Seeking Sage Wisdom for 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
    Why has noone mentioned Timing Belt/water pump? This should be the first thing to be done on an m20 powered car. Unless ofcourse you have records of it being done earlier, regardless it's easier to change when doing the E to I swap;)

Just got it out of the shop from getting timing belt, tensioner, radiator fan, hoses, water pump, thermostat (standard 180 degree, PO had low-temp, and if anyone's still reading, do you think the standard is ok in a car this old? or should I switch back to low-temp?)
    sigpic

Comment

Best source for Euro bumpers? And I don't have to change my front air dam if I go Euro, right?

I'm looking to defer shop/paint costs until later.

And...
      /______\_o_/______\
      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
      \ #___======___# /
      |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
        Best source for Euro bumpers? And I don't have to change my front air dam if I go Euro, right?

I'm looking to defer shop/paint costs until later.

And...
        Gutenparts.com give L a shout and see what he can do! They come up in the FS section every now and then. Get ready to pay a bit 400-1k depending on how they are.
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Sent message to the mensch. up to $1k! That's big cash... wow.
          /______\_o_/______\
          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
          \ #___======___# /
          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
            Sent message to the mensch. up to $1k! That's big cash... wow.
            Euro bumpers are not cheap ;) Gotta pay to play!

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

So after neglecting my duties today (sorry, nation) I've decided on a H&R Sport Cup suspension setup. I think this will suit me better, as I have no need to run adjustable camber, and I love the way the Cup kit looks on just about every e30 I've seen it on.

This is straight bolt on, no modding required, right?
              /______\_o_/______\
              l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
              \ #___======___# /
              |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

your interior is awful. Give it to me.
                E30 buildy things
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

why is everyone talking about a chip or an i swap.

m52b28 swap is what he should do.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

m52b28 swap is what he should do.
                    Typical r3v comment. Why not s50b30, or better yet, why not euro s50, oh wait, everyone should swap an s54!
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yeah, I was just gonna drop an M62 in there. something nice and easy.

Think I'm gonna stick with a chip, suspension, a little brake love (nothing major, probably start with SS lines and a rebuild kit), and a few interior refreshments.

Oh and euro bumpers (or late model, if they'll fit?).

I don't want to commit to anything too big... cause well, it's my DD, and i need it Daily.

Just to ask, though, for those who've done the 2.7i/Motronic swap, what's the net manhours associated? Dollaz?

Oh, last thing, I pulled out my ecu to grab the number so I could order my chip, which circuit board needs removed to access the ecu? The BOSCH side or the blank side? I pulled both covers off, but stopped there cause I don't actually have the chip yet.

Step 1- ZHP shift knob enroute.
                      Step 2- Caliper rebuild, SS lines (think i'm gonna go with IE, any thoughts?)
                      /______\_o_/______\
                      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                      \ #___======___# /
                      |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        Because the eta chip is the single biggest bang for buck engine mod out there.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

DaButt-

Oh and euro bumpers (or late model, if they'll fit?).

Euro is direct, plastic swap will need a chop in the rear. At r3v main page there is a "tech" tab, click it and learn up.

I don't want to commit to anything too big... cause well, it's my DD, and i need it Daily.

Smart, do a bit over time. Give yourself goals to look forwards to.

Just to ask, though, for those who've done the 2.7i/Motronic swap, what's the net manhours associated? Dollaz?

Depends on your skill(time), for me about 4hrs start to running, I do have the advantage of impacts. The money depends on prices on here/junkyards. On here I would say you can get the needed parts for 300-500 shipped

Oh, last thing, I pulled out my ecu to grab the number so I could order my chip, which circuit board needs removed to access the ecu? The BOSCH side or the blank side? I pulled both covers off, but stopped there cause I don't actually have the chip yet.

Don't chip till you figure out what route you take with the motor conversion. 153 or a 173 ecu is used depending on what you do.

Step 1- ZHP shift knob enroute.
                          Step 2- Caliper rebuild, SS lines (think i'm gonna go with IE, any thoughts?)

Call UUC motorwerks and tell Rob sent Brandon sent you for a complete rotor/SS line package. I Did that for my sister, she LOVES it! UUC makes the best SS lines out there for our BMWs.

Hope I was of help.

Current cars:
                          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                          ~ '87 535
                          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Well, so I'm finally at the point where i'm not afraid to flog the Eta, and she is just singin!

I'm really loving it. About 4 months into ownership and all the "e30 common points of failure" have been changed/addressed.

So the ZHP shift knob should arrive tomorrow.

And the day after... my Jim Conforti CHIP!!

I know I'm going to go broke on gas, because the weather's starting to get nice and Suza's appreciative of all the attention i've lavished on her since we began our relationship, and now she puts out without crying.

I've decided (for the time being) to embrace the Diving Boards. Picked up some Nevr-Dull and plan on giving those suckers the whatfer this weekend. Completed a full clay and wax on Sunday, to outstanding effect. Wasn't a believer in the clay until i rubbed it... wow that's smooth.

So for those interested, the next purchase will be a leather shifter boot and ebrake boot. (do you think the "red" from BavAuto will match Cherry Red from 1984? or is Black safer?)
                            After that, SSK. I'm thinking of the UUC kit, but Ireland's is much more reasonable. Thoughts? My concerns with the shifter are a. I can put it in gear WITHOUT ENGAGING THE CLUTCH (bushings, linkage? or is it something more grave? *gulp) and b. it's generally sloppy as a slut anyhow, so any improvement will be grand.

I know it's slow-going, but these evolution threads are my FAVE on R3V, so I hope someone is enjoying it. Should be posting pictures of the ZHP knob tomorrow.
                            /______\_o_/______\
                            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                            \ #___======___# /
                            |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

At a stand still, you should be able to select gears. The g260 is a good transmission and once you learn it, you can shift without a clutch at all.

I also love clay bar, use Mother's brand. Works wonders.

I'm personally not a fan of the bright shift boots etc, my interior is all stock and in mint condition, intend to keep it that way.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

John, check.

I can select gears while at a standstill w/o clutch. Haven't tried (had the balls to try) it while moving. I love the thing, I just KNOW the bushings are getting sloppy and shitty on me.

Any YES! the mother's clay literally made my car's paint feel like glass. Amazing.

And the color of the new boots (if I decide to pursue it) will be black, just in leather instead. what i'd really like to find is the M stitching gear lever boot.

And is shifting without the clutch an advisable practice?? Doesn't seem like it would be... but i'm not a doctor.

Discuss.
                                /______\_o_/______\
                                l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                                \ #___======___# /
                                |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Working...
                                X