Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1986 325iX -3.0L Stroker - Now up and Running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updateeeeee
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Things have been busy the last few months.

Since my last major work on the car, I have graduated from college, started working a 40 hr day job in Denver, Started a full time job back in Colorado Springs, and Moved residences (technically twice if you count when I was staying in Denver). I was sick of the car not running and everything being in crummy shape.

Long story short I got some motivation at Drive4Corners (www.drive4corners.com) in August and moved the car into the 2 car garage at my new place. I have been apprehensive about diving into the car's mechanicals at the moment for a few reasons. Those being:
      • Clutch Vibration - There is a strange vibration in any gear unless the clutch is fully depressed. Even while driving I get a vibration. My assumptions are either clutch disc/pressure plate, clutch linkage/ fork, aftermarket clutch disk, lightweight flywheel, or some combination of the previous.

Engine Smoke - The engine still smokes. I had the head decked, the bottom end was rebuilt (and running great) until the oil pump drive gear came loose and shredded the belt wrecking the head. New valve seals, valves lapped, new gaskets. Theoretically it should be something with the valve seals or headgasket.

No engine hoist - Didn't have a hoist to pull the engine.

Not knowing the problem for the above 2 symptoms, I was apprehensive to pull the engine and make the car immobile. Though not pretty, atleast now it can move under its own power. I do have a line on an engine hoist and stand I can borrow in the next week or two so I have decided to start tear down.

In the mean time I was fed up with not making any progress on the car and I dove into the interior. I scoped out the rust and think with some donor panels I only need to replace the drivers rear quarter and the driver rear tail light area. I also found an early style valence that I can combine with the halves of the original one to make a stock front end, as well as a secret valence that will be a surprise. ;D

At any rate, I pulled the rears and decided to try my hand at pulling off the terrible black paint and find the delicious taurusrot leather beneath.

You all must remember how it started. Nasty black and shiny. You can just see the rear panels here.

As of earlier this week, notice the rear headrests are in pretty good shape too.

I still have the fronts to clean, but that shouldn't be too bad. Wait until you see this interior!

I also reworked my euro OBC so for the most part it now works. I swapped the back half of a US one to the front half of the euro one. A few pixels don't come on and the light doesn't work, but you can see it working under the dim light!

Then I pulled the center console/ HVAC panel out to try to figure out the wiring disaster of the previous owner. Still in progress, but a blown fuse 20 may have been the root cause of the fan not working. It is the 3 speed fan too, which I guess is pretty rare.

I pulled the cluster to clean and diagnose the econometer not working. I may have found the problem on the SI board where a chunk is taken out of the circuit board. I may jumper a line or two to see if that fixes it.

More to come. If you have any ideas on the clutch/ engine please let me know. Could it be the bearing in the crank not being there causing it to be unbalanced? I'm thinking it is a clutch issue.

Stay tuned, this beast is going to drive4corners next year.
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Fixed the 3 speed fan, turns out it was just a blown fuse, and it blows like a whirlwind! The dash is not secured at all, so I need to dive into that and figure out what supports hold the sides of the dash up. Also found a short under the dash that was sparking, turns out the wire is live.

Waiting on some interior clips to arrive so I can put the interior back together. I sorted out the speaker wiring and removed the rats nest of the previous owners attempt at wiring for the gauge pod.I just need to figure out the engine and this should be ready to get back out on the road.

Only one teaser for now.
        Attached Files

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I would love to do a darker brown in my car. I just need a driver seat. Looking good!

Comment

nice build mate, certainly dodged that bullet with that belt. planning on doing a 3.0L build next, have everything almost ready to go just have to finish my current build. good luck will be following your thread.
            sigpic
            89 325i 4 door - current project
            88 325 V8;D - next project

my 325 build
            M20B27i FORSALE maimi fl

Comment

Nice! I know how it feels to build and repeatedly get knocked down. Good on you for being persistent.
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Thanks guys.

I got some update for you if any of you are still interested. I pulled the dash out and tried to fill in the cracks. I would say it is an 8/10. When I was putting it back together a few seams split a little. For my purposes it is good enough and I may throw a cover on it if it is bad. I fixed all of the wiring in the dash, cleaned the vents, fixed the broken vent pods, and started fixing the vac panel that was hardly held in place. I also removed some wiring under the dash, fixed the overhead lights so they turn on when the doors open.

Then I put in a radio that has a color match pretty close to the stock interior. Here are some pictures from the gopro.

I've got to fix stuff still but it is a decent start.

I belive I found the source of my vibration. There is about a quarter inch gap between by transmission and my engine block from the passenger side of the engine bay. I think it has worked its way loose and caused the flywheel to rub on the clutch. Going to investigate. Hopefully this will solve the clutch/tranny issue it has had.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I like the skull!
                  http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by tschultz View Post
                    I like the skull!
                    Thanks haha.

I have been trying to get the car reliable in preparation for Drive 4 Corners in August. (www.drive4corners.com)

I was focused on getting some work done on the car. That is why I started on the interior, I was frustrated with the engine work. The car hasn't driven in about 5 months since I moved to its current location. I also got some worn out OEM BMW floor mats and painted them black. One more interior shot.

I believe I found the problem with the transmission. The block and transmission were not bolted directly together. I think the vibration of the engine must have worked the bottom bolt loose and I realized many of the other required bolts were not there. It probably was causing the flywheel to rub on the clutch disc. Check this crappy photo. I got that lined up and tightened down and I hope I solved the vibration. Might start it up this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X