R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Off Topic Lounge > Politics and Religion

Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #2236
ForcedFirebird
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wschnitz View Post
I too get my maps/graphs from opinion blogs.

Not to mention the fact there are no hard numbers in it, painting it as though coal makes up 50% of the countries energy when its at 33% and falling. NG being another 33%.

How about a coal map directly from the EIA...

https://www.eia.gov/state/maps.cfm

Use the map layers and take a look for yourself. Over 90% of the coal burned in the US is for electricity.

Doesn't change the fact that electric cars are ultimately charged by a power plant.

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or.../fossil-fuels/

Quote:
American coal production is currently the second highest in the world (behind China)[ix], delivering 895 million short tons in 2015.[x] The United States has a vast amount of in-place coal resources, over 10 trillion short tons[xi], and has the most technically recoverable coal in the world at 258.6 billion short tons[xii]. From mines around the country, coal is transported to over 500 power plants in the US in diesel-powered freight trains. Similarly, the coal the US exports to overseas markets is carried on ships powered by petroleum-based bunker fuel, a further example of one fossil fuel being used to transport another.

WideOpenThrottleTech@gmail.com

Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
ForcedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #2237
LEANE30
E30 Modder

Send a message via AIM to LEANE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
How about a coal map directly from the EIA...

https://www.eia.gov/state/maps.cfm

Use the map layers and take a look for yourself. Over 90% of the coal burned in the US is for electricity.

Doesn't change the fact that electric cars are ultimately charged by a power plant.

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or.../fossil-fuels/
So what you saying? You have something personal against coal?!?

Let's talk about DC power transmission inefficiencies from wind farm gathering networks, relative to life cycle and creation carbon footprints, shall we?

As soon as carbon capture technology feeds directly into carbon product generation cycles rather than merely bureaucratic sequestration mandates, then there may be a leg to stand on here...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
...because that is what the e30 dream is all about, blowing a load of money effort skill talent and time on a stupid fucking car project instead of making a real impact on the world within the miniscule pathetically short lifespans we hope to squander on petty self centered toys.

m20 oil pan baffle extension plate stencil/cut file PDF
LEANE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #2238
ForcedFirebird
R3V Elite

Coal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Hydro electric:

Nuclear:

Combined in real scale according to MW production...

PEV stations:

Not sure gwb72tii's posts was way out there.

Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #2239
ForcedFirebird
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEANE30 View Post
So what you saying? You have something personal against coal?!?
No. It was the fact that gwb72tii's post about PEV's getting charged by fossil fuels was deemed "laughable".

EDIT: If you read my previous post...

Quote:
I was on the understanding methane was the bigger scare than co2?

Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
Old 01-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #2240
LEANE30
E30 Modder

Quote:
No. It was the fact that gwb72tii's post about PEV's getting charged by fossil fuels was deemed "laughable".

EDIT: If you read my previous post...
Wait... Read previous posts!!!! You are out of your mind, man! ...Who the hell reads previous posts?

...because that is what the e30 dream is all about, blowing a load of money effort skill talent and time on a stupid fucking car project instead of making a real impact on the world within the miniscule pathetically short lifespans we hope to squander on petty self centered toys.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #2241
ForcedFirebird
R3V Elite

Quote:
Wait... Read previous posts!!!! You are out of your mind, man! ...Who the hell reads previous posts?

Nope. this is r3v. Post something in response to someone and wait for the pitchforks!

It is an extremely long thread, and haven't real every single post, either. HA!

Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
Old 01-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #2242
mrsleeve
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title

The shortsightedness of the greenies when it comes to the true environmental impact of their EVs and hybrids is staggering sometimes.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #2243
LEANE30
E30 Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsleeve View Post
The shortsightedness of the greenies when it comes to the true environmental impact of their EVs and hybrids is staggering sometimes.
It blows my mind how few cars on the road daily are 10 years old or older... How's that for an average carbon footprint? The e30 is probably one of the most environmentally friendly vehicles currently still being daily driven in large numbers. If running right, the worst ones still get 25 mpg or better.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #2244
mrsleeve
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title

Our newest unit is 13 years old and my DD is now 20. None of which are great on mileage, but I can buy a lot of gas for what it would take to replace even 1 of them, and the increase in mpg will never make up for that
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #2245
Wschnitz
R3V OG

I definitely don't encourage replacing perfectly fine reliable vehicles you already own with EV's. But If I was in the market for a new car, because my old one was broken, un-maintainable, or otherwise, id look at EVs before I looked at another ICE car.

The 'massive' environmental impact the media constantly broadcasts is extremely exaggerated.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #2246
Kershaw
R3V OG

Quote:
If running right, the worst ones still get 25 mpg or better.
IXs get about 21-22mpg on average. So that's not quite accurate. I do agree about keeping older cars running being environmentally friendly.

That said, the shift to EV being called shortsighted is shortsighted itself. At some point we will shift entirely away from coal/natural gas/oil (30 years?) to nuclear/solar and then things will all have to be electric. And I'm not saying that because of the environmental impact, I'm saying that because of cost. Solar is cheaper now, however the infrastructure is not as robust, but it will be. And then all cars will be electric.

Cost drives everything, so it'd be crazy to think we aren't headed towards an all electric world.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #2247
roguetoaster
No R3VLimiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kershaw View Post
cost drives everything, so it'd be crazy to think we aren't headed towards an all electric world.
100%
roguetoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #2248
BraveUlysses
No R3VLimiter

Quote:
It blows my mind how few cars on the road daily are 10 years old or older... How's that for an average carbon footprint? The e30 is probably one of the most environmentally friendly vehicles currently still being daily driven in large numbers. If running right, the worst ones still get 25 mpg or better.

The average age of a car in the US is now 13 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsleeve View Post
Our newest unit is 13 years old and my DD is now 20. None of which are great on mileage, but I can buy a lot of gas for what it would take to replace even 1 of them, and the increase in mpg will never make up for that
that depends entirely on how much driving one does, doesn't it? I just sold my TDI back to VW and it was great on fuel economy when we were on the freeway but nothing special around town. Ultimately we weren't driving it enough miles to really justify the premium cost of a modern diesel car.

Cost of ownership due to the scandal was about $2000 in depreciation over 3.5 years which is phenomenal.
BraveUlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #2249
Kershaw
R3V OG

That is phenomenal. $47/month to own a brand new car? That's awesome.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #2250
BraveUlysses
No R3VLimiter

yeah and not a cent on maintenance other than wiper fluid

but the scandal would have worked out really bad for us if the car had been totaled during the year of limbo we were in. value plummeted from 20k to 9k in 3-4 months.
BraveUlysses is offline   Reply With Quote