Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY- Crimped Hose repair/replacement (Power steering, Oil Cooler, auto trans)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY- Crimped Hose repair/replacement (Power steering, Oil Cooler, auto trans)

I used to work in a performance hose and fitting shop, and as some of the older folk know I used to sell top-quality braided clutch and brake lines, before everyone got ripped off by China. I also used to think these crimped hoses just had to be replaced in the entirety when they went bad. Hose shop taught me differently. This technique can be used for almost any crimp type fitting, stainless braid, rubber, hydraulic, you name it. Just have to be careful when sawing.

You can do this with the power steering hoses, the oil cooler hoses, auto trans hoses, and almost anything else that have crimps. You just have to make sure you can reinstall everything and it wont burst when you use it. Obviously, don't do this with high pressure parts like brake hoses, those are crimp only as any type of clamp will not have sufficient or equal amount of force to seal the fitting.

Again, I am not responsible for anything you do to you, your parts, or your car or anything around you or to anyone by following this guide. It is for educational purposes only.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1. Clamp the problem crimp in a vise, Tightly. Not so tight as to bend/warp the steel tube inside of the hose, but just enough you can use a hacksaw to saw at the crimp collar. Slightly diagonal, as it makes the next step easier.

NOTE: saw just enough to put a good score in the collar, you can use a hammer and chisel to actually split the collar. This gives you room for error ; if the barbed fitting is nicked, its most likely toast.

2. Chisel the collar out flat.

3. Pull the hose and fitting (in my case a banjo) up and out.

4. New parts. Aeroquip 300psi hose with abrasion resistant nylon cloth wrap, and some hose clamps. What I had laying around the shop, You don't have to use that. Auto store hose works fine.

5. Lube the barbed end up with grease or oil.

6. Secure the fitting in a vise and push the hose on. Clamp it, install it, and call it a day.

Enjoy not leaving a puddle of oil every time you park.

Derek
    DedericMS
    Last edited by blueapplesoda; 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

I thought the whole thing with high pressure lines is that they have some super secret crimping thing that keeps the fluid inside?
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

For high pressure apps (above 300psi), you must crimp or use screw-together type fittings, similar to AN fittings for stainless reinforced rubber hose. The hose and crimp collar are cold formed and locked into the fitting, by way of mechanical pressure by the fitting or crimp collar. But for low pressure apps like the PS supply line from the reservoir to the rack, or the oil cooler lines from the block to the cooler, this will work.

Comment

this is awesome^

-
        Project
        Parts for Sale
        Feedback
        YouTube Channel

Comment

So for, let's say, ac hoses/lines, this method wouldn't work?

Comment

I would just use something a little better than a Home Depot hose clamp. Maybe ABA clamps or factory bmw clamps, even those mini t-bolt clamps should do the job. Anything that has uniform sealing pressure and doesn't cut into the hose, really... Personally, I probably wouldn't use it on the high pressure side unless I was in a bind. Don't take my word for it though, my old work stopped doing AC lines before I worked there. If it blows up and you die or anything in between living and dying, not my fault.

Comment

Thanks D. Im gonna have to do this soon, my PS system leaks so damn much.
              harry/harout

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                I would just use something a little better than a Home Depot hose clamp. Maybe ABA clamps or factory bmw clamps, even those mini t-bolt clamps should do the job. Anything that has uniform sealing pressure and doesn't cut into the hose, really... Personally, I probably wouldn't use it on the high pressure side unless I was in a bind. Don't take my word for it though, my old work stopped doing AC lines before I worked there. If it blows up and you die or anything in between living and dying, not my fault.
                Thanks. And yes, if I die I will haunt you.

Comment

I would do it the way blueapplesoda just showed if I didn't have one of these at work. Just make sure you get hose that can handle the PSI load of what you are using it for.
                  Last edited by Hey_You; 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM.
                  85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

What size hose is everyone using? 1/2 or 5/8?

Comment

this i will be doing on my roached out e34 power steering. It leaks like theres no tomorrow

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach View Post
                        What size hose is everyone using? 1/2 or 5/8?
                        Bump for answer?

s50 86 325e Project

S50 - BBS - Recaro - BC Coilovers - Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Feedback Thread

Comment

Bump for hose size. Also do I need high pressure from power steering pump to rack?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brahbarian View Post
                            Bump for hose size. Also do I need high pressure from power steering pump to rack?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                            Yup

Comment

thanks man

I did this this past weekend and let me tell you this was no fun affair. without a lifter. overall i spent about 30 bucks for hoses. i forgot what size hoses because there are 2 sizes.. but just bring them to any parts place they should have replacement hoses available

transmission lines that connect to the radiator need a 22mm wrench to remove. I just cut the lines and used a dremel tool to cut off the connector underneath instead of removing the lines from the transmission.

power steering needs a 19mm and 22mm to remove. a pita to reinstall though

oil cooler was very easy needs a 19mm to remove the oil filter housing. while i was there i replaced the seals.. kept the lines on the oil filter housing just cut the press fittings off

Comment

Working...
                              X