HELP!! Having a problem with oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! Having a problem with oil pressure

so my car is giving me hell currently and i have been trying to find a resolution for weeks and am unable to find the light. the car slowly lost oil pressure and silly me wasn't paying attention to the gauge closely enough and it spun a bearing/ started rod knocking. So i tore it apart changed the bearings cleaned the crank up all nice like. put it all back together in the same day. went to start it up and here is where it gets confusing. while i had it apart i thought that the reason i lost oil pressure what due to a bad pump. so i pull a pump of another motor that i have sitting around and put it on the car. the car still wont make any oil pressure. doesn't make sense that 2 pumps would have the same issue. so i pull the intermediate gear off and spin the pump with a drill and i can get the car to make nearly 10PSI of oil pressure so i thought maybe the oil pump just needed priming go to start it up again. no oil pressure. the fact that it makes some pressure with the drill leads me to believe its not the oil pressure relief valve in the pan, the pump, or a bad oil pressure gauge. I'm sure that I'm not the only one in the last 30 years to have some funky oil pressure issues. so I'm hoping that someone can help to point me in the right direction.
    1990 325i sedan Turbo project.

What's your current setup? are you running a turbo like in your signature?
    I would look for blown seals. 10 psi is not enough above an idle speed. So while you may have not lost all pressure you did lose enough to destroy the engine.
    Also, how did you clean the crank up? did you plasti-gauge the bearings before reassembly? you might be out of tolerance now and losing too much oil through the journal bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by peterman View Post
      What's your current setup? are you running a turbo like in your signature?
      I would look for blown seals. 10 psi is not enough above an idle speed. So while you may have not lost all pressure you did lose enough to destroy the engine.
      Also, how did you clean the crank up? did you plasti-gauge the bearings before reassembly? you might be out of tolerance now and losing too much oil through the journal bearings.
      M20b27 block 885 head borgwarner turbo. No blown seals that I can see. I cleaned the crank using emery cloth starting at 800 grit working up to 2000. Plastiguage was within spec. After cleaning up. Also even if it was out of spec. I would think it would make some. At idle it builds less than 1psi.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

does intermediate shaft (cambelt )turn pump ?
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

yes?

From what i can tell the intermediate shaft is turning the pump. i did look up in there when i had that pan off and was turning the engine by hand

Comment

Originally posted by Dallin97 View Post
            From what i can tell the intermediate shaft is turning the pump. i did look up in there when i had that pan off and was turning the engine by hand
            if nothing changed between the drill priming the pump and the actual shaft spinning the pump, you should get the same psi results with both methods as a minimum. Unless the shaft didn't drive the pump and drill did.

Comment

Working...
            X