S62 e30 handling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S62 e30 handling questions

So I am curious about how well the E30 will handle with the S62 V8. It is something I have been pondering for a while and if it handled pretty well it's something I may consider doing.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

I'm in the process of building one also. Any input would be great.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've tried my best to figure this out myself, and what I've come up with:

-general consensus is the m60 engine is just heavier than an m50, let's say with a 5 speed trans apples to apples maybe 20-40 lbs over that which is 20-40 over an M20. The m60 packaging advantage length and height wise is probably enough to be similar in feel to an M50. Every m20-m60 swap I've seen reports a little nose heavy feel, this seems to happen similarly with 24v swaps.

-according to Aquila Racing, the m60 is 10 kg below an ls series engine perfect apples to apples comparison. An s62 with all it's extra goodies should be comparable to an LS, even if the engine is a tad heavier remember the trans is 15-40 lbs ish lighter than a T56 depending 5 or 6 speed. The blocks weigh just over 60 lbs, m60 heads with gears 57 each (weighed heads myself). Crank is light at 41 lbs, so short block is not porky. Anybody with an LS swap will be valuable input.

In any case I absolutely wouldn't be worried as long as you're able to adjust a little bit with your springs and shocks, haven't heard any complaints from any aluminum block v8 swaps.

Comment

I have an ls3 swapped vert. Handling is good with Ireland engineering race Springs. I had h and r springs but the car would squat so low under acceleration that the tires would rub. I'm now building a s62 swapped e30 m3 because I bought the chassis without an s14. My other e30 m3 has a 2.5 s14 and I can't stand having that little power plus I can't find an s14 for it. I will make a build thread eventually but need this handling input so I don't waste the money I wasted building my ls swapped e30.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll bet the nose heavy feel won't be as bad as with some of the 24v swaps. If you go by the engine weight info seen here http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/engines.html it'll have a lot less weight over the nose than an S54 swapped car, and even though the engine is a little heavier than an S52 the weight is further back.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

I have no experience with the swap, but, since you'd be adding a lot of power, could you ad some weight to the trunk to offset? Might even help with traction?

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
              I have no experience with the swap, but, since you'd be adding a lot of power, could you ad some weight to the trunk to offset? Might even help with traction?
              Had the same thought here. Do you think placing a fuel cell in the trunk and deleting the stock tank would help with distribution?

Comment

you may notice there to be a slightly heavier front end but that can be fixed with suspension mods.

at the point you are at, i would say you would be crazy to not install that engine in your m3. you obviously already have the chassis and the engine. what more could you possibly want? you will add perhaps 100lbs to the front of the car but you are going to double the horsepower! who cares about a little extra weight in this trade off? unless you are some precision professional driver, you will notice the kick in the pants a LOT more than any lesser handling characteristics.

don't be a wuss. do it!
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Unless you're Michael Schumacher, there is no way you will notice 100lbs more in the front end. It's like having your 12-year old as a passenger -- don't believe all of the stuff Car & Driver, etc say about such things. Besides, with 350hp and 350lbft of torque, weight is no issue. Our swap will spin the tires at 60mph in 3rd gear. We weighed before and after the swap and gained about 90lbs.
                  E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                  email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
                  E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
                  E30LS1@gmail.com
                  e30ls1.com

Comment

I honestly don't feel any difference in my M60 swap. the only thing I notice is all the wheel spin when I floor it.
                    sigpic
                    323i MTEC1
                    Z3 coupe
                    E60 M5

Comment

Engine Weight

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                      Unless you're Michael Schumacher, there is no way you will notice 100lbs more in the front end. It's like having your 12-year old as a passenger -- don't believe all of the stuff Car & Driver, etc say about such things. Besides, with 350hp and 350lbft of torque, weight is no issue. Our swap will spin the tires at 60mph in 3rd gear. We weighed before and after the swap and gained about 90lbs.

Have you driven 2 of the same cars with different engines? Even 50lbs is noticeable!

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                        Unless you're Michael Schumacher, there is no way you will notice 100lbs more in the front end.
                        That's patently untrue. Drive a 318is and a 325is back to back then try to tell me that. It's only a 70lb combined difference between M20/G260 and M42/G240

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                          I honestly don't feel any difference in my M60 swap. the only thing I notice is all the wheel spin when I floor it.
                          Me too.
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Weight

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            That's patently untrue. Drive a 318is and a 325is back to back then try to tell me that. It's only a 70lb combined difference between M20/G260 and M42/G240
                            That's what I'm basing my opinion on. I've owned a 318is and 325is at the same time. I also have a s14 M3 and a s52 325is swapped car. Big difference in handling when you actually go drive the cars hard and take corners with both. I've given numerous people rides in both my cars back to back and the feeling was mutual. The s52 car also had better suspension than my M3 had. Now if your talking straight line or cornering slow then I'll agree you can't feel a difference.

Comment

In my research, an s62 is actually a very light engine. it weighs almost 100 pounds less than an m50. however it would still take more oil, and it would be silly to do this swap without a 6 speed(just my opinion). But still even with those two add ons, youre probably still quite a bit less than m50 and right around what an m20 weight is. I've been considering this swap as well, but have never driven one, but I'd assume it would feel pretty normal. check wikimotors!! they have great numbers and statrs for you to compare!

Comment

Working...
                              X