Hard to start engine right away once shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to start engine right away once shut down

If i have hard time restart my engine within the first 2 mins after I shut down my car (and this happen regardless of engine temperature / outside temperature), what could be the reason?
    Car always starts at morning, idle fine, no CEL.
    Any idea?
    Current:
    '88 325ic Silver 5sp
    '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
    '14 Rav4 EV (with tons of torque!)
    '06 325i Black 5sp
    '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
    '00 Boxster Silver 5sp
    '98 New Bettle Yellow 5sp

Check Crank Position sensor first. It should read 500-550 ohms. I had similar symptoms till it refused to start at all.

Comment

Check Crank Position sensor first. It should read 500-550 ohms. I had similar symptoms till it refused to start at all. I bought Vemo CPS $57 @ ESC tuning. Ran on first try.

Comment

I have the same problem. A similar thread concluded a weak/tired fuel pump.
        "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Also consider fuel pressure regulator. It is responsible for maintaining pressure in the rail when the motor is off. If it or any other part of the fuel system post regulator is leaking you wont have pressure when you turn the key. Pump only runs when cranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

...and leaky injector(s) will flood it, too. Fuel pressure is a good test for this, too.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If all fails, do a smoke test. There is an aluminum elbow going into the throttle body that can be loose when the engine warmed up. This causes a vacuum leak and a difficult start. A lot of people just use JB weld to seal up the elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                If all fails, do a smoke test. There is an aluminum elbow going into the throttle body that can be loose when the engine warmed up. This causes a vacuum leak and a difficult start. A lot of people just use JB weld to seal up the elbow.
                +1 - I just cleaned my IAV and found this little fellow entirely loose...
                Attached Files

Comment

Yep, that's the one.

Comment

JB Weld it.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                    X