No announcement yet.

Windshield Replacement DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just paid some Mexican guy i think was it 30$ for him to change out the glass in front of me, he even came to my work to do it. I provided him with the windshield, the new rubber window seal and a new lock strip, a couple new "aluminum joints" and some water for him to drink and he was done in about 30 minutes.

holy shit this thread is dated but yea ok.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Great DIY!
      Thankyou.
      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

bumping this thing back up.... is the windshield from a 4dr the same as the 2dr?

Dave
        E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
          bumping this thing back up.... is the windshield from a 4dr the same as the 2dr?

Dave
          Yes, they are the same.

And I beleive you can put an m3 windshield in a regular e30 with all the m3 hardware. The frames are the same behind it all if I am not mistaken.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks man....

Dave
            E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

here's my DIY - pay the man $200, get a new PPG windshield installed in 20 minutes, plus a lifetime warranty and free chip repair that you won't get putting your own in. :p
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

this is a great write up as I am about to remove my front and rear glass for a complete paint.

on the re-installation of the glass, are there any tips of dealing with the headliner being tucked in the rear glass frame?

i dont see it being an issue on the front glass (windshield) as the headliner can tuck into the sunvisor panel (i think).

please correct me if am wrong.

TIA

this thread rocks!!

Comment

you don't have to touch the headliner - the only thing that comes out is the lockstrip, and the seal that goes around the window itself. the seal around the windshield frame stays in place.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    you don't have to touch the headliner - the only thing that comes out is the lockstrip, and the seal that goes around the window itself. the seal around the windshield frame stays in place.
                    i am confused by that 'nando. so the rubber stays in the frame all the time and you just pop out the glass?

i will be taking the front and rear glass out this weekend..maybe then i will understand.

i guess the better question is:
                    if my car is stripped down for paint, would the headliner be done first or the rear and front glass and all window rubber?

Comment

You should pull the glass, and the rubber gaskets around them for paint. Then install your new headliner, window gaskets, and then glass.
                      sigpic

Comment

Alright thought I need someone to do this but I'm glad I didn't pay someone.

My motor is out so it made it slightly easier.
                        1) lay the windshield on the car like its going to sit when installed.
                        2) Push into lower part
                        3) working slowly with your fingers start pulling the drivers side seal so it will cover the windshield while push the glass into its grooves. This will get you to the top drivers side corner...looks like trouble.
                        4)Go to the other side, since pushed all the way over you can work the seal again, doing the same thing you did on the other side.
                        5)When it starts getting harder, take a short flat head and put it between the gasket and window...BE Patient do not touch the glass and have the flat head facing straight up or digging slightly (not gouging) into the gasket. This will get you to the top passenger side
                        6)Now the top looks bad but its not.
                        7)Start at the drivers side and start working the seal up and over the windshield, one corner will go in and the other will prove to be a bitch
                        8) take that flat head and work the opposite corner over the windshield. 1 side (has happened to me both times) will allow you to slide the screwdriver about 3/4 of the way to the other corner

--so you have all 4 corners in and I had (both times) about 6 inches of gasket to do.

9) With a SMALL amount of pressure push down while the screw driver is still in and pull the SD'er toward you. I used a small bit of soapy water but don't really think it was necessary..just didn't want to take a chance

10) Drink soapy water because you thought you were going to use more and poured a big glass.

--The windshield is in and not chipped/broken...now that lock strip.

--Big thing have patience, it took me a good 20 minutes to do this. I did it twice and it worked well, no chipping or breaking both times.

Comment

it's not hard, and that isn't the reason to pay somebody - the reason is it doesn't cost much more (maybe $50), and you get a lifetime warranty on it. if you fuck up somehow and crack the glass in half while you're putting it in, you're screwed.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

With me providing the windshield, lock strip and seal, I was getting qoutes of 120-$150 to just install. I would rather find the lock strip thing and do it myself. I got the windshield at the junkyard, in very nice condition for $15

Comment

ouch - mine was $199 + tax with a warranty..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

A buddy of mine works for PPG, he is a part time driver.

If/when he goes full time, he gets product for cost.

He was told $39 for a new windshield for me, his "nephew".

Closing SOON!
                                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X