No announcement yet.

Why are Bilstein Sports so ROUGH!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome! make sure you post how the ride is with the hr sports.

im going to be running hypercoils 450/650.

I also sold my Bil sports for 375 :)
    Race German
    Automotive clothing from your favorite brands included: CAtuned,
    UUC, Garagistic, Revshift, Moar Designs, Condor Speed Shop,
    Neue Motorsports, Bimmerheads, Motorsports Hardware and more.
    Also offer track decals for any track in the world.

:thankyou:

Comment

SUB'd. I'm going to need to decide a route with my suspension set up soon.

-E
      -ALaS

Comment

SHOCKS CAME IN! whoop.

so I took everything out of the box, the fronts are actually gas shocks, and the rears are hydraulic shocks (both Koni SA). I guess I didn't realize this when I bought them, but its started to make A LOT of sense. I have always used bil sports which are both gas shocks front and rear.

THIS can cause a very very harsh ride, which is probably what we all have been experiencing. The gas shocks takes a lot more pressure (usually 75lb to completely compress) while a hydraulic shock can easily be moved in and out.

So I started reading a little, and most older and vintage cars were designed to have hydraulic shocks in the back. Im not sure what the OE shocks were that came on the e30, but I am guessing it had hydraulic in the back and gas in the front.

Im pretty excited to try these koni sa shocks in the rear. I really think it will solve all my problems, especially for a street car. I don't think id run hydraulic shocks on my track rat.

Ill keep you posted...
        Race German

Comment

to the op point
          just put in h&k e36 m3 oem sport 5041055 springs with the billstein hd 14mm oem sway- and i think it rides fine- firmer than stock- not harsh at all - wonder if there is variences in the shock valve build ?

(ps ive owned bilstein shocks in the past not overly impressed with durability - so if u think there harsh dont worry they wont be for too long imho)

Comment

The funny thing is a lot of E28 drivers like Bilstein especially in the back on a stock or mildly lowered car because of its perceived stiffness.
            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

e28 is a lot heavier car in the back. with stock springs it could probably use a tougher damper.

upgrade the springs to something more stiff and you probably wouldn't.
              Race German

Comment

I don't understand all this Billy Sport hate. I run all poly bushings with Billy Sports and and H&R Sport springs on 205/50 dirrezzas and the ride is no harsher than my bone stock BRZ. Often on slow but dodgy roads the dampening on the bilsteins is actually superior to my Subaru. Seems like people are just jumping on a bandwagon here IMO.

Comment

i doubt the 8 people agreeing are jumping on a bandwagon lol. as we stated it is subjective, and will depend on your roads. really smooth roads you probably wont have as much of a problem.

also depends on how low you are. hr sports aren't that low and the spring rate is still pretty light. I think its like 350F 400R
                  Race German

Comment

It's all perspective, it's not that the suspension is too hard, just that you are too soft.
                    Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

I thought I had blown bilsteins sports after 2 years. Guess it's just how these shocks are. They ride fine on smooth surface but over imperfections my whole dash rattles.

Comment

Originally posted by six2midnight View Post
                        i doubt the 8 people agreeing are jumping on a bandwagon lol. as we stated it is subjective, and will depend on your roads. really smooth roads you probably wont have as much of a problem
                        Indeed, my Bilstein Sport / H&R Race combo is great on smooth roads. On rough roads, I really hate them. I don't have anything to compare them to since this is the only car I've had with stiff suspension, but if I were buying shocks again, I would buy Konis without question.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                          I thought I had blown bilsteins sports after 2 years. Guess it's just how these shocks are. They ride fine on smooth surface but over imperfections my whole dash rattles.
                          This. Every unevenly paved bump in the road would just echo in the cabin of the car, huge "boom" noise as soon as the front wheels hit it. Not to mention how stiff they where, KONI's are much more forgiving.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Mine are the same way, I cant wait to raplace them.
                            First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

I just broke down and ordered a set of SAs for my Cabrio.

I just hope the Bilstein gods aren't pissed after my 13 years of loyalty.
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

^ please give feedback.
                                1990 325i
                                2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X