X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell m52 swap s52

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
      I see them selling for $150 to $170 all the time (pan with sensor, pickup tube, dipstick with tube).
      dang, then I should start pulling more pans and selling them! I picked up my e34 pan, sensor, pickup tube and dipstick with tube (and oil pan baffle)......for literally $20 at my local pick n pull

Comment

S52 dude no question!
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

Going S52 for sure and selling the M52 to my friend. I'm glad he's buying it because I am eager to see how the TU stacks up to the S52. I already have coded out the EWS and cats but will do the secondary airpump soon. All I NEED now is the oil pan

Sent from an Abacus

Comment

Im glad youre going S52, because it's literally a no brainer for you. Just because you spent $600 on an M52, doesnt mean you wont be near that $2,200.00 Dollar mark that the S52 sits at as a complete plug and play unit. For me, I would personally convert the S52 back to obd2. A performance tune from Markert Motorwerks will run you $350 (if they have a sale), and a reworked harness will run you around $450-$510 from Markert or Kadunza. It's a decent amount of money, but I can attest that OBD2 is worth the extra money...The motor will be more efficient, will yield more power, and the ability to get live data read outs and REAL CEL codes make it all worth it.

S54 on the other hand....I would go that route, but easily factor in $10-$15k to be able to finish that swap correctly.
            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

keep it OBD2. Are you on the military base out there? My friend has a few DSMs out there and is stationed in Killeen
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

spiDmang

I ended up getting the S52 for way less by buying a donor car. I also got a tune from a buddy of mine for free. I don't know about this car but eventually I will have an S54 swapped car. I want to take my time with build and do it right. I'm sure I can get it done for under 6k. That's my stiff budget.

Sent from an Abacus

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  keep it OBD2. Are you on the military base out there? My friend has a few DSMs out there and is stationed in Killeen

Yea I'm stationed at Fort Hood. I've seen a few around but mostly at the meets. I've been busy with this swap and my GTi so I haven't been in a while

Comment

Originally posted by Yezus_Krys View Post
                    spiDmang

I ended up getting the S52 for way less by buying a donor car. I also got a tune from a buddy of mine for free. I don't know about this car but eventually I will have an S54 swapped car. I want to take my time with build and do it right. I'm sure I can get it done for under 6k. That's my stiff budget.

Sent from an Abacus
                    I'm just under $6k in at the moment. That doesn't take into account suspension and other refresh parts but that number is combination of going all out on some stuff (Harness, tune, AC, etc.) and then getting some really good deals on other stuff (engine came with the pan and all accessories)

If you're hunting around for deals than $6k is a feasible target

Comment

Yea suspension, brakes and stuff I don't take into account. I'm talking about turn key and anything else I'd get slowly. Anything that involves fabrication or tuning I get for free thanks to good friends[emoji16]

Sent from an Abacus

Comment

The M52tu is a lot closer to the M54 than the M52 so you'd need to get a 728i oil pick up (not easy) and also a wiring harness from Andrew if you don't want to deal with that mess. Also I'd recommend a M54 intake with a TMS adapter and a tune. All of this would probably make it cost a little more than the S52, but I love the M54 (M52tu) motor. Just read what Jorden said about his M54b30 swap. He said he'd never recommend another S52 swap to a customer. The best way to put it is the S52 is for the track the M54 is for the street.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                          Sell m52 swap s52
                          100%

M52tu is a dead end engine IMO. Way more aftermarket for the S52.

I want to say that EWS/Emissions are easier to delete on the S52, but that might be because I have no idea what to do with MS42 on an M52tu.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

M52TU is not a bad engine, you can get a M54B30 manifold and you get a pretty nice bump in power. and since its way lighter than the S52, it makes up for the difference in power (asuming the S52 has a M50 manifold, if S52 keeps the stock manifold, the modded M52TU would be faster).

The problem with the M52TU is that its way more complex than the S52. The S52 with OBD1, or with a programmable ECU, its extremely simple to run. But the M52TU is a PITA.

As for the oil pickup ... you need to either go for a hard to get 728i part ... or cut the e34 525i part and weld it to the stock part (with the risk of having the weld fail and losing oil pressure).

Also, when mounting the engine, using the mounting arms from the E36 on both sides, the engine wouldnt fit. it was just too narrow. luckily i had the E46 driver side mounting arm aswell, and i found out that the one for the driver's side was actually an inch longer. so i ended up mounting the engine with the E36 arm on the right side, and the E46 one on the left side. I measured justo be sure and the engine is straight and centered this way.

i went with the M52TU, only because engines down here are really hard to get and expensive, and i got this engine cheap and in pristine condition. but if i had the option to go S52, i would have gone that way with no doubt.
                            ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

S52 is already OBD2 with reprogrammable ECU. Way easier to keep it that way than swap everything to OBD1(also the diagnostics/live data thru INPA are fantastic to have for fault diagnosis.) If you are somewhat computer inclined you can read/write/modify/datalog it for <$100 in cables and software.

As far as the "dead end engine" comment, I mean that there are loads of options for cams and other aftermarket bits for the single vanos m/s50/2 engines vs the dual vanos ones.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Just send your ECU off to 328i Junkie and buy a harness from Andrew325is after thats its easy. Also the 3.0 manifold doesn't really flow any better than the 2.5 according to TMS I grabbed 2.5 since it was more common in the yards.
                                My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X