My Off-Road E30!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Off-Road E30!

I am finally starting my offroad/rally e30 build. I couldn't resist doing this because I was raised to love 4x4s and driving on anything but pavement. This is the car I am starting out with:

(if the picture isn't working: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67...ew?usp=sharing )

It is my 1987 325e. I love the car but It has a rusted out floor on the drivers side front and the interior is pretty far gone. The only major mods it currently has is a 4.10 viscous LSD.
    For tires I will be using 27X8.5r14 Maxxis Buckshot MT II. I will be mounting them on the stock bottle cap wheels.
    I love sharing and talking about my cars, so please ask questions and I will keep this thread up to date with anything new I do to this car.
    I hope to have the tires on the car within a couple of days and the lift kit will be coming soon!!
    Last edited by 1984CJ7; 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM.
    My rigs:
    1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)
    Lifted 2006 Subaru Baja (the daily)
    1987 BMW 325e Off-road Build (the new hotness)

I've heard that people run E34 springs up front for the lift. Are you going that method or something else entirely?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      I've heard that people run E34 springs up front for the lift. Are you going that method or something else entirely?
      So I'm starting out using the front springs from an e30 convertible. They are slightly taller and stiffer. For the rear I'm going to be using convertible springs from an e36. However I haven't sourced them yet. Eventually I'm going to be fabricating a spacer to put on the top of the strut to get some more lift. I am going to have the new tires on the wheels tomorrow and I am going to slap them on the car with no suspension mods just to see how much they rub and get some measurements to see how much I will need to lift it.
      My rigs:
      1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

you should watch this video. it's right up your alley man.

You have to climb a mountain. You're given $2000 and a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02 off-road tires. You buy an E30. Can it make it? Sponsored Content
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        '90 325i sedan daily driven
        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

I'm a fan of lifted e30s. I used e30 vert springs+spring spacer+e46 arms in the front and e36 vert springs in the rear to clear 27" general grabbers.
          Last edited by iansane; 02-11-2019, 01:24 PM.
          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
            I'm a fan of lifted e30s. I used e30 vert springs+spring spacer+e46 arms in the front and e36 vert springs in the rear to clear 27" general grabbers.
            How hard were the e46 arms to install? Do they bolt right up to the e30? I've always wondered this ever since I started doing research for this project.
            I also shouldn't have to lift it as much as one would for all terrain tires. My offroad knowledge has taught me that Mud terrains may be "beefier" but the section height usually comes in shorter than your typical all terrain.
            My rigs:
            1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

Simple. They required specific control arm bushings because their pivot is hexagonal shaped instead of round e30/e36. Some people just grind/flapper wheel the arm into a round shape to fit factory or aftermarket bushings but I just bought the conversion bushings since mine were shot anyway.

Since the arms are longer and put the knuckle further out, you also need specific tie rod ends. I don't remember if I used e36 inner and e90 outer or the opposite but I think there are a few combinations of TREs that'll fit together.

Clearance-wise my 27s fit a factory late model valence and IS spoiler with minimal trimming but I ended up ditching the valence/spoiler and will be running a tube bumper soon (even though they cleared the late plastic bumper with room to spare.
              84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350

Comment

It has been done! The new tires are mounted on the car. Here is a quick side-view:

As I mentioned earlier, the car currently has zero suspension mods. And yes, the tires rub. A ton. It was only really able to run to the gas station and back when I drove it after putting the tires on. Here is a view from head on:

I love the look of my driving lights!

This is the fitment in the rear:

There is no rubbing under normal suspension load. I need to flex it out to see where its gonna hit. And yes, the tire is awful close to that bottom corner.

This is the front:

So the front is where my current issues stem from. The tire is violently slamming against the thin edge of the fender when the car turns. So much so it bent in the fender (reference bottom corner of front fender in the pic). To start things out I am going to trim away about 1.5" of the front fenders. The other issue is that the tires are kissing the lower spring perch on the struts. Didn't get a picture of this but I will tomorrow. This will be considerably harder to fix....
                Lastly here is a picture of it parked behind my ole' muddy CJ:
                My rigs:
                1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

E30 M3 CABs will give you more caster and move those wheels forward. do it ASAP and stop driving the car. You should be able to drive it without ruining that clean car...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    E30 M3 CABs will give you more caster and move those wheels forward. do it ASAP and stop driving the car. You should be able to drive it without ruining that clean car...
                    To clarify CABs mean control arm bushings? correct me if I'm wrong. And yeah I have caught a ton flak for doing this to such a clean looking e30... however, in my mind at least, this particular car is far from clean. It has body rot in all of the typical e30 places. I got so fed up with being unable to find solid metal to weld new sheet metal into, I pop riveted aluminium road sign material to patch the big holes. [please roast me for doing this!!!] And the interior is absolute garbage. And its an eta... For whatever reason the previous owner chose to re-paint it. So it looks good from far but its far from good!
                    My rigs:
                    1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

Yeah that. The M3 cab's will move it forward a bit.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Hey guys. I'm about to put wheel spacers on the 325 to stop the tires from rubbing on the lower spring perch in the front. The car looks great and I'll add some updated pictures with the lift soon. But I'd like to hear anyone's reservations on using wheel spacers on e30s. Thanks!
                        My rigs:
                        1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

You could use another inch or two of a raise. I'd roll the rear fenders out as much as possible and just cut and fiberglass flare the fronts. Wheel spacers I'll be fine realistically with what you're doing. Looks great, always been tempted to do this with my spare sedan but I can't bring myself to do it.
                          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
                            You could use another inch or two of a raise. I'd roll the rear fenders out as much as possible and just cut and fiberglass flare the fronts. Wheel spacers I'll be fine realistically with what you're doing. Looks great, always been tempted to do this with my spare sedan but I can't bring myself to do it.
                            I haven't decided if I want to lift it anymore than I have. Lifting it wouldn't fix the issue of the tires rubbing against the strut perch. I will also only be using 5mm spacers.
                            My rigs:
                            1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)

Comment

Either wheel spacer or going to a coilover setup. Obviously the spacer is cheaper but coilovers would be a smaller diameter spring that would let you cut off the OE perch. I have the same issue. I thought about cutting the housing and extending it. Kind of the opposite of what super low guys do but have never gotten around to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X