"junk" rieger lip test fit..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"junk" rieger lip test fit..

finished up the work on the spoiler yesterday, got it primered and on the car for a test fit today. I reinforced the mounting area with 1/2" lengths of aluminum tubing and lots of epoxy. the epoxy is just there to strengthen the mounting area, the tubes are pressed in pretty tightly.

put it on with zip ties, didn't even put all 20 in there. Drove it into town, took it to some places I go all the time, and up a pretty steep and hilly road.. I did scrape ONCE, but the lip did not come off. I think the big thing with these lips is keeping them on the car.. if you run it over, it's toast.

anyway, here's the pics. My car is really dirty, although you can't tell (zymol rocks). it's been raining for 2 weeks straight.

I took it off when I got home, got the final coat of primer on it and tomorrow it's the base, then the clear. should have it on the car friday or saturday. hopeflully mine lasts more than 4 days, I'd like to get at least one summer out of it. :P

as far as it being a little short.. meh. it's barely noticeable, and I still have plenty of room for adjustment. it's good enough, and this particular spoiler is probably not worth putting a ton of effort into if I'm just going to break it into 50 peices. it will look good until that moment though. :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Looks good.

BMW did a good job with iX's apperance wise. Love how it all flows but not overdone.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Re: "junk" rieger lip test fit..

Originally posted by nando
      I think the big thing with these lips is keeping them on the car.. if you run it over, it's toast.
      That's the part that cracks me up, because wasn't the big selling point on these lips supposed to be that they were super-flexible and really hard to break? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
        I think the big thing with these lips is keeping them on the car.. if you run it over, it's toast.
        That's the part that cracks me up, because wasn't the big selling point on these lips supposed to be that they were super-flexible and really hard to break? :D
        Definitely was, remember the picture of it being all twisted?

Comment

of course. but I already spent the $150, so I may as well get some use out of it for a while, ya know? besides, I never knocked off my is lip, much less ran it over, so hopefully I'll be able to keep this one on too.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

looks good., needs c-coded rear valence now
            sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

of course. but I already spent the $150, so I may as well get some use out of it for a while, ya know? besides, I never knocked off my is lip, much less ran it over, so hopefully I'll be able to keep this one on too.
              If you're careful, and watch what you're doing and where you're driving, the chances of you knocking ANY lip off your car should be fairly low.

Comment

well, I already scraped it, like I said. I'm not confident that I won't destroy it, and I'm not going to drive around the lip... fuck the lip. :P
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So, you put the piece of aluminum on the underside of where the spoiler mounts to the front valance, correct? It's what the zip ties pretty much hold on to.

Do you have more details on this? I'd like to reinforce mine too when the time comes.
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

Looks great Chris. On an iX, the look of the lip flows 100% better than on, say, Dan's car. It looks great man.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

You did a good job man. I just primered my real reiger today, after putting it together a second time. I have had good luck (besides the snow incident) with my lip. Scraped it several times but never knocked it off, and even went over some debris a few times and never cracked or anything. Our cars are probably lowered about the same height. You should be good.

I used some 1/8 inch plastic on the underside of my mounting lip attached with epoxy, pop rivots, and thin alluminum plate. I ripped out all the holes when I slammed the snow, but its solid now.
                      Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                        So, you put the piece of aluminum on the underside of where the spoiler mounts to the front valance, correct?
                        no. I drilled 20 1/4" holes where the stock clips go into the valance. then I pressed .5" lengths of 1/4" aluminum tubing into those holes. Finally, I used epoxy to strengthen the area around the tubes. it was easy and cheap, I had everything except the tubes and those were only like a buck for 12".

they didn't break when I bottomed the lip out at 40mph, so they're probably good enough. I'll get better pics of the mounting area when the clearcoat dries ;)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I made my own lip for $5.00. Just some flexible abs plastic garden seperator some sheet metal for brackets and assorted bolts and nuts a warm day and voila! a frontlip that cant break. Oh by the way im making an iS style one but i need to get measurements so i can cut the right amount of aluminum and size for the stock mounting clips and such.

Comment

Originally posted by B2ThaZiZza
                            I made my own lip for $5.00. Just some flexible abs plastic garden seperator some sheet metal for brackets and assorted bolts and nuts a warm day and voila! a frontlip that cant break. Oh by the way im making an iS style one but i need to get measurements so i can cut the right amount of aluminum and size for the stock mounting clips and such.
                            rofl.. and it looks so good too. :roll:
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

How about some pics of the $5 garden lip spoiler .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                              X