can I cut out my spare tire well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91greg325i View Post
    Cut it out if its in the way... Also, remove that 40-50 pounds of sound damping.

+ 1

If you're not worried about classing or using it as a street car, go for it. And PLEASE remove that sound deadening.

I'm willing to bet welding in a flat panel the same thickness as the rest of the sheet metal, in the same horizontal plane as the rest of the trunk floor, will actually add structural integrity to that area. Simple leverage and physics tell me so, anyway. I think it will be insignificant either way though.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

i want to run e28 center exhaust, so do this so i don't ruin my dd if it goes horribly sour.. lol, seriously if you do , post some pics,..

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
        I was only suggesting to check the rule book before making such a mod...
        but was that in german?
        '12 F30 328i Sport Line
        '91 SpecE30 #523
        '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Just an update. Cut the well out and removed all the sound deadening. That sound deadening stuff is ridiculously heavy! I had no idea.

Made changing the rear end significantly easier because it gives a lot more head room to work on things. Especially now that the car is lowered. I actually climbed in through the trunk to bleed the brakes, which is a different story that didn't go nearly as well as this project. Because of this, I've put in a piece of sheet metal using bolts instead of welds or rivets so I can have the room to work again if/when I need it.

A quick note about cab noise. Wow....seriously louder now. Removing the deadening material and the sheet metal made things a lot louder than I thought it would. It's not deafening or anything like that, but it's way more noise than I would be OK with if this were a DD or something like that. In cabin conversation on the highway is no longer possible. Just an FYI.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll try to post pics when everything is cleaned up and painted.

Last edited by lateracer; 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

what did you use to cut it? looks like a nice clean cut.
            :borg:

Comment

I cut mine out and I love it. Makes changing the diff's, diff fluid, axle's much easier. I also rolled the BMW logo and sprayed a rattle can bedliner to clean it up a bit. The bead's also made it stronger
              ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

WTF.... I was just about to post that pic. :)

Comment

^^ looks clean

Comment

Very nice! I want to do this in mine, I'm just more worried about it looking shitty. I was thinking to plasma cut mine though.;
                    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                    2875-C Towerview Road
                    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

I used an angle grinder with cutting wheels. $20 from Harbor Freight. I used masking tape to mark the line I wanted to cut. The metal is really thin, so it's an easy cut.

E30Idea, that looks pretty nice; basically what I'm aiming for in terms of a finished look.
                      sigpic

Comment

I never thought about more road noise... I'd guess it's caused by wind hitting the rear valence. I wonder how hard it would be to make a rear diffuser to minimize that.

Comment

Guys, that is NOT sound deadning: it is ballast.

4 bangers don't have it, and 57 pounds is not needed in the the floor of the trunk to kill road noise. That shit is all about keeping the balance of the car.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

late cars don't have trunk tar either (6cyl or 4 cyl)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Are you sure? My '91 had it.
                              Originally posted by LJ851
                              I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                FWIW, my '89 325i had it.
                                '89 325i track sloot
                                '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Working...
                                X