S52 swap Mishimoto compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 swap Mishimoto compatibility

Looking at finally swapping to s52 and looking at cooling options. Really like the Mishimoto e30/e36 xline radiator with fan and shroud. Anyone know if that set up will work obviously I won’t run a mechanical fan but not sure if that’s even enough clearance with the fan and thermostat housing also does the z3m xline fit it’s 150$ cheaper. Thanks for any input

I am running a mishimoto with my s52. I’m running just a auto parts brand fan on the front side with no issues at all. Not sure the clearance on the shroud though.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the Mishimoto. I put one in my e34 and it started leaking after a year. Got a "free" replacement at the cost of $50 for shipping and it started leaking after less than a year as well. Both leaked from where the cross tubes connect to the end tanks. Overall quality wasn't great either, no better than cheap Chinese aluminum radiators you can get on eBay/Amazon, but at 3 times the price. I'm currently running my second one with the end tanks professionally epoxied.

Comment

I was looking at the three row xline but mishimoto said it didn’t fit
        What about the Bimmer world radiators? About the same price as the mishimoto

Comment

I would just get a stock one. the Z3M radiator is cheap if you want extra cooling. Otherwise, a regular late model M20/M50 radiator is fine.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Either that or an M42 radiator if you want a built in overflow tank.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
              Either that or an M42 radiator if you want a built in overflow tank.
              And e36 m5x radiator from model which has air condition is same but bottom part is taller, so bolt-on bigger rad.

Comment

id look to a zionsville if you want all alloy, much better reputation and quality
                Last edited by digger; 01-03-2019, 06:41 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                  And e36 m5x radiator from model which has air condition is same but bottom part is taller, so bolt-on bigger rad.
                  E36 had a built in radiator tank? I thought they all had a separate tank that was just mounted on/near the radiator?

E34s have a built in tank, but they are only known to last 10-20k miles before they fail, which is the original reason I bought the Mishimoto.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                    E36 had a built in radiator tank? I thought they all had a separate tank that was just mounted on/near the radiator?

E34s have a built in tank, but they are only known to last 10-20k miles before they fail, which is the original reason I bought the Mishimoto.
                    e36 with s50 engines have separate expansion tank. M5x and m4x engines had tank mounted in radiator.

And you probaply mean 10-20 years? :D I use stock radiators without problems. Just don't buy the hortible quality chinese radiators snd the stock ones work really long time.

Comment

I have the mishimoto x line in my e30. It fits no problem and you will not be able to run any fan between motor and radiator.
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                        ... and you probaply mean 10-20 years? :D I use stock radiators without problems. Just don't buy the hortible quality chinese radiators snd the stock ones work really long time.
                        Second this - buy a Behr, they last. Don't buy a cheap eBay knockoff and you'll be fine.
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Shortly after buying my E34, the radiator started leaking. It was a Behr that was date stamped 3 years old. Several others have had the same issue, at least with E34 radiators.

Comment

A lot of brands that were good have looked to cost cutting and this inevitably means made in countries with quality standards that do not meet the same standards as the original parts.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

This is the E36 radiator I am familiar with. Expansion tank is separate and attached with the fan shroud.

Comment

Working...
                              X