The dreaded 1990 325i auto sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Just search it, there are probably 10 good threads covering manual swaps. But if you can't be bothered to look up that information it's likely that a manual swap wouldn't be easy for you.
    Seconded.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

For me, it was an auto M10 in an 84 318 that made me fall in love with E30's.

Never personally owned an auto E30, but have driven em. Different strokes for different folks.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Wow, so much aggro towards OP.

His question was why people dislike 4-doors and automatics so much. Chill guys.

OP, most people on here don't like automatics because they're enthusiasts/track day Schumachers. There's nothing inherently wrong with the gearbox (aside from the oiling issues in neutral), so that's why you've had such good luck with yours.

The 4-door bit? I honestly don't get it. The shell is the same. The spec cars do just as well as 2-doors. Aesthetics, maybe? I find 2-doors less practical and less useful on a daily basis, but that's just me. At the end of the day, who really cares?
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Well said ^
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            Wow, so much aggro towards OP.
            I didn't sense any aggro. I think most people where like "who cares what people think, enjoy it!"
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

The only real, daily bummer for the sedan is the head check-
              for me, the b pillar is right where I want to look for the moron
              on the motorcycle who's hiding in my blind spot.
              2 door, I can see 'em better.

Otherwise, 4-door race cars are so much easier to live with and work on...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I drove mine as an automatic for years. Autox, track days,beat the shit out of it. Rarely saw any of the "faster" MTs come out to an event.

It is what it is, but i would never go back. Almost every BMW made now is AT - meh. I dont even like it more for traffic.

Funny thing, I've had a 4 door E30 for so long, in my mind they are all 4 doors.. They are basically the same, anyway.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  Funny thing, I've had a 4 door E30 for so long, in my mind they are all 4 doors.. They are basically the same, anyway.
                  But it's true, they are all sedans (maybe not the 'verts).

Comment

never the less... i will say that i beat the car to shit over the years. i used it as a catering vehicle, child transporter and city thrasher, lived on the street... dings, dents, rear ender shit broken all over it...even a wash and detail, she still was beaten... yet i have maintained the engine...

i won the exterior refinish at the e30 picnic in 2015... after a year of work and about 7k...its in very good shape right now...haury's did an exceptional job on the paint. original color, glacier blue. the vietnamese dudes i met in Top Hat loved the story and took real pride in the body work.
                    i've kept it oem for the most part...

Home for all your photos and videos, automatically organized and easy to share.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    '90 325i sedan daily driven
                    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

I drive a manual transmission 318is in 45 minutes traffic everyday and it hasn't bothered me yet... going on 10 months. Then again, I don't have an oversprung clutch or an under-leveraged short shifter.
                      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Swap check list
                        Buy 5spd, pedal, resivior, drive shaft, and wires. Take old junk out, put new junk in. Viola

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                          The only real, daily bummer for the sedan is the head check-
                          for me, the b pillar is right where I want to look for the moron
                          on the motorcycle who's hiding in my blind spot.
                          2 door, I can see 'em better.

Otherwise, 4-door race cars are so much easier to live with and work on...

t
                          Maybe it's a height thing, but I've got my mirrors adjusted in such a way that I've removed all blind spots. I've got half a car overlap between each mirror and my peripheral vision, and I've been able to successfully track a motorcycle through both sides of the mirrors without losing it as well.

I could see it making a difference, though.
                          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                            Swap check list
                            Buy 5spd, pedal, resivior, drive shaft, and wires. Take old junk out, put new junk in. Viola
                            don't need a resivior. they are the same part. just cut the end of the nipple off for the clutch line that's already there.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had never driven an auto E30 until the one I bought for my project. I am changing to a manual with my engine swap, but I have to say I was surprised on how well the auto in this car did at 200k plus miles.

I am sure it was never serviced seeing the shape my car was in and it ran very well, better then most auto's I have driven. If it was a daily I would not mind the auto at all.
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I've got my mirrors adjusted in such a way that I've removed all blind spots.
                                Yeah, me too, but the pillar gets in the way of the head check-
                                when you do that last- minute peripheral- vision idiot glance.
                                The B- pillar's right there when I have the seat adjusted to be right for the pedals.

It's not a big thing, it's just... a thing...

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X