KI4UJO's 24v Build and M42 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
    Just looked at my high pressure hose - it seems I have the restrictor :( . I may try making a restricted banjo bolt today to see what happens.
    Are you using an e30 or e36 high pressure hose? I was using a new oem e30 high pressure hose (with what looked like a restrictor clamped in there) before I converted to AN lines/fittings which don't have any restriction. The steering feel didn't change at all.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Surprisingly, e39 I think. With that said, my e39 has very heavy steering. I may still have an e36 hose laying around, it's worth trying.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
      IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Had this made at a hydraulic shop this week, but won't have a chance to test it until next weekend. Center restrictor is threaded into the bolt and is removable. Essentially, I can now jet my P/S system

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comment

This will be the largest update I have ever made to this thread.

Since last time, I've done a lot. First off, the bolt. It didn't seem to add any effort to the steering, but did take out the oversenstivity. I thought it was still too light, but changed my mind due to something I'll get to later.

Second - wheels and tires! The American Racing 5 spokes are finally gone! I was running them with 15mm (I think) spacers and hubcentric rings as they never quite fit the car right. Those have now been replaced by Tire Rack Motorsport C1s in 15x8 wrapped in Hankook Ventus RS4s, 225/45/15. This, however, caused a problem: the exhaust only had around one inch of clearance.

Third - exhaust solution. I decided it was easier to just get rid of everything and start over. Now running: Ebay Headers w/modified downtubes > Vibrant Dual 2 to 2.5 Equal Length Merge Collector > Magnaflow Cat > Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator > Magnaflow Muffler. Overall, its a mostly smooth tone with a very small amount of rasp - honestly reminds me of an air cooled 911. It also weighs 38lbs less at 29.6lb. Overall, counting removing the subwoofer box and amp,I took around 80lbs out.

Onto the photos.

IMG_0132-2 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0144 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

A very bad photo comparing old and new

IMG_6573 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0121 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0148 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0133 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Now, onto the more surprising news - it has a companion!

While the e39 was fun, its no e30. That's where this comes in. This M42 318 belonged to a friend of mine from high school. It was a car that I had always liked, but never intended to own, until I found out what happened. While she was at work, someone came in and told her that her e30 had been hit. Someone backed into it with a trailer hitch and had no interest in fixing what they caused. Other than the damage, it is an almost completely original M42 318i. Fortunately, it has no structural damage, and just needs a bumper and valence. This will be the new DD.

IMG_0089 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0092 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0094 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0096 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0102 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0090 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0091 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

It does appear that the brillantrot is saveable, fortunately.

IMG_0117 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0119 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_0120 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

I'll be getting it licensed this weekend and finishing the paint correction along with hopefully sourcing a bumper and valence.

Regarding the steering issue - the M42 has a stock e30 rack with no P/S belt currently, and it's surprisingly light. It feels almost like the ZHP rack, just with a much slower ratio. I'm therefore going to assume that's how it should be.

Also, if anyone is going to the Vintage, I'll be there with the M52 car and would love to meet some of the great people on r3v.

IMG_0128 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

M42 Update!

I've done a lot with it in the last few months. Suspension rebuild (shocks, M3 Springs, e90 drop hats, tie rods, AKG FCABs), flex disc, CSB, Shifter rebuild + AKG Bushings and e36M selector, e28 Motor Mounts, Trans Mounts, and a tire balance + rotation.

Today, I swapped in the ultra rare bosch/hella e34/e30 ellipsoids which were previously in my 24v e30.

Getting an alignment tomorrow.

IMG_20170706_212324 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/WigoaZ]

IMG_20170702_095731 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20170702_095720 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20170630_205707 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

just read through the thread. thoughts:

stunning gray e30... exceptional choice of mods, I really like the front lip and wheel setup, and appreciate the amber accents around the car.

the m42 seems like it was an excellent find; what process did you go through with paint correction? looks new and out of my depth. still, I definitely need to try to do something with my faded paint.

I had picked up an e39 for my mom too several years ago, but working on an e60 for her now. not nearly as good looking as an e39, but after putting her in an RL, she's been complaining to me that she wants back in on the bmw game ;)

can't wait to see how both cars turn out.

Comment

I bought a touring (last September)!

2003 525it/5. It was stock, minus the Magnaflow. Added the style 42s, Nav (Eonon), and Technical Graphite trim.

Day I picked it up in RI

IMG_20170908_182256 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

With an awesome e30

IMG_20171105_105631 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20180422_132944 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20180522_200844 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

I'll get better photos soon - Flickr didn't seem to maintain quality that well, but this update took forever as I was locked out of my account for most of this year

Comment

Nice looking e39! Any updates on the 318i?
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Noice!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                      Nice looking e39! Any updates on the 318i?
                      It's actually being sold this Friday to a friend, so it'll still be around. Pulled out the majority of the interior to clean it along with redying the carpet. Also did lifters, which quieted it down tremendously.

Comment

Working...
                      X