No announcement yet.

Synthetic vs conventional oil myths?! M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the Castrol Edge 5w50 in my E30. It's an Eta and I've been running it for almost 3 years with no problems. It also has a high ZDDP package. Goes on sale regularly at Canadian Tire up here. :)
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I should also note that while I live in the north-east, I won't be driving my car in temps below 40 degrees F. I have a "winter beater" for braving the snow and salt. This car will be run mainly between spring and fall months only.

Comment

Don't use RTV I the gasket or o-ring. A little oil on the o-ring to help it slide in is ok. For the gasket, dry or with some Permatex high tack spray a gasket on both sides is good.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
            Don't use RTV on the gasket or o-ring. A little oil on the o-ring to help it slide in is ok. For the gasket, dry or with some Permatex high tack spray a gasket on both sides is good.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I think you boys are on to something...I got my car delivered last night and the thing is just gushing oil...there definitely seems to be a pool of oil originating from around where the oil filter housing meets the block...so I appreciate your insight and experience. I'll start hacking into it this weekend to verify and rule out any other leaks. I'll post pics and update so the next chump can learn from the experience. hell I may even make a youtube tutorial on the subject. But who's got time for that?!

Comment

Can anyone tell me why I got two O-rings with my oil canister gasket replacement? It recommends two and someone in this thread told me to get two but I only see a place for one...I believe one of the O-rings goes over the male end on the canister housing itself, and another goes on the female end inside the block...please confirm.

See the link. It's #8

Last edited by Nürburgring; 02-04-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

There isn't a place for another O-ring that size anywhere on the engine. M50s have two o-rings sealing some part of the oil filter housing, IIRC, but M42s only have one.
                  Last edited by varg; 02-04-2016, 05:50 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

I just picked a '91 318is last night and have oil leaks pretty much on par with OP. Great info in this thread. Thanks! :thumbsup:

"Not putting miles on your M3 is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend..." -Someone Awesome

Comment

Pm me. I can send you some videos

Comment

Working...
                        X