z3 rack swap nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z3 rack swap nightmare

How the fuck are you guys running the stock hoses? and dont say I flipped them, no way. it seems to me I can either have the HP hose from the pump or the feed line to the rack from the reservoir; do i need to go to a shop and have this bent?

S3rious PITA if you swap racks plan on having no PS (still awesome, ive been running no ps for over a year)

Originally posted by bastianshaw View Post
    How the fuck are you guys running the stock hoses? and dont say I flipped them, no way. it seems to me I can either have the HP hose from the pump or the feed line to the rack from the reservoir; do i need to go to a shop and have this bent?

S3rious PITA if you swap racks plan on having no PS (still awesome, ive been running no ps for over a year)
    I bent my stock line into some sort of hodge-podge oddity which worked, but was total crap aesthetically. I mean this thing was looping up and over the engine mount, the rubber portion was looped to make it shorter, it was total crap. I bought another stock line to try again, and strangely it fit just fine with no modifications needed.

You may have seen this write-up, but maybe this pic will inspire some ideas.

Comment

I had to twist mine in a vice.
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

even w bending the line I cant see how it would be easy to bolt these up w/o interfering w the steering knuckle or the low pressure line...can someone running PS w the rack snap a pic of the lines going into the rack?

Comment

I just tweaked the stock lines a little. It's hard to get a good pic.

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I tried to install the line without bending it for a while, but then I gave up on power steering altogether.

I'll probably try again at some point.
            sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

Originally posted by defaultName View Post
              I tried to install the line without bending it for a while, but then I gave up on power steering altogether.

I'll probably try again at some point.

did you feel likw murdering someone or lighting hella shit on fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                I bent my stock line into some sort of hodge-podge oddity which worked, but was total crap aesthetically. I mean this thing was looping up and over the engine mount, the rubber portion was looped to make it shorter, it was total crap. I bought another stock line to try again, and strangely it fit just fine with no modifications needed.

You may have seen this write-up, but maybe this pic will inspire some ideas.

this is the e36 line so its not of much use to me but thank you, im trying to stay positive about the whole thing i guess it just cought me off guard I was nt expecting this much headache

Comment

Does anyone know of someone who has had a custom high pressure hose built up by a hydraulic supplier? I haven't actually looked underneath at the routing and compared the racks but my swap is coming up soon and I'm thinking of having one built in advance
                  1990 332i, 4 door
                  2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                  2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                  2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                  2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Originally posted by bastianshaw View Post
                    did you feel likw murdering someone or lighting hella shit on fire?
                    Yes, but I always feel that way! But seriously I figured it would be a pain to fit the line before I started so I bought a PS delete from Condor Speed Shop just in case.

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                    Does anyone know of someone who has had a custom high pressure hose built up by a hydraulic supplier? I haven't actually looked underneath at the routing and compared the racks but my swap is coming up soon and I'm thinking of having one built in advance
                    I found this from Zionsville Autosport...

It says "This steering hose is a new factory part which has been modified to connect the quick ratio steering rack to the e30 steering pump." so I would ask if "modified" just means bent or what.
                    sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

i used stock e36 lines with only minor hand bending, but i have an m50 in my car, and its a late model... these things may make a difference
                      sigpicFellow e30 enthusiast
                      Dont waste your time hating, aint nobody got time fo dat
                      1986 bronzit 325es- SOLD
                      1987 delphin 325i- parts car
                      1990 scwarz 325is- m50 drift slut
                      CHECK OUT THE BUILD!
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229234

Comment

Im not sure how much the Z3 rack varies from an e36 rack but I've done 2 swaps. The 1st was in to the M10 which had the angles flare connector instead of banjos. That was easy. On the M20 swap I recall using the pump as a vice by bolting the e30 hose to it and prying against the metal pipe on the hose. I was just trying to take some stress off the re-routed hose so it didnt take much to get the angles right.

That probably doesnt help much :-/

Note: I just got my reman e36 rack to swap in to the barn find and I'll probably be punished on that for posting this.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by defaultName View Post
                          Yes, but I always feel that way! But seriously I figured it would be a pain to fit the line before I started so I bought a PS delete from Condor Speed Shop just in case.

I found this from Zionsville Autosport...

It says "This steering hose is a new factory part which has been modified to connect the quick ratio steering rack to the e30 steering pump." so I would ask if "modified" just means bent or what.
                          Cool thanks for that link, another question. Is the standard e36 rack different in dimension than the z3? I see many people claiming to just do a direct reverse of the hoses with no bending while others are doing tons of bizarro twists to make it fit
                          1990 332i, 4 door
                          2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                          2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                          2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                          2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                            Cool thanks for that link, another question. Is the standard e36 rack different in dimension than the z3? I see many people claiming to just do a direct reverse of the hoses with no bending while others are doing tons of bizarro twists to make it fit
                            im highly skeptical of this, i tried reversing the hoses and it no worky

Comment

Working...
                            X