No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primed the engine with oil and put the lower intake manifold on tonight.

Comment

Took a few minutes to install the fuel injectors/fuel rails (stock rails, 42lb injectors, might need to change that but we'll see), and thermostat tonight. That's all I have time for though.

Comment

Got my wire wrap, have some fabric tape on the way as well. Will start building the Megasquirt harness once that gets here.

Comment

Bought a Rocket Bunny Pandem kit for this build... What's another grand on a car build that hasn't even touched the car yet?

Comment

How's this coming along?

Whichever body kit just do the body work to make it look like part of the car like the one in the craigslist thread, they look like total cheap ass with the "bolted on" look.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              How's this coming along?

Whichever body kit just do the body work to make it look like part of the car like the one in the craigslist thread, they look like total cheap ass with the "bolted on" look.
              Not a lot right now, got a promotion at work and have been too busy trying to keep up. We just hired someone new, so hopefully I'll start having more time in the evenings/weekends. I really want to get this going.

Comment

Nice. A promotion is usually a good thing for a hobby in the long run. What's the total height of your upper and lower intake manifold? I'm trying to figure out what total height will fit under the hood before I buy anything. I'm searching parts combinations, and intake manifold height is a concern.
                Last edited by varg; 05-21-2018, 06:31 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  Nice. A promotion is usually a good thing for a hobby in the long run. What's the total height of your upper and lower intake manifold? I'm trying to figure out what total height will fit under the hood before I buy anything. I'm searching parts combinations, and intake manifold height is a concern.
                  Don't know, don't have the upper intake on.

Comment

I should catch up on orders for my side business today, so I'm hoping to have some real time to work on the engine wiring harness this week!

Comment

Started wiring today. Injector leads are wired, heat shrunk, fiberglass wrapped, and taped at the engine side. Need to run more wires for the loom, so not ready to button the injector wires up yet. Also ran the wire for the cam phase sensor, and realized I couldn't find the engine coolant temp sensor, so ordered one of those. Got some more wire on the way as well, and some assorted pieces of heat shrink so I don't have to cut so much manually.

Comment

Didn't get a lot done last night, but did record the resistances on my coolant temp sensor so I can plug that into Tuner Studio later on.

Comment

More wiring done today, coolant sensor and cam sensor wires are run where I want them. Also mocked up the upper intake manifold and throttlebody so I can wire the TPS and IACV. Also attached the crank sensor, need to run the wire for that. Basically got the drivers side of the engine wiring how I want it, now working on the passenger side.

I found that the upper intake manifold and the valve covers don't play nice. The vacuum fittings on the bottom of upper intake come out underneath the manifold, and those 90 degree fittings bump right into the valve covers. Need to figure out if I can just chop them or if an intake spacer is a better idea...
                          Last edited by Elysian; 06-17-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I was starting to do a manual swap on my 88 325i... Got the trans off, realized the oil pan was the cause of the leak, not the RMS... Took the oil pan off, the oil smells like blown head gasket. Dumped the coolant, there's oil in there.

So I said screw it, the 88 is getting the 302. I'm in the middle of that right now, should have the engine in place by tonight.

Note the Geo Metro brake booster, I'll be able to confirm by tonight whether this works or not.

And that's where I'm taking a short break. Need to hit the parts store for some bolts, and need to see if I can find a C4 trans mount locally.

Comment

Engine is in. Mounts line up. The Geo booster didn't work, maybe if you move it over 3" or so. I'm going remote booster.
                              Last edited by Elysian; 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Bummer. Does it hit the head or just the valve cover?

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X