No announcement yet.

The semi-Comprehensive M60b40 into E30 swap Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the engine running. It's a 3.5 bar FPR.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I've got the 6-speed transmission so I am going to have to get the front half of my driveshaft modified, shortened and the different flange added.

What cars should I be looking for to take the driveshaft from for that front flange? anything other than 740i or 540i?

Comment

Quick question.

I ordered an m60 engine harness from ebay. Seller says it came from an early 740i but wasn't sure of the year.

It came in the mail today and what do you know, it doesn't have the connector for my x20 on the passenger side.

Has anyone gotten these e38 harnesses to work?

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          With the engine running. It's a 3.5 bar FPR.
          If the engine's idling with 15-20 inches of manifold vacuum, then it has 5-7 psi absolute inside the manifold. A correctly functioning manifold referenced regulator will then show 41 to 43 psi on the gauge.

Yes, 28 is low, but he won't see 51 on the gauge unless the engine's not running or it's at WOT.

Comment

Just want to make sure before ordering, I will need the e34 shifter assembly for my zf310 to work in my e30 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
            sigpic'89 325i
            M60 swap in progress

Comment

Have any of you guys fit a super charger into M60B40 powered E30? PITA?

If I have 540I/6, direct drive train swap into E30 should be relatively easy right? Anybody has a rough estimate (time wise) on the whole project?

I'm debating on getting a clean E30 and swapping everything from E34 into it instead of painting E34.. should be same $$$.

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

2002 Remote Brake Reservoir adaptation

I saw this in the project forum and figured it would be useful.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                you'd think with how much lube Ive needed with this car, I would have a dispenser in the glovebox.

So, the next step in the "I swear Mom its a good car," this brings us to the brakes. I used an iX booster and master with my swap and I love the brakes. Total OEM feel, nothing funny. well, there is that one thing though. The reservoir on the master and the VAC intake boot wanted to somewhat occupy the same space. Didnt seem like a big deal, I already had the 2002 reservoir, new blue BMW cloth hose and the little nipples. The FAQ sections never seemed to mention that the nipples needed a tighter hole (dont we all need a tighter hole?). So, as most of my projects go, the parts collected dust, I had a plan, I just didnt have time. Andrew over at Ireland Engineering had the right part, but I hadnt had a chance to get out there. Long story short, I finally got the parts I needed to finish the job.

This isnt good...

mmmm tight holes, next to a loose and abused one

and then, as usual I hit a wall. Not literally though. I bought a fancy power bleeder about 3, maybe 4 years ago and used it once. Cleaned the dust off of it, and then... saw that the pump was broken. Hopefully I can get just the pump replaced otherwise this is all garbage.

Then the next hurdle was the nipples. (this update is DIRTY!!) The nipples on the brake calipers are 7mm in size. My flare wrench set I bought only goes down to 8 and my box ends go from 8 -> 6.

Luckily the brakes had been flushed within the last two months so they arent horrible, but obviously Id like to fix this ASAP. I am planning on tracking the car in about two weeks, then driving it up to Washington, driving it on the Maryhill Loops road, spending a week in Seattle for a pair of weddings , then driving it back down. Im sure I will need solid brakes at least one time in this next month.

and the adventure continues....
                Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Here are the part #s to get the 2002 remote resevoir setup
                (1)- 21521163714 = Blue Cloth Hose
                (1)- 34321112388 = 2002 Brake Fluid Resevoir
                (2)- 34321102282 = Angula Pipe

total was $65 + shipping

I dont have a part # for the rubber pieces though as Andrew from Ireland Engineering got them for me
                Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                It was good to meet you on Saturday! The grommet part number is 34 31 1 121 911.
                Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-08-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

has anyone figured out what oem linkage works with the 5 speed set up. I heard the e36 328is set works, but have not been able to conform it.
                  Last edited by Old city bimmer; 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM.
                  sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                    has anyone figured out what oem linkage works with the 5 speed set up. I heard the e36 328 is set works, but have not been able to conform it.
                    None that I could find, but it will depend where your engine is positioned. Just cut and weld whatever you have available.
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I'm in position 2. I'm going to take some measurements and see what I can come up with to fit
                      sigpic
                      323i MTEC1
                      Z3 coupe
                      E60 M5

Comment

I apparently was asleep when I posted this in the project forum instead of the V8 swap forum...

Who's been able to keep air conditioning with their M60/M62/S62, etc. swap?

Will the compressor fit and it just takes custom lines, or is there a problem fitting the compressor?

I know the outer edges of the valve covers are right in line with the inner faces of the frame rails... didn't know if the compressor hung out beyond the valve covers or not.

Comment

Just wanted to pass along for you guys doing the M60 swap. Im not sure if this would work with the M62 or S62 but looks like the Dayco 1220 flexible radiator hose fits perfect for the top hose . its 20" long and it goes around the filter housing. I'm using a Z3M rad(ala Ebay) so my connection was even more of a pain since the Rad is pretty thick. I wont know if it will hold up till I get her running.
                          sigpic
                          323i MTEC1
                          Z3 coupe
                          E60 M5

Comment

Hi everyone,

So I got my m60b40 but I need to collect parts for the drivetrain.
                            My question is, what kind of flywheel can I use (stock M5, maybe from another engine?) is it also possible to use a m3 flywheel?

M60 parts are hard to find in here in Holland but M3 parts are easy

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
                              Ok, after some measurements this is what I got. Measuring with a 59.4mm tall level from the top of the frame rail pinch. NOTE: This is after i modified the pan on the M62. There is 1.125'' from bottom of pan to top of subframe. The camera angle is not in line with the reading, so within line of sight i got these measurements

M62: Im measuring 5.5''(13.7cm) from the top of the nut to top of the level

M20: Im measuring 6.375''(16.2cm) from the top of the nut to the top of the level.

So if we do the math, keeping in mind that the nut on the M62 is 28mm and the M20 nut is 22mm.

Center of M62 crank to top of frame rail is 9.16CM (13.7CM-59.4MM(level height)+14mm(center of crank)

Center of M20 crank to top of frame rail is 11.36CM (16.2CM-59.4MM(level height)+11MM (center of crank)

Comment

Hmmmm saw this post in my thread.

So you notched the pan, but didn't lower the engine anymore? Over and inch of space seems like a little much to me

Comment

Working...
                                X