No announcement yet.

M3 Windshield Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers fellas, maybe all this Afghanistan is winding me tight..15 more days before break.
    sigpic

Comment

great write up.. i need to do mine as well!

Comment

Originally posted by pilotskillse30 View Post
        Cheers fellas, maybe all this Afghanistan is winding me tight..15 more days before break.
        Sounds like you are over due for some seat time in your car. Thanks for your work!

Comment

Thanks for adding the BMW service manual and your comments Brian, it makes the thread more complete.

Originally posted by markseven View Post
          Great post, Jim. Very informative.
          Thanks Mark!

Originally posted by kmarei View Post
          I wanted to do this same task
          Hate the pitting on the windhield
          But will try using a glass polish first, since I only have minor pitting, nothing too serious
          I tried to use Johnson's Paste Floor Polish and it was about the same outcome as Mark described.

Until I feel more comfortable,I will leave this to the pro's. Great job and great looking car.
          Thanks, I would not have taken this on without the help from my son and his friend. The potential for finding rust was what motivated me to take on the job and I got lucky with only finding a little surface rust that I could repair.

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          Understood. I'm not sure why you took offense to my post. Im just pointing out that Jim is fortunate enough to know people with the right tools and knowledge. It's not like he did it himself with a puttyknife and tube of silicone. I agree with you, its not a job for someone without experience with bonded windshields.
          LOL, Puttyknife and tube of silicone. Thanks Barry for your advise prior to doing this. As you saw I used the strap and let it cure for a long time because I was concerned about your experiences with bonded windshields. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me on so many aspects of the E30 M3.

No worries, be safe and thanks you!

Originally posted by Andyman746 View Post
          great write up.. i need to do mine as well!
          Thank you.

I had picked up an E34 for a daily driver which had a new windshield. I did not really notice how bad the one in the M3 was until I started driving the other car. That started the process of saving the money, searching the internet and talking with my M3 buddies about the process. Information was hard to find so I figured that I should create this thread for the M3 community. Looking back on the work we did it really is not too hard if you have the right tools and help from a couple of friends that know what they are doing.

Cheers,

Jim
          Last edited by IronmanE30; 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Pilot...no worries. It's gotta be tough being away from home during the holidays.

Jim, looks like you were smart since you discovered the screen had been changed before and one of the drains were sealed. Was the old windshield original BMW or aftermarket? Good thing we don't live in a very wet climate here in SoCal although it's raining as I type this. You killed two birds with one stone.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

It was BMW glass. Ironically the drain that was plugged was perfectly fine and the one what wasn't plugged had developed light surface rust. Also I believe he mentioned this already but it was plugged with butyl not the windshield glue. Really odd. After setting the windshield I am not so worried about plugging the holes anymore. You would really have to overdue it on the glue to get it to overcome the rubber seal and get all the way into the hole for the drain.

Comment

As Brian said it was BMW glass but actually both holes were plugged with gray soft putty kind of like butyl but not as sticky. The passengers side that rusted did not have as much as the one on the drivers side. I have seen the gray putty used in autobody shops to put between body panels. So, I am not sure why it was there or how it got there. Maybe someone replaced the rubber seal and thought that would help. You are right about being lucky with the rain here in So Cal. The only time this car gets wet is when I wash it and I am leaning toward using a bug sprayer with a "waterless" solution in the future just to keep it as dry as I can.

Cheers,

Jim
                sigpic

Comment

Great post. Are the windshields the same for the non-m and m besides the pop in vs glue in? Is the windshield still available from BMW?

Comment

Originally posted by krayzkrn View Post
                    Great post. Are the windshields the same for the non-m and m besides the pop in vs glue in? Is the windshield still available from BMW?
                    M is approx $125 dearer. They are available from BMW:

M: 51311953990

Regular: 51311466363
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Part number is correct but the price is a little off. We had around $500 in materials at my employee cost.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
                        Part number is correct but the price is a little off. We had around $500 in materials at my employee cost.
                        $500 on top of the cost for the windshield itself?
                        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Nope that was including the windshield.

Cheers,

Jim
                          sigpic

Comment

The windshield alone MSRP is over $400 is what I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

E30 OEM Windshield

Trying to get an OEM windshield for my 89 325is. The parts guy at BMW says 51 31 1 884 397 is still back ordered from March with no ETA. Then he said BMW doesn’t ship glass - WHAT? What have I been waiting for?? I sent BMW Customer Support a message, trying to get some corporate help. I’m hoping someone on this thread might be able to help me.

Supposedly, 51 31 1 466 363 was superseded by 51 31 1 884 397 and according to Sean at BMWPartsStore, it shows 400+ in Germany? Has anyone ordered and received one of these part numbers lately?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Comment

I ordered a brand new windshield from my local dealership about 3 or so years ago... they shipped it from germany and it only took a week or two if I remember correctly. Price was about $330-340.

Comment

Working...
                                X