X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 can't get the temp. Needle in the middle

I want to be direct.....
    320i 89
    Needle bearly reach 1/4 noon time sometimes in traffic reach between 1/4 & 1/2 as soon as i hit the gas it drops to 1/4 and if i kept driving i goes between 1/4 and the blue line.it's a nightmare on cold mornings or in highways at night.

Bot Tested thermostat 87c (Mercedes Benz oem type) where i live bmw oem stuff are expensive and hard to come by.
    Deleted the heater core with the block both pipes method.

Only thing i have as a suspect is the fan cluch engaging all time.
    Another thing i suspect is the return hole in the expansion is returning upon any slight revs even when the engine cold.
    Is that really a cause of my overcooling problem?

PROBLEM SOLVED
    I forgot to install t-stat seal some coolant were escaping thanks to all of you
    Last edited by ADEN; 04-22-2019, 12:16 PM.

Are you positive the thermostat is closing?

I would start off by replacing the thermostat with an 80*c one and see what happens.

If you really thing the therm is working, I would get a laser thermometer to see if the gauge is even reading accurately
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Sounds normal to me. My temp gauge never makes it to the halfway mark.

Comment

Mines the same. I don’t worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          Are you positive the thermostat is closing?

I would start off by replacing the thermostat with an 80*c one and see what happens.

If you really thing the therm is working, I would get a laser thermometer to see if the gauge is even reading accurately
          I will get 80c oem t-stat and see .
          About the gauge being accurate the car cold knocking sound is there most of the time as long as the needle doesn't pass 1/4.that's why i am not suspecting the temp reading.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            Sounds normal to me. My temp gauge never makes it to the halfway mark.
            Thanks man but mine didn't even stay on 1/4 line.it is below it most of the time puls suffering bad mpg. My engine is wearing fast i believe.

Comment

mine never goes to the middle. idling for 15 minutes and maybe it will move up half way to the middle. start moving and it drops down. always just a squeak over the blue.
              my 2c
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              '90 325i sedan daily driven
              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

An E30 with a stock thermostat should sit very close to the middle of the gauge, that’s where the thermostat opens. Slightly above 1/2 way on the gauge is where the fan clutch kicks on so the needle stays very steady at the middle of the gauge in most conditions.

If you have a thermostat opening sooner, the gauge will move around a lot more since there is a wider gap between the thermostat and fan clutch.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                  An E30 with a stock thermostat should sit very close to the middle of the gauge, that’s where the thermostat opens. Slightly above 1/2 way on the gauge is where the fan clutch kicks on so the needle stays very steady at the middle of the gauge in most conditions.

If you have a thermostat opening sooner, the gauge will move around a lot more since there is a wider gap between the thermostat and fan clutch.
                  That's what my car used to do. Please provide some suggestions....

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                    That's what my car used to do. Please provide some suggestions....

The thermostat controls the base temp, i would put in an OE or OEM brand thermostat with a factory opening temperature.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                      The thermostat controls the base temp, i would put in an OE or OEM brand thermostat with a factory opening temperature.
                      Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                      X