No announcement yet.

My Tijuana paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is an interesting thread as i live pretty close to mexico. i may just have to follow in your footsteps.
    Keep it coming!

Originally posted by ApexGoblin
    well make sure your priorities are straight... e30 first :up:

Comment

Looking forward to how this turn out, and brushing up on my espanol just in case
      sigpic
      January 2012 COTM

Comment

Updates??

Comment

Out of curiosity, how much are they charging you for the carpet? Everything in my tan-interior has been switched over to black except for the carpet, and it kind of bothers me. Add me to the list of people waiting on pictures of the end result, TJ is a bit of a haul for me but for a quality $1k paintjob that would be worth it.
          1991 318is - custom dents, loud steering, peeling clear coat, cracked seats. <3 <3

WTB: Center caps for Zender Sports.

Comment

My brother in law is an estimator, so im getting my paint job done right and cheap :)
            sigpic

Comment

Nice!

Comment

finished

After 8 weeks in Mexico my paint job is done. Just picked up the car today.
                I am very happy about the work they did. The work was done by 2 different shops. Los Ponchos did the paint.

The other place is called Chavez upholstery, and they installed the convertible top, replaced the carpets in the car, and fixed the back side of the rear seat.
                Here's how I rate it:

Quality of Paint Job by Los Ponchos: A
                3 coats of paint, 2 clear coats. They painted all the black plastic parts too. Makes me wonder why other shops had told me I should buy them brand new again.

The work done by Chavez:
                Replaced all carpet in the car: B
                Pretty good job over all, but the guy was unable to tighten in the E-brake plastic cover. He said the new carpet is thicker and the snap screw thingy would not tighten

Upholstery on the rear seat (the back side side only): A
                very good work

Convertible top installation: C
                It's a little hard to close the top. The guy placed 2 screws on one of the front corners, under the canvas to hold the metal wire in place because the part that is supposed to hold it broke. I have to figure out if I can fix that. I will take pictures of the screws tomorrow so that the vert guys can give me advice. They were unable to install the plastic handle that pops the top compartment lid open. To be fair I have tried to install it myself in the past and have not succeeded.

Completing the job in a timely manner: C
                This is only because when I dropped the car off Los Poncos told me that it would take 2 weeks to paint. I does not bother me that they took so much longer. I just wish they had been more straight forward about it. Unless they really thought it would take them 2 weeks at first. ??? Who knows.

Price: A+
                IMHO the quality of the paint work they did is worth way more than $1000
                I would definitely take a car again to them for another paint job.
                I'm not so sure I would trust Chavez again for another convertible top installation. But I will definitely take my car again to Chavez when I need some upholstery work.

These are some pics that the shop Los Ponchos shot for me:

monoblanco
                www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Very cool! Now how did you find out about these guys again?

Comment

I just did a search for Tijuana paint job.
                    From among the information I found these are the threads I found most useful when making my decision:

monoblanco
                    www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Interesting and makes sense for those of you close to TJ! Afterall, they are not bound to the same laws we have here regarding lacquer and the types of paints and methods they can use. That's about what a paintjob SHOULD cost vs the jacked up prices we pay here. Looks like they did a pretty good job considering you only paid $1000 USD. Wait...shouldn't alpine white be a single stage? what brand of paint did they use?
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        what brand of paint did they use?
                        I'm not sure what paint brand they used. I can call and ask them on Monday.

That's about what a paintjob SHOULD cost vs the jacked up prices we pay here.
                        Interesting. Now that you mention that, I wonder if the fact that most car accident repairs are paid for by insurance companies has been a contributing factor to the inflated cost of car repair and paint today.
                        monoblanco
                        www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Wow that is awesome! I'd really like to see more pictures. Very impressed dude.
                          Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Mexico or not that looks Awesome! wish I was closer I have 3 different cars that need body and paint work...
                            My Multi car part out. Need a part? Pm me...
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193051

Need 24v swap parts? How about a LSD? Plastic Bumpers? Or anything else click here...
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215044

Have you done business with me? If so leave me feedback here...
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=188307

Comment

Interesting and makes sense for those of you close to TJ! Afterall, they are not bound to the same laws we have here regarding lacquer and the types of paints and methods they can use. That's about what a paintjob SHOULD cost vs the jacked up prices we pay here. Looks like they did a pretty good job considering you only paid $1000 USD. Wait...shouldn't alpine white be a single stage? what brand of paint did they use?
                              Alpine II is base/clear. And anyway, why would you want single stage on anything short of a collector car?
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monoblanco View Post
                                I'm not sure what paint brand they used. I can call and ask them on Monday.

Interesting. Now that you mention that, I wonder if the fact that most car accident repairs are paid for by insurance companies has been a contributing factor to the inflated cost of car repair and paint today.
                                And yes, insurance coverage massively inflates the cost of things. Same issue in healthcare (only worse because hospitals are required to do tons of uncompensated work too).
                                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X