No announcement yet.

Making the best of Rustoleum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant believe that everyone doesnt know about this method yet. Like it has been said it is alot more sanding than if you just sprayed the car but if done right it can look damn good and i have seen a few cars that are daily driven and have had the rustoleum paintjob for 3+ years and they hold up very well
    Originally posted by blunttech
    Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
    :shock:

Comment

rustoleum regal red is a very close match to zinnoberrot. Rustoleum SATIN black is a good match to the rarer SATIN black e30.

rustoleum is a much higher quality paint than e30 bmw paint.

Thats why it orange peels so much, it takes a lot more time to dry.

I have learned the difficulty is not with spraying it on, as much as drying it it takes days. and the outter drying more than the inner is what messes it up.

even that youtube vid tells you nothing if it doesnt tell you what the outside temperature and humidity was he stored it.

In the youtube video with rollers, the expert is using a hairdryer to dry it immediately. Thats the real secret.

Spraying on an even coat is simple. off in phoenix ( arizona) I think spraypainting your car probably looks way better than somewhere where its humid.
      Last edited by stamar; 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Holy shit this must take forever on an entire car.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
        This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

lol, is it bad i recognized what fender that car is from within the first few seconds?
          I miss my FC3S RX-7s :(
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

My front bumper and lower valance are spray painted with Rustoleum Sunrise Red. Bumper has 3 coats of paint, 4 of clear. Wet sanded and buffed. People don't believe me it's spray painted and I still don't think it came out as nice as it could. Doing my rear bumper and valance soon too.

91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

looks decent
              E30 buildy things
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

I did the Rusto job and it is a TON of work sanding, cleaning, sanding, ect. I was on a very limited budget to get my car looking presentable and one color. If money was not an issue I would do a quality paint but for about $60.00 it can not be beat. People are amazed when they find out that it is Rusto paint on it. It is far from perfect and requires an occasional polish to keep the really deep gloss but when that is done it looks great. A big benefit is touch ups are cheap and simple and I learned allot in the process.

Comment

WOW. Not bad, not bad at all.
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Thanks, it is a great alternative for someone if they have allot of time and not allot of $$$. Even if you put a new coat on every 2-3 years the car would always look fresh and the more you wet sand and buff the better it gets.I don't think it comes close to a quality base coat clear coat paint job as far as depth or durability but it does work well. I used rusto- marine because it has uv inhibitors in it as standard rusto does not and would oxidize much faster.

Comment

it is a base coat clear coat paint.

Comment

all it really takes is prep work. you can make spray-cans look great, it's just harder. so it depends if you have time, and no money, or money, and no time..

Originally posted by stamar View Post
                        rustoleum is a much higher quality paint than e30 bmw paint.
                        lol
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

bmw e30 paint was really low quality. Thats the opinion most people had. eventually bmw paint is higher quality. they are both acrylic.

Acrylic paint made for your house is of higher grade than acrylic paint made for cars, thats obvious.

I havent seen that youtube vid in a looong time but correct me if im wrong he mixes half thinner with rustoleum.
                          and for the rattle can he doesnt even sand it just puts clear on it and sands that....
                          paint today whether its urethane or whatever is higher quality. Water based, polyurethane. rustoleum and e30 era paint is oil based its just the orignal paint on our cars is thinner so that it dries faster. If you take a look at each you cant mistake it.

rustoleum sells automotive acrylic as well and its a much thinner paint.....

e30s were the end of the old school paint.

its also higher quality paint than maaco uses, or the grade any body shop would use where they return the car to you in one day.

The toughest thing with it as i said is it takes days to dry as opposed to 1 day. If you had a drying room it wouldnt end up with so much orange peel and sanding
                          if you treat it like its crappy bmw paint youll have lots of orange peel it needs 5 days of drying.
                          I just did my fake mtech 2 front bumper with it.
                          Last edited by stamar; 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            all it really takes is prep work.
                            That's just it. A nice spray job won't cover bad bodywork, just as well as bad spray can ruin good bodywork.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by stamar View Post
                              it is a base coat clear coat paint.
                              It is not a base-clear it is a single stage paint, at least what I am speaking of is. Is. The only product Rusto has in a base-clear is spray paint.

Comment

Originally posted by underconstruction View Post
                                It is not a base-clear it is a single stage paint, at least what I am speaking of is. Is. The only product Rusto has in a base-clear is spray paint.
                                oh I thought you were talking about the spray paint.

the same guy has two videos one for roller painting and one for spray cans.

I thought you were talking about the spray can one. I used spray cans its a 2 stage paint.

edit, the op video, is using rustoleum spray paint. 2 stage paint with clear coat so Im thinking its you who got confused and everyone is talking about the spray cans.

The same guy makes a video about painting a car with rollers, thats the 1 stage paint. I know what you mean. with a roller and a hairdryer.
                                Ive got the whole set up from his video.

I wouldnt describe it so much as a LOT of work. What it is is very time consuming, sanding after each coat and drying.
                                Last edited by stamar; 03-29-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X