bypass valves, installed spark plugs, put on the coil and spark plug wires, put on the coolant hoses, valve cover, and assembled the fuel rail with 24# injectors, put the fpr on the fuel line and found I need a coolant temp sensor. I also need a breather hose from the throttle body to the valve cover. Other than that I need to put the oil level sensor back in, oil filter/cooler, radiator, fan, oil,coolant, charcoal canister line, and afm/icv.

I picked up the stock exhaust today, it was too dark to take a picture but you should have seen a full exhaust from the manifolds to the tail pipes on the roof rack of my brothers e28!! We drove 20 miles with it and got it home.

I am getting the CTS and exhaust manifold tomorrow and will just be waiting on that breather hose before I hook everything else up.The only problem I need to solve is how to close the oil drain. I also want to drain the master cylinder as I have no brake or clutch feel and the fluid in there is low and nasty.

here is how it sits now

Comment

good work dude! glad you solved your crank gear issue. hope the TC and clutch check out, good luck.

Comment

your white ix is bangin! good luck with your build

Comment

can't wait to see progress, it's going to be the determining factor as to which of my cars gets a turbo :P

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by A Sucked Orange View Post
                                good work dude! glad you solved your crank gear issue. hope the TC and clutch check out, good luck.
                                Thanks too bad you couldn't find yours and I couldn't check out your car!

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
                                your white ix is bangin! good luck with your build
                                thanks man, right now it is in winter mode, glad you like!

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                                can't wait to see progress, it's going to be the determining factor as to which of my cars gets a turbo :P
                                Thanks, it is coming along, I will put it together without the turbo first, then make sure the engine is broken in and everything is working correctly.

I have an update for you guys, my crankcase breather hose came in today so I put that in, installed the ICV and intake boot. The power steering was leaking so I took out the alternator, tightened a bolt and I think I fixed it. :D I connected the fuel rail to the manifold, attached the injector clips to the 24# injectors and got stock manifolds. I cleaned the mounting surface up on the manifolds as they were rusty (it turns out coke really does clean rust!) and hooked up the fuel line and fpr.

The list of things to do is getting smaller and finally short enough to make a list on here:

-Install Coolant Temp Sensor
                                -Remove terrible oil feed bracket plumbing from the PO/reinstall oil pressure sensor
                                -connect wiring from oil sensor to the injector harness
                                -install oil filter/oil cooler lines
                                -mount stock manifolds to block
                                -Install air filter on AFM
                                -Connect radiator/hoses/reservoir
                                -install engine fan
                                -bleed master cylinder/check brakes too
                                -fill with oil and coolant
                                -fix last cut wires behind cluster and reinstall
                                -install bumper/turn signals/kidney+grills

Optional
                                -install rest of exhaust system before first start/drive
                                -valve adjustment to make sure they are within spec
                                -finish re connecting cut wires in dash
                                -try to connect swaybar endlinks
                                -reinstall obc to test it on fist drive
                                -connect aftermarket 02 sensor unit to 02 sensor in exhaust/ or install wideband 02
                                -figure out random unknown connectors in engine bay
                                -figure out what to do with the old charcoal canister vent line

I am so close I can almost taste it! You guys may be interested to see this 'control box' mounted on the throttle linkage. Realoem has it connected to the idle system with a vacuum hose to an electric unit. When I got the car it was not connected to anything and I saw another euro e30 with one connected to the intake manifold so thats where I put it for now. The electric unit can be seen on the firewall with a white cap on it. I'm not sure if it works but realoem has a replacement at $230!!!

here is a terrible picture of the connectors I am trying to figure out. There are two similar one with only an inch of wire to move. They are situated next to the fuse box and are identical. I took a picture to show the orange lamda control unit (aftermarket) probably installed by the federales haha. It has 4 wires, power, ground, control, and 02.

Hope to get this thing going by saturday, or monday at the latest!
                                Last edited by downforce22; 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X