Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 Weeknesses

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to BMWs, but I'm hoping you can help me out here. I have a E30 that I plan on swapping an S52 into. Unfortunately with a student budget, this swap process is going to take a while so I can do it right. I plan on buying a donor car to make the swap easier. While I'm saving up money for parts, and once I have the donor car, I was wondering if there are any specific things I should do to the engine while it's out of the car. What are the weaknesses of the motor? Aside from a basic service, what other things should be taken care of? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by Melon
    Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

there are a few things that i did to mine before i put it in, mostly just simple stuff.

Vanos seals
    Oil filter housing gasket (where it mates to the block)
    aluminum thermostat housing
    metal impeller waterpump
    oil pump nut with safety wire - this is one of the main weaknesses of the motor

take your time and do the engine harness the right way. pull out the unused wires, make clean connections.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

As far as the tstat housing and water pump, I would just go for the composite ones if I bought them again. The casting on my aluminum water pump is garbage, and the tstat housing has started to corrode and looks bad.

I don't think they even produce the old plastic shit that was problematic anymore.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Fresh headgasket forsure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yeah I was going to do some basic stuff like gaskets and plugs. I didn't know about the vanos gasket or thermostat housing but I'll add them to the list. I was also thinking about getting an upgraded water pump and maybe some ARP head studs.

Let me know what you guys think.

I didn't know about this issue, could you elaborate on it?
          Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
          oil pump nut with safety wire - this is one of the main weaknesses of the motor

Comment

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
            What are the weaknesses of the motor? Aside from a basic service, what other things should be taken care of?
            S52 is old and the whole engine would be weak. Assuming you will buy a whole donor car assuming you will go for lowest price, you will get long mileage abused engine that would need the whole rebuild. And all of this while you are student while you need reliable transportation

Comment

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
              Thanks for the input. Yeah I was going to do some basic stuff like gaskets and plugs. I didn't know about the vanos gasket or thermostat housing but I'll add them to the list. I was also thinking about getting an upgraded water pump and maybe some ARP head studs.

Let me know what you guys think.

I didn't know about this issue, could you elaborate on it?
              That water pump looks like total bullshit. How there can be more water flow with smaller impeller fins.

Stock:

Just buy the stock water pump. It's enough for even +1000hp engines if it's just not broken.

Comment

the oil pump nut thing is pretty easily searchable. Its probably not as big an issue as its made out to be but a little precaution doesnt hurt. Basically what CAN happen is the nut which holds the chain sprocket to the oilpump can loosen and fall of. So the oil pump will stop turning and pumping oil, and engines need oil to run well.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Head gasket and vanos seals for sure.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I'd skip the S52 and just do a M54 swap!
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                      S52 is old and the whole engine would be weak. Assuming you will buy a whole donor car assuming you will go for lowest price, you will get long mileage abused engine that would need the whole rebuild. And all of this while you are student while you need reliable transportation
                      Yeah that's true. But how extensive of a rebuild? Are we talking pistons, rods, bearings, etc.? Luckily, I have a daily already so I'd rather do it right and take longer if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                        That water pump looks like total bullshit. How there can be more water flow with smaller impeller fins.

Stock:

Just buy the stock water pump. It's enough for even +1000hp engines if it's just not broken.
                        Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I guess it doesn't make sense that the stock price is 40 compared to 200.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                          the oil pump nut thing is pretty easily searchable. Its probably not as big an issue as its made out to be but a little precaution doesnt hurt. Basically what CAN happen is the nut which holds the chain sprocket to the oilpump can loosen and fall of. So the oil pump will stop turning and pumping oil, and engines need oil to run well.
                          Oh ok that makes sense, I thought it was much more involved than that. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                          X