My Tijuana paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    Alpine II is base/clear. And anyway, why would you want single stage on anything short of a collector car?
    If you are using good wax and claying / waxing regularly, it shouldn't matter ;)
    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Well we all know there are 3 or 4 different prices depending on who is paying. Given that US labor (although some shops cut down on labor by hiring undocumented workers) is more expensive, this cost gets passed along to the consumer this is also going to inflate costs here in the US.

Anyway, no Alpineweiss had a clearcoat. They were all single stage just different tones. Only the "Metallics" had a clearcoat from the factory. Not a big deal, just sayin that it would have been even cheaper (less materials) if he stuck with a single stage. I agree though, having that clearcoat makes a big difference.
      Last edited by reelizmpro; 08-07-2011, 11:10 AM.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        Well we all know there are 3 or 4 different prices depending on who is paying. Given that US labor is more expensive this cost gets passed along to the consumer this is also going to inflate costs here in the US.

Anyway, no Alpineweiss had a clearcoat. They were all single stage just different tones. Only the "Metallics" had a clearcoat from the factory. Not a big deal, just sayin that it would have been even cheaper (less materials) if he stuck with a single stage.
        No, you are wrong. Only Alpine I is single stage.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
          If you are using good wax and claying / waxing regularly, it shouldn't matter ;)
          *shrug* why would I prefer a less durable paint that is prone to fading and outright failure? It requires more maintenance and it's easy to burn through when compounding.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            No, you are wrong. Only Alpine I is single stage.
            Hmmm let's investigate. The only person I've found on forums saying Alpine II is two stage is...you. How'd you come to that conclusion?

These will tell you they are single stage...which I'd believe since Alpineweiss II isn't a metallic. The difference is in the tone of the color.

Shop Genuine, OE, OEM and aftermarket BMW car parts online for DIY and enthusiasts at the best price with free shipping on all orders over $99!

Last edited by reelizmpro; 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Ya I don't know a thing about paint, paint types, etc, but I will call them up tomorrow and ask.

Here are more pics.

First this is the hack the kid who installed my top improvised. It's disgusting. Anyone with experience with tops can tell me how difficult this will be to fix properly?

This is the other side, with the part that is supposed to hold the cable in place:

This is the back seat. I was really impressed with it.

This is the new carpet. The material feels ok.

Then there is all the old rubbers I have to begin replacing. That's the thing about verts. Rubbers everywhere! Hopefully these rubber parts won't be very difficult to find.

And finally the complete car again:

monoblanco
              www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

The paint looks great!
                I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

The reason they told you to replace black plastic parts as opposed to paint them is because the paint will chip if not prepped out correctly, and it's less labor intensive to install a component than it is to repaint then install it.

And if those two screws are your only gripe, you came out on top. There are horror stories about TJ interiors being filled with animal shit coated hay and other assorted waste, and paint peeling in flakes by the third wash.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                    The reason they told you to replace black plastic parts as opposed to paint them is because the paint will chip if not prepped out correctly, and it's less labor intensive to install a component than it is to repaint then install it.
                    If they start to chip I will post pictures. Though now I keep the car under a car cover and they will not be exposed to the elements so much.

And if those two screws are your only gripe, you came out on top. There are horror stories about TJ interiors being filled with animal shit coated hay and other assorted waste, and paint peeling in flakes by the third wash.
                    I have heard stories like that, but I have not been able to find a person who experienced this. Or even a person who knows someone who experienced this. As far as I am concerned those stories are urban myths.

I spoke to the owner of the shop for a long time while I waited for my car on Saturday. He told me that about 90% of their business is from the U.S. That goes for most other car repair places, and upholstery shops in TJ. They understand very well how important it is to have a good reputation in order to keep customers coming back.

Having said that I did my research before deciding on a place. I would not take my car to a random car repair shop, whether it is in TJ or anywhere in the U.S.
                    monoblanco
                    www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Yeah man, you're way ahead on that paintjob already. Looks like the screws are there because the holder on the frame broke and the other one is on it's way to breaking. I wouldn't complain about a thing at $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by monoblanco View Post

I have heard stories like that, but I have not been able to find a person who experienced this. Or even a person who knows someone who experienced this. As far as I am concerned those stories are urban myths.

I spoke to the owner of the shop for a long time while I waited for my car on Saturday. He told me that about 90% of their business is from the U.S. That goes for most other car repair places, and upholstery shops in TJ. They understand very well how important it is to have a good reputation in order to keep customers coming back.

Having said that I did my research before deciding on a place. I would not take my car to a random car repair shop, whether it is in TJ or anywhere in the U.S.
                        No problem, I understand. But, just so you know, I'm from Palm Springs, and have personally found some nasty ass shit in the tuck'n'roll back seats in my buddies 1955 Chevy rear seat when we were removing the interior to install a newer stereo. This had to be in 1996-97. There was old papermache status newspaper from the 70's, and straw stuffed in the rear seat, the roll in the tuck'n'roll was yellow nylon braided rope, unbraided and wrapped. So...

Maybe it's an Urban Myth.

Comment

No problem, I understand. But, just so you know, I'm from Palm Springs, and have personally found some nasty ass shit in the tuck'n'roll back seats in my buddies 1955 Chevy rear seat when we were removing the interior to install a newer stereo. This had to be in 1996-97. There was old papermache status newspaper from the 70's, and straw stuffed in the rear seat, the roll in the tuck'n'roll was yellow nylon braided rope, unbraided and wrapped. So...

Maybe it's an Urban Myth.
                          Wow. Yea this is the first first hand account I hear about this.
                          Good to know.
                          monoblanco
                          www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Siiiiii gueeee. I want to do this ahora.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

The paint brand they used is PPG.

The owner said they did 4 coats of white and 4 coats of clear over it.
                              monoblanco
                              www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

I fucking love Tijuana. Tacos, margaritas, xanax, and paint jobs! Oh and tits!

Car looks great, wouldn't compain in the least bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X