X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to steal your interior.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Currently working on cleaning the diff now that it is out of the care. Also, one TA has the new bushings installed, need to to the passenger side. I also just got new sway bar links as my current ones are 7 years old. Also got AKG rear tow hooks.

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

getting closer to putting it back together.

Using AKG tool removing OEM rubber ones from these e30 m3 rear TAs. The rubber even has the BMW logo

Got all the rtabs installed. I lube the grease grooves with ATE plastilube. Highly recommended to prevent squeaking.

Here is one of the ta arms installed with the eccentric bolts. I tighten them in the middle, to match stock. Will get a 4 wheel alignment when its all back on.

I then decided to replace the rear brake valve T. They call the this the proportioning valve but it is just a T. Single line goes int from the front of the car and then exits out to both rear calipers. Here it is and for $15 dollars new, I decided to do it while I was in there.

The brake fittings has surface rust but nothing major. Key to removed for any of these fitting, flare nut wrenches to prevent stripping. Also lots for grim due to 27 years of use.

Here it is installed but need to get a new mounting bolt. The old one is too rusty for my taste.

Comment

Ready to install the subframe. Here are all the new parts to make it happen.The original parts just has a little too much surface rust. The subframe bolt and nut are recommended to replace with new ones.

I got it installed. One thing to note, if you are using the AKG bushings, and the eccentric slots and bolts, you need to take a small slice from the top of the bushing and washer to fit a 18mm wrench to adjust. I notice they were touching during the install and then reading online confirmed what I did. I will take a picture of it.

Comment

Got the driver rear side button up with the brakes. I got the ebrake items installed. I also installed a new rotor with the rebuilt powder coated rear e30m3 brakes to match the front in gloss black. I also added the Porterfields brake pads as well to match the front. Here is a picture of it installed. Just need to bleed it after I do the other side.

Here is another angle. You can see the UUC brake lines after a good cleaning as well as the AKG tow hook.

Comment

In preparation for the e28 m5 wheels, I got BMW wheel locks.

I started to clean my diff. Here are a few pictures of almost 30 years of grim on the original part.

I just ordered a stud kit from Condor Speed Shop as they are somewhat local to me.

I then replaced the rear diff speed sensor plug. The clips were brittle and one side broke while removing it. The other side was already broken, not sure when that happened.

Finished the passenger rear side. Got the ebrake installed and all the calipers. New brake lining sensor and making sure clips to hold all the wiring and cables are in place. I also installed the anti-rattle clip as I had forgot on the driver side. Both sides have been bled with Motul 600 brake fluid.

I installed new Lemforder sway bar links with new hardware from BMW. Even got new white clips for the ebrake cable. Little soapy water got the links on the swaybar.

Just need the differ installed plus exhaust and then its time for test drive. Still need to get tires and need to figure out if I will go with 215s or 225s.

Comment

I was amazed at the difference in feeling before/after doing poly bushings on the e30. You'll definitely appreciate all of that painful work.
                Paynemw
                1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I finished cleaning the rear diff. I prefer doing a better job but since I will be rebuilding it in the near future, I will give it a better cleaning then. I remove all the heavy grease with a degreaser and wire wheel. At least you can touch it without getting you hands dirty. At least the BMW test is clearly visible today.

Here are the internals, nothing loose or shavings on the bottom. The paper gasket was all wasted.

A few new parts, new speed sensor, oring and plug washers and all toque to specs:

Final product:

Comment

Sweet.. so overdue on my cars.. jelly of the no rust diff housing
                    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Got the diff stud kit from Condor. I wish the socket for the allen key was metric, I don't have standard and had to use an allen key. Already installed on diff and will try to install diff when I get home from work.

Comment

I got back today from a business trip and some parts came in so I can finish the car and get it back on the road officially. I already took it out for a short drive around the block but the exhaust is not installed. I plan on bleeding all 4 corners in the morning and will install these, abs wiring holder that goes on the subframe. The current subframe doesn't have them and the original ones are very brittle.

I also received one of the caps for the e28 m5 wheel. They are pricey so I got 1 for now. I am still looking for 2 used wheels and 3 caps. Will work the 16x7.5 e28 wheels in the front and the 16x8 e32 style 5s in the rear for now.

Here is the wheel installed, showing the BMW wheel lock.

Here is the cap installed. Will be keeping the stock tool from the 14" wheels as they both use this tool.

I then got BMW air valve caps. They are only $1 and has a nice grip material plus a o-ring on the inside to seal the connection.

[The issue now is that the stems have a long thread and the caps are not that long. This is how they come new from BMW. Here is picture from ECS tuning to show the gold threads exposed:

I don't like this, so I got black heat shrink tube to fill in the gap. Here is one example:

The goal is to refinish the wheel with nogaro silver like this. The e30 came with 27mm offset and the ones I am using are 20mm.

Comment

Sweet work man
                          So you’ve done a 5 lug swap? Or are you using adapters?
                          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            Sweet work man
                            So you’ve done a 5 lug swap? Or are you using adapters?
                            Thanks. No adapters. This is a full e30 m3 front and rear suspension I bought about 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

A few quick updates. After getting it all back on the road, the diff whine did not go away and requires a rebuild. I was going to venture on this myself as a kit is ~$500, but with the limited time to make it to the Vintage, I decided to have someone else do it, for a few hundred dollars more for the labor with years of experience. It will be total rebuild and I am slated to receive it for the install about 8 days before I take off for NC. I should get a few hundred break-in miles before the long trip.

In the meantime, doing some buffing of the single stage red for a little shine for the show. Will post a picture when done. Literally like putting lipstick on a pig but its better than the faded pink color. I also decided to clean one more thing in the trunk. The clasp that holds the car jack is all metal in the zinc plating is no more. The same with the the large washer that holds the spare tire. Here is a picture of it after some fast etch, SEM Prep, and SEM trim paint. I am waiting for gray scuff pads to do the same on the plastic knob with SEM Soap.

One thing that came up is that I need a spare tire, now that I only have the 5-lug setup. The e30 doesn't have a big opening in the trunk, so I need to find something that is narrow. I took measurements and will need to go with a 195 tire, like stock. The 205 tire will cut it too close. I don't want the rug to bulge. Luckily my dad has a spare 15x7 from an e32, style 7 with the cap. Its width is 7" and I can go with a 195/60 or 195/55 tire. I will be going with the /60 so that the height of the tire is the same as my current setup, just won't be as wide. Who cares, its a spare. The style also comes in the same vicinity as with the current euro weave pattern. Center cap is hideous.

Comment

Just reading all 22 pages of this ... you're a special kind of patient person. You've sat on some really high quality parts for years at a time! Very inspirational build, keep it up.
                                Zelig the Zinno • 300k and counting
                                http://instagram.com/zelig.the.zinno

Comment

Working...
                                X