Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 years - 1991 325ix, Stroker/5-Speed (N52 swap?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the smaller of the two Harbor Freight units and found it barely did anything. The lid eventually got broken off of it and then was thrown in the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Also, ultrasonic parts cleaners are friggin' awesome. my father in law bought one at HF and let me test it out. I just grabbed some random bolts and the grungiest parts I could find and threw them in with a solution of simple green & water for 5 minutes. Everything I put in there came out looking brand new - I've gotta get me one of these things! I was worried about cleaning some of the build on parts of the head, but now I know I can just toss them in there for a few minutes and they'll come out spotless. That means I only need to replace worn parts, and not spend a week scrubbing everything by hand.
      Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      I am on my 4th or so ultrasonic cleaner from them. The plastic tends to get brittle with degreasers, and make sure your fingers are dry before touching the buttons, or they will zonk out from the water leaking around the edges of the panel. I put a piece of clear packaging tape over the last panel, seems to be helping.
      Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
      ill agree ultrasonic cleaners are awesome, i have the bigger harbor freight one and im seriously considering buying a countertop industrial unit, works great on caliper brackets that pads wont slide in lol
      After playing with electrolytic rust removal, now I want an ultrasonic cleaner. I didn't know HF had them, but comments on their durability are pretty much as expected. Are they built so that when the plastic tank takes a dump, I can have a local fab shop whip up a SS tank and just bolt the HF noisemaker to it? Or is it not serviceable to that level?

Comment

The one i have has a SS tank.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

so I wouldn't be surprised if my compression and leakdown numbers weren't great, plus any number of other things that could be wearing out.
          My compression is all 160-170, but I'm still on the stock narrowband and haven't tried tuning megasquirt at all, so that might be my issue. Been so busy. I'm about to have a whole lot more free time though, because I'm quitting my job today, haha.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

potentially, I have an EWS delete. I don't have my fingers crossed because I'm probably wrong - but I'm starting to figure this shit out. Lots of patching/hacks to make it work.

The bad thing is I can't really test it beyond looking whether the bits I want to be 0 change correctly - for some reason MSV70 doesn't like the 60-2 crank sensor output of my bench setup. It picks up RPM for a few seconds, then crashes. That's the only way to see if the injection and ignition channels are active..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

well, I can't believe it - but it worked! I mean, I've only been beating my head against the wall for 2 years, but:

Code:
              apiJob("MSV70","status_ews_lock","","")

Satz : 0
                OBJECT                          = msv70
                SAETZE                          = 1
                JOBNAME                         = status_ews_lock
                VARIANTE                        = MSV70
                JOBSTATUS                       = 
                UBATTCURRENT                    = -1
                UBATTHISTORY                    = -1
                IGNITIONCURRENT                 = -1
                IGNITIONHISTORY                 = -1
              Satz : 1
                JOB_STATUS                      = OKAY
                _TEL_AUFTRAG                    = 5 Bytes
                  0000 : 82 12 F1 21 49                                     ?.ñ!I
                _TEL_ANTWORT                    = 3 Bytes
                  0000 : 61 49 00                                           aI.
                [B]STAT_EWS_LOCK_WERT              = 0 [/B]                00 00  ..
              That last line is the critical part. If it's 1, then the injector and ignition channels are disabled. There's actually another one for the injector channel which I have turned off as well.

I should be able to do MSS70 to - if anyone with a Z4M parts car is swapping it into an E30. ;)

as an aside - MSS60 and MSS65 have similar architectures, so I could probably do it there too.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Congrats on the break through!
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

The one i have has a SS tank.
                  From Harbor Freight? Wild. I expected it would be made of newspaper

well, I can't believe it - but it worked! I mean, I've only been beating my head against the wall for 2 years, but:

I should be able to do MSS70 to - if anyone with a Z4M parts car is swapping it into an E30. ;)

as an aside - MSS60 and MSS65 have similar architectures, so I could probably do it there too.
                  Awesome, dude! Rock and roll!

Now I have to see if an N62 E70 X5 oil pan will fit an S65 ;-)

Comment

yeah, it's stainless for sure. maybe it's the bigger one? I dunno, I never go to HF - he just brought it over for me to try.

It might. The oil pickup is way different on the S65 though. you might be able to frankenpan them together though.

what's an S65 weigh?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Congrats on your breakthrough, one step closer to being done.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

yeah, it's stainless for sure. maybe it's the bigger one? I dunno, I never go to HF - he just brought it over for me to try.

It might. The oil pickup is way different on the S65 though. you might be able to frankenpan them together though.

what's an S65 weigh?
                        Interdasting... I'll go look for those next time I'm in the HF down the street.

Dunno... it's probably not much lighter than an S62, if at all. It *is*, however, way easier to get 430+ to the wheels out of an S65.

AWD transmission for it? That's another fun question.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          Congrats on your breakthrough, one step closer to being done.
                          Only 999,999 steps left to go. :-P
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

EWS delete is confirmed working! Need to port it over to mss70. I think I'm the only person in the world who has done it on these DMEs - MS45 is next. :-)

I also have an RSA checksum delete, but i found that by pure luck. However, it means i can use WinkFP to flash modified files.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              Dunno... it's probably not much lighter than an S62, if at all. It *is*, however, way easier to get 430+ to the wheels out of an S65.
                              The Aquila CR1 has a bunch of different V8s fully apple to apple including same trans. Weight listed is S65 = LSx = M60 + 10 kg, so I'd agree by the time the M60 transforms into the S62 it's probably just a bit above the 65.

well, I can't believe it - but it worked!
                              Congrats!

Comment

Just an update for my own sanity - still working on the house/other things, so the garage is a disaster and I can't do much to the engine yet. But I'm still working on "soft" parts of the build.

Made some more progress on software - RSA/EWS delete fine tuning, and also now checksum corrections for the boot sector and program segments (I already had it for the parameter segments).

Actually other than deleting error codes and relatively easy stuff, I don't think I have anything else that absolutely needs to be done to get this thing started. I mean, other than building a motor, wiring it up, and installing it...
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X