No announcement yet.

Why are Bilstein Sports so ROUGH!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah F the Billys. I put them on my 325ix. Hated them. I put them on my 1974 2002 with H& R springs.. Hated them. Put some Koni full top adjustables with a GC kit on my 318is and they blow billy's away. Smooth at 60 mph. Smooth at 120 mph.
    dlm ny country

Comment

had bilstein/eibach on both my e30s (coupe early model, sedan late model) and although the car hit cracks, potholes, and manhole covers pretty sharply, i never though the ride was bone jarring. i daily drove about 100k miles with that setup, and i'd do it again.

Comment

What wheel and tire package are you running? I thought the ride quality with billi sports and H&R sports was perfectly fine until I switched from the stock 14" wheels to 16". Now I find it a bit harsh.
        diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

When I installed my Bilsteins/H&R Sports almost 10 years ago, that was the advice the majority of folks gave me. I remember getting the car together right before Christmas and the wife and I drove it to Atlanta. She hated the ride. HATED IT. I said she was complaining too much.

By the time we got to ATL I realized I had to agree with her somewhat.

Just put Koni adjustables & H&R Touring Sports on our E46 Touring...it's soooooo much better. Thank god, cause I was afraid my wife might not be happy with the ride, but thankfully she loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by noahsense View Post
            I really wish there was a thread like this when I installed Bilstein HDs on my car a few years ago. The rebound damping really is harsh.

I should have spent the extra money for Koni's or saved money on Bilstein Tourings or stock.

I agree with you, wasted time and money on bil sports
            Race German
            Automotive clothing from your favorite brands included: CAtuned,
            UUC, Garagistic, Revshift, Moar Designs, Condor Speed Shop,
            Neue Motorsports, Bimmerheads, Motorsports Hardware and more.
            Also offer track decals for any track in the world.

:thankyou:

Comment

Originally posted by word is bond View Post
              What wheel and tire package are you running? I thought the ride quality with billi sports and H&R sports was perfectly fine until I switched from the stock 14" wheels to 16". Now I find it a bit harsh.
              I always run 15x7 with 205/50. still rough.
              Race German

Comment

Tire Rack has 20% off on Konis right now.

Comment

dang! cool thanks for the post on that
                  Race German

Comment

Another thing to consider is Bilsteins were less expensive and had a lifetime warranty with the original owner. I remember I got my set for $369 back in the day. Then when they raised the prices, everyone was going with Koni SA's. However, I noticed people were also complaining about Koni's not lasting long and being blown. I'm guessing they were running too much of a drop on stock bodied Koni's as shortbodied Koni's (like GC's) seem to be holding up fine. I have 17 years on my Bilstein sports and they feel great. New billies may be super stiff but they definitely soften up over time.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by six2midnight View Post
                      Ive had them on numerous e30s with stock bushings, and with upgraded poly or delrin bushings, and I cant stand the bil sports on the street.

don't let these kids on here fool you that they are tough and cant take a rough ride.

if its a street car, or a daily driver, youre going to hate yourself after a week.

I sold one of my e30s because I had bil sports with ply bushings. I didn't enjoy driving it anymore and sold the car haha. too much work to take it all out and I got a sweet offer on the car.

everyone who says bil sports and hr race ride good are trying to play mr. tough guy. that is a track set up, not street.

I will be looking for new dampers with my new build.
                      Different strokes man....

I have fully Poly/Delrin bushings in my car with GC 440/650 Coilovers (custom Konis, shortened housings) and I think it's too soft. I may go up in spring rate soon.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen_insane View Post
                        I may go up in spring rate soon.
                        Because you actually run it on the track, or so you can tell people what your spring rates are?

So, serious question for this group then -
                        What is a decent, reasonably-priced street shock for an H&R Sport-lowered car?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                          Because you actually run it on the track, or so you can tell people what your spring rates are?

So, serious question for this group then -
                          What is a decent, reasonably-priced street shock for an H&R Sport-lowered car?
                          LOL...besides Bilstein and Koni, there's KYB.

Just say no to KYB.

***I'm not saying the Bilsteins don't soften up slightly (VERY slightly), but mine have 10 years on them and I'm so tired of the harshness that I'm seriously close to taking advantage of the Tire Rack 20% off sale. Who wants to give me $100 for my 'Steins?
                          Last edited by TrentW; 04-21-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Seems to me that Konis sales are an annual event sponsored by the factory but used to be 40% off. I haven't seen discounts that deep in a couple of years though
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

First off, I know this is a subjective subject. some people think bil sports aren't harsh.

But I think as an overall consensus now, we have come to say that for the STREET/DAILY driving, the bil sports give a pretty harsh ride.

That being said I have them on my track car and love them.

Also ya..not many options of rus. bil sports, bil hds, koni SA, KYB. Only other options are full coilovers from AST or GC (which uses a revalved VW corrado knoi shock.)

I cant comment on the HR sport with anything other than bil sport..because its all I know. (besides KYB. but heck kyb felt better to me. they just don't last long at all).

I already took advantage of the tirerack sale. SHIPPED SAME DAY!

I bought e30 Koni SA for the Rear, and the VW corrado Koni SA for the front. Im going to run coilovoer sleeves. I decided im not going to cut down my shock housing but shim the shock up to meet the correct height.

I still want to be low (lower), but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality. I understand you really cant do one and not have the consequence of the other.

Ill keep ya updated on how it feels
                              Race German

Comment

Ordered the Konis. Looking forward to a much improved ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X