Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my understanding ( I’m no x drive expert)
    But when you hit a certain low speed the actuator kicks the transfer case into 4wd driving the front driveshaft to the front diff.

I just sent the car in for a PPI with my local guys I trust. She needs some love! Front driveshaft is missing as well LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
      From my understanding ( I’m no x drive expert)
      But when you hit a certain low speed the actuator kicks the transfer case into 4wd driving the front driveshaft to the front diff.

I just sent the car in for a PPI with my local guys I trust. She needs some love! Front driveshaft is missing as well LOL.
      yikes.

I may have pulled the awd fuse on mind and laid a 100ft smokey. may have
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
        yikes.

I may have pulled the awd fuse on mind and laid a 100ft smokey. may have

LOL. I have a shitbox s13 for those sorts of cravings.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          nah. Don't go all mechanical hypochondriac - the issue doesn't appear until about 100k miles, so a 60k interval is already pretty conservative.
          I don't think it is. Like I said clutch plate LSDs usually have a 30k recommendation to change the fluid.

But I pretty much change on "time" now. I had the oil changed in the E82 3 months ago. I've put 1000 miles on it. I'm not going to leave it in there for 1.5 years to get 5-6k miles.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

She needs some love! Front driveshaft is missing as well LOL.
            I did some reading - pretty smart system. And for more than ice - it seems to be about dynamic handling in all conditions.

But yeah, you sorta need the driveshaft for it to work well....

Funny thing to leave out of the FS info from the seller.

Comment

I'd skip the front DS. It's just added complexity and weight that'll cause you slower 0-60 times and increased fuel consumption.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

You bought it thinking it had the front DS?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                  You bought it thinking it had the front DS?
                  It would appear that way.
                  Then again, I'm not sure why someone would get a PPI (I presume this stands for "Pre-Purchase Inspection") after they purchase a car

Comment

Bought it 280 miles away from home on a Saturday lol. I contacted the guy he said he would ask his cousin as he was the only one to actually work on the car.

Really not that big a deal, I can get another one.

Comment

Not to be a downer, but I'm betting they removed the front DS either because the t-case is lunched or maybe the front diff. Hopefully it's just the problems with the t-case you already knew about.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^^ uh oh...

So is the diff up against the pan on the driver's side? Then how does the passenger driveshaft get to the wheel? Is there a notch in the pan? Does it hold less oil?

So many questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-xdrive-from-the-first-system-to-hybrid-all-wheel-drive_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	7196572

And why does this one have E30 lower control arms?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	tmg-facebook_social.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7196573

Comment

Not to be a downer, but I'm betting they removed the front DS either because the t-case is lunched or maybe the front diff. Hopefully it's just the problems with the t-case you already knew about.

+1
                          I recall Volvo owners of early V70's that were AWD would get the DS removed to save the cost of replacing/repairing the transfer case/front diff.

Comment

I'm doing timing guides on a M62TUB46 right now.

Fuck that noise. Fuck it. Like seriously....fuck it.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

This was my thoughts as well, I’ve still got my fingers crossed it’s the actuator and maybe they got sick of hearing if trying to engage, but I’m prepared for the worst lol.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                                ^^ uh oh...

So is the diff up against the pan on the driver's side? Then how does the passenger driveshaft get to the wheel? Is there a notch in the pan? Does it hold less oil?

So many questions.

[ATTACH]120661[/ATTACH]

And why does this one have E30 lower control arms?
                                [ATTACH]120662[/ATTACH]
                                It's the same as BMW always made them. The diff mounts to the pan and there's a pass-through for the CV shaft. It holds the same amount of oil.

Also, that's an E46. :p
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X