Combining driveshafts - yay or nay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combining driveshafts - yay or nay

How bad would it be to take the front half of an m42 driveshaft and match it to the rear half of another m42 driveshaft?

I have two, and obviously one has a good rear u-joint, but the front is notchy as hell, on the other it's opposite. Assuming I align the "new" one correctly would this be that bad?

(Not looking to shell out the dough for a reman - that'll be fine when it's parked for winter)
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

I tried that on my 87. No problems until I hit fresh pavement while doing 75. I noticed a slight vibration on the floor. I switched back to the original half with older u-joints and now it's smooth.
    Give it try, it might work for you.

Comment

Drive shafts are balanced as a unit so the odds of 2 unrelated halves spinning smoothly are somewhere between slim and none
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Check to see if you have a local place that balances drive shafts?

Comment

It'll work just fine. It WILL vibrate a bit more- maybe at 45, maybe at 95.
          And you can always try reclocking it 180 to see if you get lucky.

Locally, it's like $35 to have one balanced.

hth
          t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It won't be fine. You will be able to drive the car but the vibration from the unbalanced driveshaft will make you crazy. It need's to be balanced

Comment

There is more of an issue when the joints are out of phase

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Having done it a few times, chances are pretty good that if you PHASE it correctly,
                it'll work. Pretty well... up to a certain speed.

Shit, I cut 4" out of one once, didn't balance it, and it didn't vibrate under 100...

So try it- worst case is you'll need to have it rebalanced. Which isn't much, compared to
                the cost of a new one.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X