e30 m42 with e36 m3 mounts & idle vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
    I have some solid UHMW mounts I got off a member for like $70. You want to feel a rattle, my car seems like it is going to shake apart when idling. I've been thinking of getting better mounts since the ones I have sit my engine a little higher anyway.
    I sure hope you reinforced the crossmember, that sounds like a recipe for fatigue cracks.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      I sure hope you reinforced the crossmember, that sounds like a recipe for fatigue cracks.
      Word. My m42 killed the crossmember on stock mounts somewhere near 170k miles lol

-Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

There's a hole in the side of my subframe.

The e28 mounts also raise the motor a little, correct?
        "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
        1991 318is - the cruiser
        1989 325i - the rats nest

Comment

They were a little taller than my old sagging oem mounts, probably not much if any taller than new ones.

I'm worried about my crossmember. I see no cracks, but I have stiffer than stock mounts, a car with ~200,000mi on it, and the added stress of more than twice stock power output. I should probably drop it and weld plates in some day, it's just not an easy job to do in a driveway.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by mrmckie View Post
            There's a hole in the side of my subframe.

The e28 mounts also raise the motor a little, correct?
            E28 mounts raise the engine slightly, but not enough to worry about. If it weren't for the constant abuse the track car takes it'd have stock mounts.

Comment

They were a little taller than my old sagging oem mounts, probably not much if any taller than new ones.

I'm worried about my crossmember. I see no cracks, but I have stiffer than stock mounts, a car with ~200,000mi on it, and the added stress of more than twice stock power output. I should probably drop it and weld plates in some day, it's just not an easy job to do in a driveway.
              Yeah, what a pain in the butt to do. I had a whole afternoon in taking the whole suspension out and like 2-3hrs in making my own plates and another 5-7 hrs putting it all back together. The steering linkage and ps hoses take forever The car was down a whole weekend, and I was out there working on it most of the weekend ugh.
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Nope.

I have a spare cross member somewhere I plan to reinforce when I get the chance, but for now I just hope it holds.
                -Dee
                5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Working...
                X