No announcement yet.

320is replica cl find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Wenthe DTM air box, picked it up off ebay in australia with a set of throttles. Been modified and really needs to be restored. Not going to use it initially. Going to run the engine with Evo air flow meter and evo air box first.

I am hoping the engine will be in the car next Thursday.
    Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
    2000 M5 Winter beater
    1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
    1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

In the hole :)

Last edited by clarkson; 09-08-2017, 06:46 AM.
      2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

It runs.
        2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

do a burnout
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

This looks like a great thread but I can't see the car because of hpotobucket, any chance you'd be willing to update to a different host?

I'd love to take a look...

Comment

OK, so in my quest to rehost found this on my aussie car forum

If you are using chrome on a desktop install this extension. Let me know if it works. I can now see my pics on this thread.... But I just checked when not logged in, I can't see them.... so it maybe only ok for the actual photobucket user to see their own pics, but are still not public...???

I will post new pics using a different host, just shopping around.

And here is the link to my aussie forum discussion on the photobucket debacle

For everything car related that you want to say that doesn't fit into the other Forums!
              Last edited by clarkson; 09-04-2017, 11:37 AM.
              2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

Who cares if its a replica, its every bit as good as the real thing besides a silly stamp on the title

Comment

So to all the photobucket users who have created build threads, if you put "~original" after the .jpg in your links your pics will work.
                  2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

Very nice!!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Long story, but after finding an EFI problem that had been bugging me I finally got the engine running well. Took it for a spin around the block and a couple of things to note:

Brakes lol. I barely have them. Need to change fluid and assess. It did get a little better but I do want to be able to stop the thing.

And no traction, so I don't really know what this engine is like. In the wet, with old tires, it just spins. It does feel more torquey than my E30 M3 did, but that was a heavier car and only a stock 2.3. It also revs up like a motorcycle engine... very responsive. Reasonably quiet in the cabin with basically a stock exhaust and intake.

I currently have no blower fan, no stereo, the bare minimum to get it driving. The hood will go on next and I will get some insurance. Then daily drive it.

The issue with the EFI I was having was I mixed up the TPS and the idle control valve plugs. School boy error and what a saga to get to the bottom of the problem. It would not rev up, and I changed TPS, Air flow meter, exhaust, corrected the cam timing, balanced the throttles, checked fuel pressure, compression test.... In the end I am happy I did all those things as now I have learnt a great deal, and the engine is running very well. I am looking forward to some dry tarmac and my first oil change, to see what this engine really does.

I do know these engines get better with a few thousand kms on them, and I have alpha-n and exhaust mods to come. So this is a great starting point, that it just spins up the wheels as soon as you give it throttle.

Depending on how well it goes in this, it might just end up in an '02 one day, or an E30 M3.
                      2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

In second, at around 2.5k-3k rpm, if you are into it, the rear end just breaks loose and goes to 7k rpm fast. (in the wet)

Idle is a bit lopey and there is some crackling/popping from the exhaust on decel.... nice characteristics of a hot engine
                        2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

Sounds like a riot
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

color me jealous
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

Very nice, once you get tires or when it's not so wet out I'd love to hear a few sound clips of it rowing through the gears. Hovering around 3-5k rpm's just wasn't enough for me lol

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Working...
                                X